Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Student Life
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-14-2007, 11:07 PM

Default Re: Ask Noah About First Year of Law School, Getting inTop 10%, Law Re

[ QUOTE ]
What's the lowest GPA you have heard of going into law school. Supposedly nearby UF accepts 2.8 with a great LSAT?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sure people have gotten into Tier 4s with 2.0s. It ain't like Cooley has selective admissions, that [censored] is straight for profit.

But I got into Florida State with a 2.38. I spent almost 2 of the 3 years since graduation being a professional gambler, the only thing I put on my resume was a sales job I had for 9 months where I was involuntarily terminated(I don't know if I was technically laid off or fired, I never tried to get unemployment. I got a letter of recommendation from them, but I was absolutely terrible at the selling part). I only had one letter of recommendation and I applied in like February. Don't [censored] up your LSAT, that [censored] matters.
Old 07-15-2007, 07:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Jeff- I'm guessing you think the book is worth paying $25 for. From the previews it looks like its more of a narrative than a how-to-book; would you recommend it for an incoming 1L? Is most of its value purely entertainment? Any practical wisdom?

[/ QUOTE ]

it's mostly an entertaining narrative.

probably the most valuable thing you can glean from it is that law school is what you make of it and you have to carve your own path. in law school it's pretty easy to just fall in with what everyone else is doing (especially during 1L) and start thinking you have to do that too (study groups, briefing cases, making a massive outline for exams, doing a journal, etc.).

overall it's just a unique perspective on law school. I wouldn't recommend that you try to adopt advice from any one source. figure out what's important to you and then take the least stressful path to get there.
Old 07-15-2007, 08:57 PM

Does anyone have any idea approximately where UBC would rank in the USNews rankings if it included Canadian schools as well? How about U of Victoria and U of Toronto (a couple others I was considering)? I just want to get kind of an idea as to which places I may want to consider if I get accepted due to the fact that the education quality/opportunies/prestige is that much higher.
Old 07-15-2007, 10:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Does anyone have any idea approximately where UBC would rank in the USNews rankings if it included Canadian schools as well? How about U of Victoria and U of Toronto (a couple others I was considering)? I just want to get kind of an idea as to which places I may want to consider if I get accepted due to the fact that the education quality/opportunies/prestige is that much higher.

[/ QUOTE ]

Where do you plan on practicing after you graduate?
Old 07-15-2007, 11:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If you are asking whether I plan on practising in the US or Canada, that is still up in the air. I'm not set in my ways towards either at the moment.
Old 07-16-2007, 05:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If you are asking whether I plan on practising in the US or Canada, that is still up in the air. I'm not set in my ways towards either at the moment.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is pretty big speculation on my part, but I don't think you want to go to a Canadian law school and then practice law in the US. I don't think you'd place very well.

I know practicing law is at least 3-4 years down the line, but this is a decision that should probably be made before you invest 6 figures.
Old 07-16-2007, 07:09 PM

Default Re: Ask Noah About First Year of Law School, Getting inTop 10%, Law Review

this is a really general question, but how does being a varsity athlete factor into this numbers game? all of these GPA numbers that are thrown around for the top 10 law schools are close to impossible for athletes. I am sure it gets factored in somehow but can anyone give specifics on how? this would be for a athlete at an ivy (aka me).
Old 07-16-2007, 07:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
this is a really general question, but how does being a varsity athlete factor into this numbers game? all of these GPA numbers that are thrown around for the top 10 law schools are close to impossible for athletes. I am sure it gets factored in somehow but can anyone give specifics on how? this would be for a athlete at an ivy (aka me).

[/ QUOTE ]

When I was applying, my understanding was that college extracurriculars were virtually meaningless for getting into law school, except perhaps as material for your essay.
Old 07-16-2007, 09:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

When I was applying, my understanding was that college extracurriculars were virtually meaningless for getting into law school, except perhaps as material for your essay.

[/ QUOTE ]

although this is true, i do think that if your resume contains something about how you spent 40 hours week in practice/etc. it will make your GPA look more impressive, a lot more so than president of the asian culture club or something.

Still not a huge deal though I bet. Does your UG have a law school? if so, might be a good place to start.
Old 07-17-2007, 11:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is pretty big speculation on my part, but I don't think you want to go to a Canadian law school and then practice law in the US. I don't think you'd place very well.

I know practicing law is at least 3-4 years down the line, but this is a decision that should probably be made before you invest 6 figures.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I'm aware of the differences between the US and Canadian systems, and difficulties of switching between the two. From my understanding, it is a lot easier to get a degree from a US school and take a minor upgrade to be eligible to take the BAR in Canada than it would be to do it the other way around. This is another reason why I would consider a US school over a Canadian one.