Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Entertainment Betting
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-27-2007, 11:18 PM

Default Re: ***Boy\'s Night Discussion thread 02.27.2007***

Based on DI so far, it looks like Chris Sligh scored big tonight, regaining one of the top spots.

And Brandon is getting punished for that stupid song choice. But at least he got to wish a happy birthday.
Old 02-27-2007, 11:32 PM

The best performances in this order tonight:

1. Sligh
2. Stacey
3. Richardson
4. Head
Old 02-27-2007, 11:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]

And Brandon is getting punished for that stupid song choice. But at least he got to wish a happy birthday.

[/ QUOTE ]

let's hope he actually gets another week to prove he's not an idiot when it comes to song choices. I'm not too confident looking at the dial idol scores. I just sold him off at 3. I figure I can buy him back at 2 next week if he actually pulls it out of the bag.
Old 02-27-2007, 11:44 PM

Brandon is from California, so I'm going to wait until the West Coast finish voting before I start jumping off his ship.
Old 02-27-2007, 11:55 PM

Better than last week but not great. I still think this is a girl's year.

Sligh continues to underwhelm me. Taylor did that song miles better last year. He just has an average, college-band voice IMO. Nothing special there.

Sundance was better but it was still not very good. Not sure what the judges were listening to.

Chris R. does not sing very well, but at least he brings some energy and charisma to the stage. Will be interesting to see how far the teen girl votes carry him.

I really like Blake but I'm wondering if he is too much of an acquired taste to win over middle America.

None of these guys, so far, is even close to Lakisha, Melinda, or Jordin IMO.
Old 02-28-2007, 12:02 AM

I agree on Sligh and Sundance.

Richardson should try a different style of song next week. Today was like a repeat of last week. I think he is pretty good and could widen his fan base.

Blake reminds me of that guy on Police Academy that did the sound effects with his mouth. It is really not enjoyable.
Old 02-28-2007, 12:07 AM

The thing about Chris Richardson and Blake is that they are the only ones doing anything remotely contemporary. I really liked Sundance, but who is going to buy an album full of Mustang Sally songs in 2007? Just to prove my point, look at the performace of Chris Daughtry's CD as compared to Taylor Hicks.

As an aside, has anyone else noticed that for the signers they want to get rid of, they bury their vocals in the mix than the ones they want to do well? I noticed it last season with Lisa and I'm noticing it this year too. There should't be any points where the music is louder than the singer but it's been happening.
Old 02-28-2007, 12:09 AM

I know its early, but as of now it looks like sundance is going to be this years pickler. He is going to have a ton of fan support and will be around awhile regardless of performance. I hope that unlike her, he will give us a little ability to make some money.
Old 02-28-2007, 01:39 AM

Some quick thoughts on each contestant tonight:
-Phil was pretty good, song choice was weird but I thought he pulled it off. However, I don't see him having much value and his dedication was moronic.
-Jared was good, not great, I agree with Simon that he doesn't bring much to the table.
-AJ sounded bad to me but the judges liked him. At least his song choice was unique.
-Sligh was vastly better than last week, he should be bumped up to one of the faves again.
-Nick was actually quite good but I think he's going home because I don't see him having a fan base. If it were a pure singing competition, he'd be sticking around another week or 2.
-Blake was cool, I thought his was more fun than...
-Richardson, who still sounds weird to me. However I am warming up to him a little but I really don't see him going deep.
-Rogers and Sanjaya were the two worst, Rogers was just so boring with his rendition and Sanjaya is not good.
-I disagree with a lot of you and thought Sundance sounded really good. At first he was just loud but then he started hitting notes and looked a lot more comfortable on stage. He actually deserves the votes this time. He still sweats too much, though, it's kind of offputting.
Old 02-28-2007, 02:39 AM

I took notes during the west coast viewing and think the boys were better this week. But the best boy is no longer 8th in the girls but would now be 5th from last week's girls performances.

From best to worst:

Phil - I thought his performance was great. His tone was very listenable.

Blake - I thought he was pretty good. His thing is a little gimicky though so he needs to do the beatbox/scat only every third or fourth week not each time.

Sundance - It was ok and a good song choice.

Nick - I hate Fever as a song since I had to do a highschool dance to it for drama class. But I think Nick pulled off the song pretty well.

Sligh - I thought Chris was solid but I think he could use another gear or some modulation in his performance.

Richardson - I'm not a big fan. I thought this was a similar performance to last week and he has an odd hitch in each note he sings that doesn't work for me. And I thought his voice was breaking a little on some of the notes where he couldn't hold the note.

Jared - Ordinary. Boring. But fine. I.e., he didn't do anything wrong, but the song is too canonical and the original version is so much better than his singing it.

Sanjaya - not very good. He really needs another gear, probably two. He doesn't know how to do anything but a very simple singing treatment. I wrote down in my notes that he sounds/looks like Michael Jackson (even without having read this thread) and I think next week he should try to do a Michael Jackson song. Billy Jean or Man in the Mirror or something.

Brandon - very disappointing. I thought he was out of key/sync with the backup singers on his song and that his performance was very boring.

AJ - Very blah. I wasn't liking his singing or his stage movement.

I'd say based on this week's singing AJ and Brandon should be voted off. But because of screen time it is probably Jared and AJ.