Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-12-2007, 07:25 PM

Default Re: Stars account hacked

Wow I wouldn't hesitate to give this kid a beating.
Old 06-12-2007, 07:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Just run the program HijackThis on his computer. It will reveal programs running in the background. I can't remember if this shows rootkits, but you can go to downloads.com and get a program to search out rootkits. These will show what is on his computer. But if he is at all smart he has already cleaned his computer if he is guilty.
-Brendan

[/ QUOTE ]

I haven't been involved in computer security for quite some time, so I am very rusty. Blame online poker.

Excellent suggestion regarding HijackThis. It's an excellent first tool, and can tell us much of what is going on inside that computer. It will not reveal any rootkit info, and it might not notice if a keylogger is installed, but not running.

I would definitely recommend using it, and posting its scan results on a computer security message board.

There is a program called RootkitRevealer that may be of aid. As yet, I am not up to snuff on it's proper use, not on how to interpret it's results.

Also, Spybot has some detection capabilities, as well as some online anti-virus or anti-trojan scanners.

HJT or an online scan might not recognize any of the commercially available keyloggers that were purposely installed on that machine. A review of the computer's Add/remove Software lost might show a recognizable name for one of those.

Hardware keyloggers are a different matter. Detection can be as easy as seeing it plugged in, to requiring disassembly of the keyboard.

Some early reading:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keystroke_logging

Nothing like a complicated task, under extreme time constraints, in a potentially hostile environment, with thousands of dollars at stake to get the blood going.

This better not be for play chips. Just kidding.
Old 06-12-2007, 07:33 PM

This thread makes me sick..

That sucks so much, if I were you I would go and do what others said and try to get on to his computer / steal his computer and analyze everything.

Not sure if pressing charges or beating his ass is a better option.
Old 06-12-2007, 09:25 PM

Thanks for your help guys,
Mike
Old 06-13-2007, 09:15 PM

Hey Mjafish, I am a member on CR and I did a xfer with bucky835 (AIM-youngbuc723). I xfered first $400 and he never xfered to me, claiming he lost the money right after I xfered and said he would xfer to me in a few weeks when he gets paid. Its been about 3 months and ive got nothing. I just let it go (nothing I can do) but you def need to press charges against that punk!
Old 06-13-2007, 11:22 PM

Hello all.. I am a new user here.. thought of making a user some time ago, and decided to do it to post in this thread..

Well.. As I could read, the criminal acts took place from the friends computer, which makes the odds for this being some unknown hackers acts very low, since he would have to log into this account with the friends ip and then do the playing and xfering. To do that remotely, he would either have to be using some fully remote-control-program connected to your friends ip, so he would be able to control the poker-client, or the hacker would have to log on to the account on a pc that connected to the client-site through the friends computer (with a proxy-server installed on the friends pc).. If the hacker simply stole the password remote ly and logged on from another place, pokerstars wouldnt have info telling that the acts took place from the friends pc, since the accounts would be logging on from 2 different ips..

So by that we can say that the odds for this s##t was made by your friend or anyone else with psysical contact with his pc is like 99%.

To make 99,9% sure, you could scan his pc for open ports, that could have anything to do with this kind of remote control.

Hope this makes sense, and that I am correct with this info.. Either this is the friend or some very pro hacker, that is able to log on to pokerstars through the friends pc..
Old 06-13-2007, 11:48 PM

If his parents are good people they would probably help you get him some therapy and get him to start paying back the money he's stole from you and others. Tell his parents he has a gambling problem when he isn't there. Let them know he took money from you to fund his addiction but don't make it seem you just want the money. Tell them you want to see him get some help.

If the parents aren't good people I don't know, seems you're stuck. You could probably scare him but if he's broke there isn't much he can do immediately and he's probably too much of a degenerate to save. I know if I was you beating him down would seem like a stupid idea but also quite fun.
Old 06-14-2007, 11:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
But if he is at all smart he has already cleaned his computer if he is guilty.

[/ QUOTE ]
If he isn't guilty, then you could also find a rootkit on his PC.
Old 06-14-2007, 12:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Any chance the hand history files are still on his pc?

[/ QUOTE ]

Already thought about this. They probably are, but I doubt I will be allowed access to his pc.

[/ QUOTE ]

If he denies you access to his PC, there is absolutely no way it's not him. Any innocent person would be welcoming you back to clear their name.
Old 06-14-2007, 12:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Any chance the hand history files are still on his pc?

[/ QUOTE ]

Already thought about this. They probably are, but I doubt I will be allowed access to his pc.

[/ QUOTE ]

If he denies you access to his PC, there is absolutely no way it's not him. Any innocent person would be welcoming you back to clear their name.

[/ QUOTE ]

why don't u just ask him?
if he denies u access, it's another piece of damning evidence -- i'd be only to happy to help a friend out who got screwed providing he asked me nicely.