Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-11-2006, 09:41 AM

Default Re: best drummer of all time

There's a Dream Theater concert on MHD (the MTV HD channel), and after watching that I'd have to say Mike Portnoy is certainly approaching best (rock) drummer of all time.

For jazzy music Carter Beauford might take it.
Old 10-11-2006, 11:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Not trying to be harsh...but do people really think Carter Beauford is a great drummer, or is DMB the only band from which they know the name of the drummer? I don't see him as anything special at all...

[/ QUOTE ]

Not trying to be harsh, but that's a stupid thing to say. I doubt Drum and Modern Drummer have had him on their covers multiple times because he's the only drummer they know the name of.
Old 10-11-2006, 11:16 AM

Old 10-11-2006, 12:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Not trying to be harsh...but do people really think Carter Beauford is a great drummer, or is DMB the only band from which they know the name of the drummer? I don't see him as anything special at all...

[/ QUOTE ]

Not trying to be harsh, but that's a stupid thing to say. I doubt Drum and Modern Drummer have had him on their covers multiple times because he's the only drummer they know the name of.

[/ QUOTE ]

Being on the cover of a magazine is not a sign of greatness...or even decentness.
Old 10-11-2006, 12:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Bill Bruford deserves to be mentioned.

[/ QUOTE ]

No he doesn't. Work with him on a Yes album like I did and you will change your mind. We had to quantize his MIDI kit and re-record his cymbals using a session musician so his ego wasn't hurt.

TT [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

This was during that terrible Union album I guess?
Old 10-11-2006, 01:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Being on the cover of a magazine is not a sign of greatness...or even decentness.

[/ QUOTE ]

Indeed. However, I really doubt that Drum and Modern Drummer have a lot of readers who would appreciate seeing a hack on the cover just because he's well known. They put him on because he's good. Regardless, you're still wrong.
Old 10-11-2006, 01:51 PM

Rodney Holmes. Here and here. He plays with this guy who is one of the best guitar players alive IMO.
Old 10-11-2006, 02:33 PM

Stew Copeland = underrated.
Old 10-11-2006, 03:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In all likelihood, though, the best drummer of all time is someone we've never heard of. Studio guys whose names you'd never know float around LA, London, Nashville, New York, Tokyo...

I've worked with such drummers...they're a site to behold, they make boatloads of money, they can play any style and play it at a world-class level instantly and consistently, nobody knows their names, and they don't give a crap. I have no idea who the best of the best in that realm is.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wonder if you include Vinnie Colaiuta in that list. He's a session drummer who plays country, jazz, pop, rock. His discography is huge (http://www.vinniecolaiuta.com/discography.aspx).

I was shocked that he played drums for Megadeth's last album, and sounded like a metal drummer. (In contrast, Grohl's "metal" album (Probot), he sounds nothing like a metal drummer.)

Here's a Youtube video of him.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=1FDjflcDnCA

More videos:
http://www.drummerworld.com/drummers..._Colaiuta.html

PS, Moon is a laughable choice. He didn't even know how to use a hi-hat. Go to http://twtd.bluemountains.net.au/cream/moon.htm for a more objective view of Moon.
Old 10-11-2006, 03:25 PM

I already posted this today in the other drummer thread but aside from Moon, Baker, Mitchell and that list of Jazz drummers you have to consider Michael Shrieve of (early) Santana.

Here he is (awesome song and performance too)...