Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-01-2006, 10:42 AM

Default Re: The Most Underestimated Movie?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Tremors

[/ QUOTE ]

Everyone knows that Tremors was awesome.

[/ QUOTE ]

I almost listed Tremors under the "Guilty Pleasures" thread, but decided there could be no guilt in enjoying this masterpiece of film making. I don't know how Reba missed out on an Oscar, but that's an entirely different bag of worms--intertextually speaking.
Old 08-01-2006, 11:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
that's an entirely different bag of worms--intertextually speaking.

[/ QUOTE ]

Here in New England it's "can of worms." You use bags, huh?

I won't comment on the "intertextually speaking."

John
Old 08-02-2006, 09:37 PM

Ha. I just finished watching Uncle Buck again. It was on one of my HBO's. I'm totally nominating that movie. Also, The Great Outdoors. I love John Candy.
Old 08-02-2006, 11:26 PM

"I won't comment on the 'intertextually speaking'."

You just did. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 08-03-2006, 12:38 AM

Another great and definitely under rated and under shown movie is Dennis Potter's "Brimstone and Treacle" . This movie stars Sting (the singer from "The Police") in the lead role. The movie was (still is?) banned in England. It only had a week run here in Australia, yet is a masterpiece as are most of Potter's work, imo.

Originally a play for TV, the film version directed by Richard Loncraine and starring Denholm Elliott (Bates), Joan Plowright (Mrs Bates), Suzanna Hamilton (Pattie) and Sting (Martin) was released in 1982.
Old 08-03-2006, 02:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
PS(for Matt Sklansky). Please Miamipuck, could you change you avatar, I want to point this post to my mother. She would not appreciate. It seems entirely out of context.

[/ QUOTE ]

I may be off base or out of my mind here but somehow in the deep recesses of my brain I think there is some sort of connection between a post you made in response to my friend John Cole's story in the Lounge and a somewhat joking request I made in that same thread to you regarding your previous avatar (if you in fact had a previous avatar with a certain finger extended) possibly offending my mother. I think I asked you to change it using virtually the same words you used above (kiddingly of course) and your post nor my request is no longer there.

Just curious, I do wonder at times if I am losing my mind. And if I'm not losing my mind I'd sure like to know when my posts get deleted [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

~ Rick
Old 08-03-2006, 02:38 AM

Hiya Rick,

No, you are not loosing your mind. Following yours or someone comment about my avatar on this forum, my avatar was deleted as deemed inappropriate for this forum. So I took a few digs, decided to keep my avatar and refrain posting on this forum, in the name of freedom and non censorship. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I communicated this to the mod allowing/suggesting to him, him to delete my posts where they were offensive, as I rather liked my avatar and the offense is in the eyes of the one looking, anyway.

To make a long story short, I could not resist the fruity posts on the TLR forum. So I changed my avatar, to one that is deemed as offensive in some culture (in the same way as the previous one), but not the culture from the moderator, and all his well, it seems, albeit a few post were deleted, including, I guess, some responses to mine.

In summary, you are NOT losing your mind. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-03-2006, 02:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Because "The Patriot" was Braveheart re-made into a scenario that people actually cared about. Who cares about Ireland in the 1300's or whataver. It also wasn't 18 hours long and it didn't have a grotesquley disgusting ending, and it was just totally awesome.

And Air Force 1 rules. Harrison Ford sneaking around killing people as the President kicks ass.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you imagine Chris Farley reading this post in a really excited voice, it's pretty funny.
Old 08-03-2006, 02:58 AM

I watched Woody Allen's Match Point last night and found it very good except perhaps for the acting by Scarlett Johansson (who was outstanding in Lost in Translation, perhaps just not directed or written well here).

Watching this makes me wonder if Allen's recent films get overlooked because the public isn't pleased with the way he conducted his personal life since his breakup with Mia Farrow (i.e. his love affair with his adopted daughter starting in 1992). Anyway, I plan on viewing more of his post 1992 films. The only ones I've seen so far are Mighty Aphrodite and Match Point.

Prior to 1992 I saw most of his films and was a big fan, Annie Hall being one of my favorite movies of all time.

~ Rick
Old 08-03-2006, 03:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
In summary, you are NOT losing your mind. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well I could still be losing it, but just not regarding this particular matter. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

~ Rick

PS In a way perhaps it's best our two posts in John's thread were deleted (or at least my post). After I finished for the night, I realized I "over-posted" in my friend's very touching thread.