Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Internet Gambling > Software
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-15-2006, 01:02 PM

Default Re: 7/14 - UPGRADES

It takes about 5 min of code to merge a bunch of csv files. Lets say I only want $5/10 & $10/20 NL. A merged csv file would be extremely small. Honestly, this is not a valid concern IMHO.

Regarding bandwidth, I call BS. First, a manual download is going to happen very infrequently in comparison to an automatic download via the program. Second, you are already transferring the data to the local machine (as you confirmed above) so you are not using any extra bandwidth.

Lastly, as many people that have concerns about this and your reluctance to accept a SixthSense program that does not need internet access seems very odd to me. Add in the unbased excused above are not helping your reputation at all; quite the contrary. If you really want a boost for your reputation implement these small additions and not only will your reputation improve your consumer base will as well.
Old 07-15-2006, 01:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It takes about 5 min of code to merge a bunch of csv files. Lets say I only want $5/10 & $10/20 NL. A merged csv file would be extremely small. Honestly, this is not a valid concern IMHO.

Regarding bandwidth, I call BS. First, a manual download is going to happen very infrequently in comparison to an automatic download via the program. Second, you are already transferring the data to the local machine (as you confirmed above) so you are not using any extra bandwidth.

Lastly, as many people that have concerns about this and your reluctance to accept a SixthSense program that does not need internet access seems very odd to me. Add in the unbased excused above are not helping your reputation at all; quite the contrary. If you really want a boost for your reputation implement these small additions and not only will your reputation improve your consumer base will as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

Whoa...

Like I said, this is Ben's side of the system. I explained it best I could. Its possible that my explaination is wrong - I am a very mediocre programmer.

I dont want to get myself into any more trouble, so i'll let Ben look at these posts whenever he gets back from lunch. I'm sure he'll do a better job of explaining it.

-Dan

*edit*
-Just to clarify, there are no automatic downloads. It downloads tables when you click the refresh button, and sends nothing the rest of the time.

And as a side note - you seem to be very computer savvy, and also extremely critical of our program. If you are able to, and feel like spending the time - Install it on a computer without sensitive information, tear the thing apart, and report any findings of malicious activity.
I guarantee there are none.
Old 07-15-2006, 01:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Whoa...

Like I said, this is Ben's side of the system. I explained it best I could. Its possible that my explaination is wrong - I am a very mediocre programmer.

I dont want to get myself into any more trouble, so i'll let Ben look at these posts whenever he gets back from lunch. I'm sure he'll do a better job of explaining it.

-Dan

*edit*
-Just to clarify, there are no automatic downloads. It downloads tables when you click the refresh button, and sends nothing the rest of the time.

And as a side note - you seem to be very computer savvy, and also extremely critical of our program. If you are able to, and feel like spending the time - Install it on a computer without sensitive information, tear the thing apart, and report any findings of malicious activity.
I guarantee there are none.

[/ QUOTE ]
I think alot of people are very paranoid after the RBCalc thing, but I'd just like to say that if Ben Ziegler (the creator of PokerManager [which I trust and choose to use rather than PT]) is behind this, then I would not be worried about security breaches.

Ben has already written alot of decent poker software IMO, and if people are so worried about this then they should be just as worried about PT, PO or PAHUD security (ie: the "phantom sleeper packets" 1 year after instalation type argument can be applied to them just as easy...).

On a side note, if people are interested in watching what data applications are sending, then you can always use PacketMon (it's free) to have a look (assuming no encryption or compression...).

Juk [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-15-2006, 01:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think alot of people are very paranoid after the RBCalc thing, but I'd just like to say that if Ben Ziegler (the creator of PokerManager [which I trust and choose to use rather than PT]) is behind this, then I would not be worried about security breaches.

Ben has already written alot of decent poker software IMO, and if people are so worried about this then they should be just as worried about PT, PO or PAHUD security (ie: the "phantom sleeper packets" 1 year after instalation type argument can be applied to them just as easy...).

[/ QUOTE ]

There is quite a big difference here. The above mentioned programs have a VERY large customer base, have been around for a very long time and at least in PT & PAH's (I dont use PO) they do not NEED to connect to the internet to operate; connection is optional. They also have much more to lose by being a rogue program...
Old 07-15-2006, 01:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Well thats good to hear. Now my only problem is that your definition of manually and want I would like is different. I would want a file I could download manaully via your website (not via a refresh button) so that I do not have to allow SixthSense to access the internet. I can access the internet myself [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Understand my concern?

It shouldnt take much more work to implement this...

[/ QUOTE ]

APerfect10, we might be able to do something like that in the future. But for now, you could just install & run SixthSense using a user-level account (not an admin-level account). You could run PartyPoker in your original account, and just switch user over to the SS account to get the tables you need. By isolating SS to a newly created user-level account, you cut it off from seeing any other information/files on your computer.

Our reasons for doing it this way are not malicious. We currently don't have an SSL certificate on our server, so we had to use our own encryption. We are using encryption because we want to keep the Username/Password safe, and we also want to keep our table list safe on the way down (and only be usable in our application). The only information sent to our server is: UserName, Password, Version, Desired Table Types, Desired Seat Types, and Cookie (session token).

-Ben, Sixth Sense developer

P.S. I just read Juk's message. Thanks Juk. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-15-2006, 05:29 PM

Default Re: New Software Announcement - SIXTH SENSE

Ok, it's working now.
Old 07-15-2006, 06:04 PM

I recall that the RBCalc company blamed the disaster on a rogue contract programmer who added the dishonest code - presumably for his own benefit (ie. nothing to do with the company who employed him, they assured everyone).

The saintliness of the owners of 6thSense is insufficient protection for me.
Old 07-15-2006, 06:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The saintliness of the owners of 6thSense is insufficient protection for me.

[/ QUOTE ]

*flicks holy water*
the body of christ

[img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Seriously though - RBCalc was a program that didnt even connect to a server. I dont see any connection between them and us.

If anything, RBCalc is evidence that whether or not you are making a server connection, you are still vulnerable. You just need to trust whoever you're getting the program from.

If you dont trust me, that's perfectly fine. But ask yourself - Do you really think i'd be standing my ground so firmly on this issue if I was actually trying to scam everybody? I truly believe that server involvement takes this program to another level.

Once the product goes live, and we have subscribers, and we have more to lose, I think that will help establish the trust that seems to be lacking for a lot of members at this point...
Old 07-15-2006, 06:23 PM

I have been having problems getting a login/password. I have requested one be sent to my email address (cwwhitsi@olemiss.edu) several times and I am yet to receive one. I have also checked my junk mail. If you could generate one and send it to me it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Old 07-15-2006, 07:44 PM

Default Re: New Software Announcement - SIXTH SENSE

v1.0.0.17 - 7/15/06

- Added View History Menu option
- Added Avg table VPIP, PFR in the table list
- Added new table limit ($25/$50 NL, e.g. $5000 NL) to Game Filter Dialog
- Added menu to open the top 12 tables in the list (CTRL-Z)
- Changed buttons on dialogs to "Save & Close"
- Fixed server stability issue (can now reconnect to database if it shuts down)
- Fixed Refresh Bug
- Fixed Updated field to use proper timezone comparison

In the very near future - Absolute Poker [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

word up
-Dan