Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Heads Up Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-17-2007, 02:57 PM

Default Re: interest in a video? NLCASH

[ QUOTE ]
I didn't like your value push w/ the K7.

Awesome video, thanks for doing this.

[/ QUOTE ]

couple quick questions....

[ QUOTE ]
do you play a similar style at your limits, i.e. 5/10 and 10/20? just wondering if good solid poker (and minimal bluffing) is enough to beat those levels, or if you had to make any significant adjustments when moving up?

[/ QUOTE ]

These kinda go hand in hand so I will try and answer both of those here. The K7 is super thin, and without knowing more about the opponent it is hard to say how often we get called by worse, but I think it's prob enough to make it at least neutral or slightly +EV.

The other reason that we shove there, and I didn't really go into it in the video, ties in to having to make some adjustments as you play higher. If I ever want to bluff that river A card I need to be betting hands that are weaker than 2pr/set (really, hands that are weaker than an A). That means I need to shove occasionally hands like K7 or QJ, which are pretty close in value in this spot, on that river so that I do not become exploitable against observant opponents. Clearly, the opponent there and most at 1/2NL probably would not exploit such a 'leak' but it is just something that I kind of do without thinking too much about it at this point--in short, not necessary at that level or against that opponent, but prob necc in higher stakes games against observant opponents.
Old 07-17-2007, 03:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've watched most of it, I think it's solid and that a lot of players stray away from ABC poker at the lower limits and pay dearly for it.

That said, I'm not a fan of the AA hand on the KKx flop. I don't think SS players are calling enough with pocket pair (nor does that constitute a large part of the range), to make anything but checking OOP the best move.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ya, I am not that in tune with games at these levels, but generally speaking I think that not betting is just missing out on tons of value, especially on the river. I can see justification for checking the flop, but that is something that I just do not do all the time and I think it's still pretty easy in my games to get the money in good w/ AA on KKx boards.

Once you bet the flop the problem with checking the river is that hardly any worse hands will ever bet the river. They likely have a marginal hand that has showdown value, and when given the chance to do so, they often will check behind and see who has the best hand. I do not think that these players will randomly turn a made hand (mid PP or so) into a bluff on that board, as it is very likely I am trying to get to showdown myself and am c/c everything. There are also literally no draws on that flop, so checking to induce bluffs from missed draws is pointless.

The one valid reason that I can think of for checking the river is if you do not have confidence in your discipline and ability to execute a bet/fold line. You are definitely missing out on value if you do decide to check, but I do not think it is out of the question to check the river for this reason.
Old 07-17-2007, 03:42 PM

I was talking expressly about checking flop. I think it buys you 2 streets of value from underpairs, and it never ceases to amaze me what people bluff with.

Very nice video, we appreciate your time!
Old 07-17-2007, 08:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
make sure you download this codec

http://www.techsmith.com/download/codecs.asp

[/ QUOTE ]

fixes the no audio problem.
Old 07-18-2007, 06:37 AM

I liked the video, I pretty much agree with your reasoning throughout.

I even liked the b/f with AA. Thats a K or JJ/TT most of the time in my mind as well.
Old 07-19-2007, 12:32 AM

awesome video, thanks for posting.

How do you get the cards to appear like that?
Old 07-19-2007, 10:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
awesome video, thanks for posting.

How do you get the cards to appear like that?

[/ QUOTE ]

check the software forum for mods.
Old 07-19-2007, 11:16 AM

thanks
Old 07-19-2007, 01:14 PM

Thanks jsnipes28, really REALLY like it. This is something I'll definitely watch again and again so I don't miss anything.

As for sound problems:
On my machine (Windows XP) ...
* VLC player - no sound
* Windows Media Player (one that comes w/ WinXP, not classic) - everything fine
Old 07-20-2007, 03:12 PM

when i watched the video i cringed at the aa hand. (i cringe at many of my hands too when i review them)

checking the river there with AA is a must oop as hand was played. I really dont think you are giving up any value there, checking.

i didn't like the flop bet either, cause we really aren't losing value, and from what i recall, the guy you were playing was tighter than you. he my call with a smaller pp, great...he may not...he def. calls with a king, or raises, or puts a play on us (unlikely tho how he was playing).

i think optimal line that hand, check flop, if he bet, call, if he check, lead turn...if he bet flop, i check to him on riv again and let him keep lead if he wants...

thing i really didn't like is taht you bet flop, then checked turn, then when he checekd behind you bet riv again...now imo, his line is usually either a K, or a pp/air and i'd much rather let him try and bluff me out of the pot by checking it to him on the river, as opposed to putting out 30-40bb or w/e, just to fold to a shove.