Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-13-2007, 04:34 PM

Default Re: Yes, we know your name is Mike Jones. We don\'t care.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Yes, we know your name is Mike Jones.

[/ QUOTE ]

who?

[/ QUOTE ]

Mike Jones. He's a famous rapper, and is best known for singles such as "Still Tippin", "Back Then", and "Mr. Jones".

Glad I could be some help.<font color="white"> [/level] </font>

[/ QUOTE ]
Also apparently there was a time in the (unspecified) past when hoes didn't want him, but the situation has since been remedied.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am interested in having a conversation with this Mr. Mike Jones over the telephone. Does anybody know whis cell phone number?
Old 09-13-2007, 04:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
It is truly sad that the record companies and corporate radio owners are such idiots that rappers who could have a positive effect on youth are pushed aside for the junk that is out there right now. Why don't we blame those a**holes?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is correct... if anyone should be blamed for the state of music... its the music execs that hire these guys.

[/ QUOTE ]

People who buy [censored] music are to blame for the state of music. The execs and artists are just fulfilling the demand for trash.

[/ QUOTE ]

A simple understanding of the music industry, publicity, trends, and marketing would say otherwise.
Old 09-13-2007, 04:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
It is truly sad that the record companies and corporate radio owners are such idiots that rappers who could have a positive effect on youth are pushed aside for the junk that is out there right now. Why don't we blame those a**holes?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is correct... if anyone should be blamed for the state of music... its the music execs that hire these guys.

[/ QUOTE ]

People who buy [censored] music are to blame for the state of music. The execs and artists are just fulfilling the demand for trash.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is kind of where i was going to go eventually, which is why i think people should at least be conscious of what popularizing crappy rap really means. the execs don't just throw this [censored] out there. they support it because it's what we all want. We want to see an angry black man w/ a guns and a chain rapping about being angry and throwing money in the air. It IS our collective faults.

to clarify. I love all kinds of hip hop, and am pretty well versed on the whole genre, but i think i should be aware of what current hip hop promotes to young people, and subsequently what that message means for inner city youth. I say inner city, and not black because there are broader effects at play.
Old 09-13-2007, 04:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Your lack of understanding the roots of Black American culture is probably why you think violent rap lyrics are so odd or out of place. It's easy for people to complain about a lack of eloquence when they didn't have several generations grow up from violence and poverty. Many like to make comparisons to, say, early German immigrants, or even poor black americans of a similar period, but those don't hold water because the social dynamics were completely different across the board. It's not just about being poor, or being black, as much as it's the culmination of dozens of factors related to raising our youth. The lyrics are a reaction to the environment around them. The language used is indicative of the society that raised them. I can only think of one other culture that has endured a similar treatment from the government and surrounding society, so it's not just a matter of pointing out Rock music as a base of comparison.

The issue is so heavily involved with centuries of social history that broad comparisons insult the depth of the 'problem'. This is ignoring the idea that Hip-Hop and Rap is intertwined with black culture in a way that cannot be said similarly for rock music and other social groups. Also, one simply has to look at the current trending away from gangster rap as a sign of changing times. I'd bet that, within 10 years, Rap will rise to a level of poetic license that holds water with similar genres of music.

I should also point out that when [censored] like this sells and is marketed as quality, it only provokes more people to mimic it.

[/ QUOTE ]

The lyrics to gangster rap are about creating an adrenaline/testosterone rush for the person listening to it. Its romanticizes having your back against the wall and having everyone against you. I'm not saying that rappers have any kind of social responsibility whatsoever, but rap lyrics are stupid. Its hard to argue that listening to gangsta rap will have more positive than negative effects on a 13 year old kid.
Old 09-13-2007, 04:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Isn't the sad fact that what some gangsta rapppers rap about is actually happening in the streets every day??? Blaming rap music is ridiculous and IMO, the easy way out. Look at the schools in poverty-stricken urban areas. You have little to no parental support, the funding is not there, and the facilities are in ill-repair compared to schools in different neighborhoods. That in its own is a recipe for failure to all children who attend these schools regardless of race. And I don't even want to get into poverty as a cause.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes, I agree that it'd be ridiculous to blame rap for the problems facing black people in America today. It's obviously a very complicated issue with deep historical and social roots, and trying to simplify it by pointing an angry finger at violence-glorifying rappers, and nothing else, is obviously not very constructive.

My argument is only that gangsta rap might actually compound the problems, rather than merely being a reflection of them. I might be wrong though.
Old 09-13-2007, 05:09 PM

Most Americans are pretty mindless when it comes to their musical tastes. I remember playing Sublime for friends back in high school and the girls I knew would hate on it. Fast forward to the spring of 97 when Sublime starts getting radio play and these same girls are singing all the lyrics to Sublime songs because Sublime is this awesome band they heard on the radio.

The more corporatized radio becomes, the less adventuresome they are getting. The old addage "if it ain't broke don't fix it" is good for corporate profits, but horrible for music. And coporate radio is not about to possibly lose some profits in order to try and help solve some very serious social ills.
Old 09-13-2007, 05:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

A simple understanding of the music industry, publicity, trends, and marketing would say otherwise.

[/ QUOTE ]

Please explain why the music industry is immune to basic supply and demand. Execs can't force people to buy trash. They choose to buy it. If they didn't choose to buy it, then execs wouldn't produce it.
Old 09-13-2007, 05:13 PM

This may be a generational thing, but I think nearly all rap sucks, old and new. I find myself saying the same things about it that my parents said about rock.
Old 09-13-2007, 05:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Most Americans are pretty mindless

[/ QUOTE ]
/thread
Old 09-13-2007, 05:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
you guys remember when you were growing up and your parents all said

"what's wrong with music today back when i was a kid we listened to real music"

and you said "i'm never gonna be like that i'm gonna be cool until the day i die!!!!"

[/ QUOTE ]
my parents said "you can't watch guns n' roses on MTV, that's the devil's music," and called the cable company to have it blocked

but, i kind of see what you're saying