Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Which avatar to use...
They both suck get a new one 11 44.00%
South Park 10 40.00%
Eric Molina 4 16.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-27-2007, 04:35 AM

Default Re: Cigar Thread

[ QUOTE ]
Possible for a Cuban cigar to come wrapped in plastic, as well as pre-cut? A friend brought some over the other night, said he got them in a foreign country and that they were cuban. I didn't think it was possible, but didn't say anything (still won't). But generally, The only cigars I've had that were pre-cut were $1 or less.

For clarification, it's called "Vasco De Gama" and it has "Corona" written on the bottom.

Edit: http://www.wesleys.co.za/VascodaGama.htm

It's the 3rd one down (picture wise) Corona and I believe it is the Claro Sumatra wrapper?

[/ QUOTE ]

Machine made crap, tried them $2/cigar when I was starting out years ago.. nothing cuban about these ones.
Old 09-14-2007, 03:58 PM

just saw this thread in the search.

i've been smoking cigars since i was five years old. obviously i only smoked cigars when my grand dad would give them to me as a kid, but i went from swisher sweets to macanudos to punch punch and everything inbetween over the years.

i dont reccomend you buy a humidor at a shop. buy one online off ebay, and save a bundle. never ever season your humidor with your element, i.e., the element will clog the cedar, dont let the element touch the cedar.

i much prefer a hole punch over a cut on my cigars, it gets less danky.

my favorite all around smoke is without a doubt the rocky patel vintage 1992 robusto, as well as the 60 and the torpedo. a box runs me about $120, so at $6/stick it's an affordable and excellent smoke.

i dont reccomend davidoffs b/c they're over priced imo. the anniversario and the special R are nice cigars, and in general all larger guage davidoffs have excellent draw, but they're too expensive for what you get and you can get a better cigar for cheaper. if you're going to spend $15-$20 on a cigar, try a cohiba or if you can ever find one, an arturo fuente ESG.

when they're avaialable the punch rare corojo is a good smoke, and a robusto will run you around $5.

i bought a box of pre embargo cubans that i really enjoy, but if you want to fork up the cash for real cubans go to www.cigarone.com , they're out of spain and they've got a great selection of cubans. i'd reccomend starting out with the romeo and juliets, montecristos, and if you want something that will really hit you, try a punch punch.

i'd also reccomend rocky patel edge series. they're cheaper b/c he doesnt put a lot of effort into the appearance of some of them, so it saves money, but it's still a great cigar.

dont buy cigars in vegas! they're usually 30-60% more expensive than anywhere else. (the exception being the davidoff shop in cesars)

the best thing to do is go to a shop and buy a dozen different cigars and sample them. hopefully you'll find something you like that's affordable. beware, it's an expensive habit!
Old 09-14-2007, 05:02 PM

edit: i meant ashton esg, not arturo fuente.
Old 09-17-2007, 12:18 PM

Default Re: Cigar Thread *DELETED*

Post deleted by Aces McGee
Old 09-17-2007, 12:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
edit: i meant ashton esg, not arturo fuente.

[/ QUOTE ]

You mean VSG, not ESG, right?

These are excellent cigars.

The Edge is another favorite of mine, and the price is great for the quality.

I've smoked a couple of Avo Blacks in recent weeks and have been delightfully surprised at how spicy they are. Left my tongue a bit numb by the end.

-McGee
Old 11-19-2007, 04:48 AM

Question 1:

i got a humidor as a gift a couple months ago and tried to condition it by putting standing tap water in a for a week. the included crappy hygrometer didn't get above 40% so i microwaved the water till it was almost boiling, then put it in. it spiked to about 70% but quickly fell. i did this multiple times. always went back to 40%. i've had 20 cigars in there, or should i say "sticks", for a couple months, with an open bottle of cigar fluid, and it's never got above 40%. you guys think it's really at 70% or so? Or are my cigars dry? How can you tell? Should I do the sponge?

Question 2:

Do you guys spit while smoking? I had a repeater tonight on my porch. I don't smoke much, but when I do, I'm spitting constantly. I don't smoke too often, and started in high school, when spitting was just as cool as smoking cigars. Am I doing this out of habit, or do all cigar smokers spit? I noticed this because it made it hard to sip on my whiskey. As for the quality of the cigar I had, I bought a bunch of cigars when I got my humidor, some cheap some expensive. I forgot which were which, so I guess I got the cheap one.

Question 3:

Exactly where should I buy a digital hygrometer. I checked radioshack, where guids said he bought his, and they only had an outdoor, combo thermometer thing. Probably not what i'm looking for.

Question 4:

I tried sucking some smoke in through my nose like limon does, and it burned like a mofo. How many people do this? I normally try to avoid this situation, by breathing oxygen into my lungs only when the cigar isn't near my face. Can you guys actually breathe normally with a cigar hanging out of your mouth? That smoke coming of the end of the cigar, and through your nose doesn't bother you?
Old 11-19-2007, 08:07 AM

Question 2: There are about 5 of us that regularly smoke together, only one is a spitter.
Old 11-19-2007, 12:12 PM

Go to cheaphumidors.com for digital hygrometers and tips on making sure its calibrated. I'd link to the specific tip but tinyurl is down.

If you live in a dry climate I'd add HUMI-CARE Crystal Gel or something similar (in addition to the Humidifier that comes with the humidor).

I never spit.

~ Rick
Old 11-19-2007, 01:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Question 1:

i got a humidor as a gift a couple months ago and tried to condition it by putting standing tap water in a for a week. the included crappy hygrometer didn't get above 40% so i microwaved the water till it was almost boiling, then put it in. it spiked to about 70% but quickly fell. i did this multiple times. always went back to 40%. i've had 20 cigars in there, or should i say "sticks", for a couple months, with an open bottle of cigar fluid, and it's never got above 40%. you guys think it's really at 70% or so? Or are my cigars dry? How can you tell? Should I do the sponge?

[/ QUOTE ]

a. Sponge it down with distilled water. If you can't find distilled water easily use Smart Water, it's just distilled water.s
b. calibrate your hydrometer. link

[ QUOTE ]
Question 2:

Do you guys spit while smoking? I had a repeater tonight on my porch. I don't smoke much, but when I do, I'm spitting constantly. I don't smoke too often, and started in high school, when spitting was just as cool as smoking cigars. Am I doing this out of habit, or do all cigar smokers spit? I noticed this because it made it hard to sip on my whiskey. As for the quality of the cigar I had, I bought a bunch of cigars when I got my humidor, some cheap some expensive. I forgot which were which, so I guess I got the cheap one.

[/ QUOTE ]

Some spit all the time. I spit sometimes, depending on the cigar and situation.

[ QUOTE ]
Question 3:

Exactly where should I buy a digital hygrometer. I checked radioshack, where guids said he bought his, and they only had an outdoor, combo thermometer thing. Probably not what i'm looking for.

[/ QUOTE ]

Get the one with the thermometer. Temp is important too.

[ QUOTE ]
Question 4:

I tried sucking some smoke in through my nose like limon does, and it burned like a mofo. How many people do this? I normally try to avoid this situation, by breathing oxygen into my lungs only when the cigar isn't near my face. Can you guys actually breathe normally with a cigar hanging out of your mouth? That smoke coming of the end of the cigar, and through your nose doesn't bother you?

[/ QUOTE ]

It'll stop bothering you after a while.
Old 11-19-2007, 03:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I do this and it doesn't burn at all... I think it's great and obviously stimulates more senses and enhances the flavor greatly.