Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-13-2007, 12:16 PM

Default Re: Beauty in the World Argument vs Atheism

'As an atheist I find more spiritual gratification in saying, "I live in a very special place," than explaining the specialness of my surroundings in terms of metaphysical properties (which includes deities).'

There's the hungry kid in a candy store, and then there's the hungry kid with extra motivation. Who's going to eat more?
Old 03-13-2007, 02:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
i have to say tho, i dont think it is an argument that can be 'refuted' as such as it is part of a belief system; an opinion.

[/ QUOTE ]

It sounds like a non-argument.

so, ok, an opinion like, "damn, I'm right, I just know it." followed by much foot stomping and handwaving.

I'm not sure if those are called 'arguments vs xyz' so please clarify whether you are making an argument with logical points that can be discussed or if you just would like somebody to come over and give you a hug.

I'm not sure how you were going to refute somebody elses stance by that method. You may also want to reconcile your original .."I would appreciate any countering opinions" since you state now that there can't be a refutation of it.

hope you're enjoying the dance,

The argument against scientific atheism that isn't an argument and that would like countering opinions since it can't be refuted.

luckyme

[/ QUOTE ]

my point is that it can be debated and argued, but at the end of the day neither side can effectively win.

it is the process of the debate that is important in defining our beliefs.

in essence counterarguments and counter counterarguments can be made, and it is interesting to listen to and understand both sides. however due to this being based on feeling and opinion no side can ever truly win that 'argument'

[/ QUOTE ]

Why? The argument from beauty can, at least theoretically, be dismissed just like the Argument from Incredulity and the Argument from Design, both of which this argument is essentially an offshoot of.
Old 03-14-2007, 01:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

purpose != god.

[/ QUOTE ]

American Heritage

2. A result or effect that is intended or desired; an intention.

How can there be purpose without a purposer? (Ow, that's awkward)

[/ QUOTE ]

I can accept that i dont know the specific answer to this question, but the concept cant be falsified....

why do you assume that purpose DOES need a purposer?
Old 03-14-2007, 01:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]

why do you assume that purpose DOES need a purposer?

[/ QUOTE ]

With reference to the definition how can there be an impersonal intention or desire?
Old 03-15-2007, 12:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Hi all, first post.... dont expect it to be great.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow you must have been posting a lot in the past week...

You do know that when they approve a handle change, that's all that changes, right?? We can still see your past posts and number of posts.

Also, the handle must be somehow related to the previous handle, so as to identify you.

Your previous 200 posts don't give away much, so I'm left with your name and the nature of your post to guess... Because of the name, my first guess is Snowball [see 2nd edit], but I don't think he'd agree with your post, so now I'm not sure...

Edit: Also, natural selection is not random. Things didn't just happen "randomly". Survival does not have to be a programmed thing--it's just what happens when you don't die. And that very mechanism of just surviving longer, given hundreds of millions or even billions of years, leads to natural selection. Evolution. All the animals that are born "wired" to not WANT to survive the longest die out. That's why all of us are "programmed" to survive.

2nd Edit: Just saw a post by Snowball, so I know you aren't him at least.
Old 03-15-2007, 12:55 AM

That actually looks like it came from a very simple, instructional (i.e. one or two instructions and then just letting the process go) beginning. Where did you find it and what is it?
Old 03-15-2007, 10:14 AM

I need to ride the short bus sometimes... it occurs to me that he meant first time on SMP.

Yes, I know, I'm a idiot.
Old 03-16-2007, 01:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
my point is that it can be debated and argued, but at the end of the day neither side can effectively win.

it is the process of the debate that is important in defining our beliefs.

in essence counterarguments and counter counterarguments can be made, and it is interesting to listen to and understand both sides. however due to this being based on feeling and opinion no side can ever truly win that 'argument'

[/ QUOTE ]
although i do not agree with your arguments in the least, this is an excellent post, i feel the exact same way about debates and never feel i am learning more than when i am having an intelligent conversation with someone of divirgent views, although your "arguments" are quite faith based i respect you a lot for this post