Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: This is a good idea and I do not smoke weed
Agree 20 51.28%
Disagree 19 48.72%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-01-2007, 03:30 PM

Default Re: Do you like the DH poll

The DH was invented to help increase scoring. That problem has been solved. I'd rather see less specialization, not more. I'm in favor of forcing relievers to pitch to at least two batters just to speed up the game.
Old 08-01-2007, 03:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
"In 1968, the New York Yankees hit .214 as a team and finished over .500. Read that sentence again. Something had to be done. "
The league average in 1968 was .230

[/ QUOTE ]

So is the league average in the NL still .230? The DH is not what "fixed" this problem.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're slow...
Old 08-01-2007, 03:39 PM

I think it should be changed so teams in the AL are allowed to have a "Designated Defender" -- a player who doesn't bat, but must go out on defense instead of one of the batters.

Maybe not.
Old 08-01-2007, 05:46 PM

As one poster stated, I like the variation between AL/NL with the rule.
Old 08-01-2007, 09:26 PM

I think I would prefer it if the AL played like the NL.

That being said, I don't necessarily mind the DH in the AL. What I would love would be for the DH to hit for a SPECIFIC pitcher.....so Pronk is in the game as long as Carmona is pitching. If they decide to remove Carmona, then the next time the DH slot comes up to the plate, Pronk can't occupy it. That way it would help keep the strategy of the NL game and allow better hitters to come to the plate.

Does anyone else think that is a good idea?
Old 08-02-2007, 03:37 PM

To all the morans previously in this thread who believe having the pitcher hits increases strategy, Jason Kendall has already been intentionally walked twice in less than 40 PA with the Cubs.
Old 08-02-2007, 03:58 PM

still don't like the DH.

A lot of those who dislike it perhaps grew up in a National League market like I did (Cincinnati).

Reminds me of the first time I interviewed Tommy Lasorda for a pre-game show. He was touring the various Dodger minor-league clubs and I was naturally a bit nervous getting to interview him.
I ask maybe 2 or 3 questions and then he goes into a huge and mostly random rant about how much he hates interleague-play and the DH. All of it was completely unprovoked by me.
I think I asked him something generic about the quality of the Dodgers minor-league prospects and he turned that into something about how he likes that we have a bunch of kids who PLAY HARD and keep practicing hard, etc etc, because that's what the fans want to see, and we also have to keep baseball AFFORDABLE for the fans so they will keep coming, and some of today's changes in baseball just aren't a good idea at which point he rants about interleague play and the DH.

He's turning all red in the face and yelling at me and spitting on my microphone about how terrible it all is. I'm nodding because I mostly agree with him and because I don't want him to kill me. This is the first time I had ever met him and he's suddenly spitting all over me and my microphone.
I started to wonder if he thinks I'm the sole person to blame for the invention of the DH or something.
Old 08-02-2007, 03:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
To all the morans previously in this thread who believe having the pitcher hits increases strategy, Jason Kendall has already been intentionally walked twice in less than 40 PA with the Cubs.

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT.
Old 08-02-2007, 05:39 PM

This "should we have a DH?" debate is one my all time pet peeves. We've had the rule for a bazillion years people! Get used to it. Oh and BTW, not liking the DH Rule does not make you a baseball purist. It makes you an anachronism.

my view here
Old 08-02-2007, 05:41 PM

that's crazy. the rule has only been around for 34 years.