Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-13-2006, 06:24 PM

Default Re: Waiting until it\'s your turn to look at your hole cards?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
.....one special case would always just cover his cards with a chip when he got them and he'd lean back until it was his turn, then look around the table when the action was on him, sometimes ask "who's still in" or "who raised" or "has it been raised" while still not moving (like what's he been doing while not looking at his cards if not following the action). Then he'd lean forward and S L O W L Y (oh so very SLOWLY) squeeze out his two cards. Then pausepausepause, and in S L O W motion he'd muck--he'd slowly pick up his cards, and slowly move 'em forward a bit, and then pause before FINALLY giving 'em a little flip.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would have called for a clock every single hand as soon as the action was on him.

[/ QUOTE ]

Clock woulda been pointless, other than to let him know he was annoying me. He didn't spend 60 seconds on these theatrics. But it was a solid 20+ seconds each time. And with 6 other players each taking about 5 seconds to look and act, it was agonizing. I was on his immediate left so I quickly stopped waiting for his mucking theatrics... soon as he started forward with his slow-motion mucks, I'd muck mine. We'd have two more hands mucked sometimes before this guy would finally flick his cards in. I was just counting on the "forward motion which causes a player behind to act may be binding" rule to keep us out of trouble.
Old 07-13-2006, 08:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
All the MTT advice for newbies says to do this, mainly because some people can't help but become visibly excited when they have a worthwhile hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

So tell me, would you rather be visibly excited when you FIRST get your cards while most everybody else is looking at their cards rather than at you? Or wait until it's your turn when 9 pairs of eyes are glued to you?

[/ QUOTE ]

You're entirely missing the point. Betting patterns will most likely give away that you like your hand once action is upon you. The point is that you don't want to scare off action by tipping off that you picked up aces until several are already in the pot.
Old 07-13-2006, 08:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
All the MTT advice for newbies says to do this, mainly because some people can't help but become visibly excited when they have a worthwhile hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

So tell me, would you rather be visibly excited when you FIRST get your cards while most everybody else is looking at their cards rather than at you? Or wait until it's your turn when 9 pairs of eyes are glued to you?

[/ QUOTE ]

You're entirely missing the point. Betting patterns will most likely give away that you like your hand once action is upon you. The point is that you don't want to scare off action by tipping off that you picked up aces until several are already in the pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Keelhaul him!!
Old 07-13-2006, 09:02 PM

Well, I don't dither with my preflop decisions either. The $5/half hour time charge weighs on my mind to encourage brisk play.