Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-14-2006, 07:25 PM

Default Re: $6M Gross - What Do You Do

Alobar,

$200k per year is not enough to maintain the lifestyle that a lot of professionals like to lead in cities like SF and NYC. That means nice house, nice restaurants, nice vacations, good schools for kids, etc.

In general, yes, $200k/yr in the US is a ton for a family to live very well on.
Old 08-14-2006, 07:26 PM

What percentage of college students/students parents do you think pays for school in full every year?
Old 08-14-2006, 07:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What percentage of college students/students parents do you think pays for school in full every year?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not all that high I suppose, although I personally wouldn't quit my job so i could sit on my ass while my kid leaves college saddled with debt. If I could avoid this scenario by simply continuing with my job, I would do so. I think any good parent would feel this way.
Old 08-14-2006, 07:36 PM

I don't know, but I did.
I went to one of those lowly state schools [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 08-14-2006, 07:38 PM

Diablo,

Just to clarify, Im not saying its possible to live on 200K a year and lead a big baller lifestyle. I just find it incredibly funny that there are people who honestly believe that 200K a year wont buy everything you and your family need (including education and all that stuff) to live in comfort and happiness.
Old 08-14-2006, 07:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My friends (a married couple) just came into $6M. They had 50% of Jamie Gold. As they are in my immediate social circle and it's been a dominant topic of conversation, been on the brain - "optimal way to spend the $".

Let's assume you don't have a ton of savings, you live in LA (as does the aforementioned couple) and this is basically your capital base. What's the best way to go about this? Or rather, what would you do?

-Al

[/ QUOTE ]

jamie gold? that is a pretty terrible investment
Old 08-14-2006, 07:49 PM

Alobar,

Someone living in Los Angeles with a house, wife (not working), and child does not need to be living a baller lifestyle to make $200,000 tight. Trust me.
Old 08-14-2006, 07:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Alobar,

Someone living in Los Angeles with a house, wife (not working), and child does not need to be living a baller lifestyle to make $200,000 tight. Trust me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Most anyhwhere else in the country though, and thats plenty, but the OP was about LA, so I think thats wehre the discussion comes in. You could live a VERY VERY good lifestly in the midwest on 200k, even with 2-3 kids etc.
Old 08-14-2006, 07:55 PM

LF Slim - that was always my sense (not married, no kids so don't know for sure). BTW, why does Diablo always mention SF and NYC, but never LA? [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Anyway - I think in general, this money could be "life-changing" but if you're used to living comfortably in one of the higher COL cities in the States, it definitely wouldn't be if you choose to stay put. Sure, it would be incrementally life-style boosting, but not life-changing it seems. And no where near set for life.

-Al
Old 08-14-2006, 07:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't know, but I did.
I went to one of those lowly state schools [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I never said lowly, nor did I intend to imply that. I simply meant that there are only so many state schools; I would like to be able to give my kid the choice of going anywhere in the country he or she wanted to.

Some of the best schools in the country are state schools. I wasn't putting them down.