Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-27-2007, 02:58 PM

Default Re: Thoughts on Humberto Brenes

Brenes seems like a guy that loves life.
Old 05-27-2007, 03:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]

You are only assuming that because Sr. Brenes managed to land both a sponsorship (PokerStars.net) and a writing gig (ESPNDeportes.com).

[/ QUOTE ]

since most (all?) on here didn't know about his writing gig until you mentioned it I think we already have proof that the complaints people have about Brenes' behavior have everything to do with the behavior itself and nothing to do with the writing gig or outside money or whatever.

Nobody cared before you mentioned it and I'm not sure anyone cares now.

These posts by you are just weird because you're defending an argument that not a single person has taken as far as I can see (that people are critical of Brenes' skills because he took a writing gig).

Nobody is really talking about how he has decided to make money with other stuff away from the table because it didn't even really occur to anyone.

Everyone is talking about his inappropriate behavior at the table, particularly when there are cameras around.

THAT is the topic of this thread.

Back to the actual topic of the thread:
His behavior in the 2002 WPO on ESPN (before it was on WPT) which someone mentioned before was pretty unacceptable as well. Walking around and singing badly to the audience to whatever was on his headphones while Seidel was debating whether to call or not.
Classy!!!

I played with his brother, Eric Brenes, for a stretch one time. He sat there and said absolutely nothing and eventually, quietly busted-out.
Does that count for anything?
Old 05-27-2007, 03:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
olivert

stop posting

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT

P.S. Macau? Oooh. I give a flying [censored]
Old 05-27-2007, 04:08 PM

He is a huge prick, he did the shark thing to me deep in Monte Carlo. I just sucked it up and didn't say anything. 5 minutes later I pulled a huge bluff on him preflop. I said "Where's the shark Humberto?" and flashed him a 3. He busted 4 hands later on a horrible play and I had such a good laugh while he was getting up from the table, sweet, sweet justice.

I have a plan for next time I play with him. I'm going to bring a toy shark like his, only about 10x bigger. Then I'm going to trap him with the nuts, and after he pushes all-in and brings out his shark act I'm going to pretend to be in bad shape. Then I'll bring out the big shark, say "call" and flip over the nuts, and eat up his shark. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] I think that would be one of the funniest moments in TV poker ever.
Old 05-27-2007, 04:16 PM

I find his over the top antics pretty amusing. It probably would bother me to be at his table though.
Old 05-27-2007, 06:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I don't see the point of your story? He called Moneymaker with the best hand, and then got sucked out on. Damnit Brenes, such a bad play!!!!!!

Or was it that the finger wag was a single to the dealer that he was ready to leave, so the dealer dealt from the bottom of the deck to put an 8 out there?

[/ QUOTE ]

The point is karma got him. He got cocky turning over the aces and ended up losing. That said, what he was doing in 2003 is a 1 on a scale of 100, with 100 being the obnoxiousness of the 2007 incarnation of Humberto.

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT.
Old 05-28-2007, 03:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Like him or hate him, I understand that Sr. Brenes has a new writing gig for a Spanish-language website

[/ QUOTE ]

Because everyone knows that it's worth it to lose your dignity and respect in order to get a job WRITING for a WEBSTE, which obviously must be paying in the millions.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, what a loser. Can you believe some people will write things for a website for free, even?
Old 05-28-2007, 01:36 PM

Humberto Brenes vs El Doctor (youtube)

how can people not like a man that can bring out such an atmosphere? he brings a party to poker tables!
Old 05-28-2007, 02:05 PM

dunno, mebbe nice guy, but something about a grown man prancing around in a jester's hat playing with a shark toy...just thinking about it puts me on insta-perma-monkey-tilt
Old 05-28-2007, 03:24 PM

I would like to congratulate Oliver Tse for another successful thread hijack.

Kudos!