Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Whats the plan?
Tournaments 13 54.17%
Ring Games 11 45.83%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-21-2007, 02:12 PM

Default Re: NBA HoFers

C-Webb is one of my favorite but due to his and probally others in the Fab Five, they got officially written out of the record books by I believe their own school for giving money to players.
Old 05-21-2007, 02:16 PM

Default Has the ratio of HOF\'ers gone down significantly from 20 years ago?

[ QUOTE ]
I don't recall reading anything about this. I only saw people talk about baseball players. Basketball HoF is obviously more prestigious so I assume people know who are going to get in and who aren't beforehand. Today, my friend and I had a quite interesting conversation about who is HoF and who isn't. I am not going to say who I think should be and who I think shouldn't be in, because that's the discussion I want to see in this thread [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

List:
Current:
Shaq
Kobe
KG
Duncan
Nash
Iverson

Retired:
David Robinson
Scottie Pippen
Reggie Miller
Mark Jackson

I am just thinking on top of my head right now. There are some obvious ones and some that aren't so obvious. Also, please feel free to add to the list. I must be forgetting some key names because 6 HoFers in this generation seems a tad little, no?

[/ QUOTE ]

Just looking over some historical stats. Check out the 87-88 All NBA teams:

First Team

Charles Barkley
Larry Bird
Magic Johnson
Michael Jordan
Hakeem Olajuwon

Second Team:
Clyde Drexler
Patrick Ewing
Karl Malone
John Stockton
Dominique Wilkins

Every single guy on both teams is a HOF'er. In addition, McHale, Jabbar, Zeke, Moses, Cheeks, English, Worthy and Parish were all still playing at a fairly high level. That's 18 HOF'ers playing at the same time (and I may have left some out). Are we under-rating players today, or was the talent level at the top of the league much better then?
Old 05-21-2007, 02:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
C-Webb is one of my favorite but due to his and probally others in the Fab Five, they got officially written out of the record books by I believe their own school for giving money to players.

[/ QUOTE ]

really? damn this thread has been informative. i did not know they officially got written out of the record book.
Old 05-21-2007, 02:21 PM

mano,

i think people in this thread and forum way overrate todays nba. sure guys may be more athletic now, but to say Bird couldnt dominate in todays game is insane. guys are getting too much hype when they really havent done [censored] in the nba yet career wise.
Old 05-21-2007, 02:22 PM

Default Re: Has the ratio of HOF\'ers gone down significantly from 20 years ago?

If you look at basketball-reference HOF monitor, all-nba team players are heavily in the HOF. # of All-NBA and MVPs especially are the best indication of HOF entry.

http://www.umich.edu/~urecord/0102/Nov11_02/4.shtml

• Forfeiting all games won while the four players were ineligible, including the 1992 and 1993 Final Fours, the entire 1992–93 season, and all the seasons from fall 1995 through spring of 1999. The University has removed four championship banners that were hanging in Crisler Arena, and will excise mention of any victories from all programs and written materials

• Repaying to the NCAA about $450,000 the University received for postseason play with those ineligible players

• Declaring the men’s basketball team ineligible to participate in the 2003 NCAA Division I Men’s Basketball Championship Tournament, as well as the 2003 National Invitational Tournament

• Placing the basketball program on probation for two years, during which time the president will supervise detailed reports on compliance to be made to the NCAA
Athletic Director Bill Martin said the current investigation, conducted jointly with the NCAA, involved additional interviews with former Athletic Department staff, coaches and assistant coaches.

“Despite our best efforts, we were not able to substantiate the allegations of loans to the four players until the federal government got involved,” Martin said. Nevertheless, he said, the University did a number of things over the years to strengthen compliance with NCAA rules.

Judy Van Horn, whom Martin described as “one of the most widely respected compliance professionals in the country,” was hired in 2001. Martin elevated her position to associate director of athletics and upgraded her staff to include three full-time staff and two interns focused on compliance.

“Judy’s voice is very, very important in our department,” Martin said.
Old 05-21-2007, 02:31 PM

Old 05-21-2007, 02:36 PM

Default Re: Has the ratio of HOF\'ers gone down significantly from 20 years ago?

http://www.basketball-reference.com/...by_player.html

I'm not sure of what is the time between retiring and election, but I'm pretty sure most players 5+ all-nba teams are going to make the HOF.

All 10+ players who could be elected are already in.

Current NBA Players with 10+ More All-NBA Teams are:

Shaq (13)
Duncan (10)

Retired Recently:

Karl (14)
MJ (11)
Stockton (11)
D-Rob (10)

Those with 6+ for the most part are already in, there are 0 NBA players who have been retired 10+ years and aren't in the BBall HOF:

Those currently in the NBA:

Kobe (9)
Payton (9)
KG (8)
Kidd (6)
Tracy (6)
Dirk (7)
AI (7)

Recently Retired:

Ewing (7)-in
Scottie (7)-in

5+ is where you get a little hairy. There are a couple of 5 guys who aren't in the HOF. Most are in though. Those who aren't are Mel Daniels, Artis Gilmore, Spencer Haywood, Sidney Moncief, George McInnis.

Those with 5+ still in the NBA:

Nash (5)
Hill (5)
Ben Wallace (5)
C. Webb (5)

Those who recently retired with 5 who aren't in the HOF yet:

Tim Hardaway (5) not sure about him
KJ (5)- Not sure about him either

Thing is there are a bunch of 4 time All-NBAers that are in.

Those who are in the NBA with 3-4 all-nbas:

Lebron
Ming
Mutombo
Wade
Old 05-21-2007, 03:19 PM

Great discussion! My roommate and I had a heated debate about COACHES. To be honest with you, I don't even know that many coaches get inducted into HoF. It was said somewhere in the thread that there should be a separate one and i totally agree with that.

I think this will be close. But does Greg Poppovich belong in the HoF?
Old 05-21-2007, 03:33 PM

Popovich should get in when he's done. He'll probably get his 4th ring this year and his career winning percentage is up there among the greats. As far as other current NBA coaches go Phil Jackson is going in this year. Pat Riley will be in if he isn't already. Jerry Sloan is probably in. What about Don Nelson and Larry Brown?
Old 05-21-2007, 03:35 PM

LB-In, 2nd in Career Wins. Don Nelson in. Jerry Sloan is in as well.

Most cusp guys are Adelman-Doubtful, Karl-Doubtful. Thing is nowadays if your name isn't Daly, Jackson, Riley, Brown or Popovich you don't have a ring.