Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Student Life
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Is this a good deal?
It's a great deal - take the damn money! 8 72.73%
ITS A TRAP!!!! 3 27.27%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-06-2007, 10:34 AM

Default Re: Possibly Dumbest Question Ever... Yale Vs. USC

My friend had the decision to go free to University of Memphis or goto Vandy. He chose Memphis, it became not free when he still had to work full time and goto school and he's still not done with the degree. Memphis isn't even hard but it becomes hard when you work 40-60 hours a week. I know Memphis isn't USC, but you can go wrong picking the easier / cheaper school.
Old 07-08-2007, 01:12 AM

Cognito,
What was your major? I was in ILR and my professors were nothing short of fantastic.

I am surprised that you were so down on the academic nature of Cornell. The weather or women I would understand; but the academic environment is something that you could have never received at a SUNY school.

-Steve
Old 07-09-2007, 08:16 PM

If you don't have connections, you pretty much can't get a job at the 5-7 big banks in NYC without ridic grades and/or Ivy League. I am a Yale athlete with an above average GPA (3.4) and two years of finance experience and am concerned about not getting interviews/offers from my top three choices next fall (Goldman, JP Morgan, Morgan Stanley).

I could have gotten alot of scholarship money and been in the prestigious Plan II Liberal Arts program at the University of Texas, but it would have been a big mistake. Don't foget that a slightly better social life (Yale is not too shabby) could lead to worse grades, and to get the job you want out of USC you are going to have to be a 3.75+. To those raving about the merits of an Ivy League education, I have found some classes great and others very mediocre. But most important, your degree says Yale and all the alumni connections that come along with it.

Cliff Notes: Could have had more fun at University of Texas, choose Yale. Don't regret it one bit.
Old 07-09-2007, 09:03 PM

Here are profiles of the guys I know who work at big banks.
All went to Cornell.

Buddy Daren-near 4.0, double major CS/EE, Genius Math IQ, works as an analyst for GS.
Ex-Best Friend Duane-Decent GPA 3.5ish, Ass kisser, PAM (Policy Analysis and Management) works I believe in trading for GS. He got a ton of offers. Traded by himself in school, did crew for a year. He actually got the offer he wanted from GS and still went to another interview with Black-something? (forget the name) to get a plane ride paid for well knowing he already got his dream job. He actually got an offer from them as well.
My friends fiance (can't remember her name)-4.0 in OR (Operations Research I think) works for Morgan Stanley (I think) in IB.
Sorta Friend Sellman-Decent GPA, Economics major and major asskisser. Near top of class at JP Morgan.
Another friend of mine Joe-Worked for Morgan Stanley, got in as a intern to decent job. Mediocre GPA in OR.
Old 07-11-2007, 12:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Cognito,
What was your major? I was in ILR and my professors were nothing short of fantastic.

I am surprised that you were so down on the academic nature of Cornell. The weather or women I would understand; but the academic environment is something that you could have never received at a SUNY school.

-Steve

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm in AEM and some of the professors are absolutely terribly. A few are really good, but when it comes to hiring professors, research >>>>>>> teaching ability. Also, there's a lot of dumb people and I don't know if the education is really that much better. I know it's so much harder than other schools though so I guess it would make sense that we're learning more.

Although some of my friends in ILR do seem to like their professors.

Also, to the OP, the name recognition with Yale is going to make a big deal. But at the same time you'd probably enjoy yourself a ton more at USC as well as the $ issue.

I voted for USC
Old 07-11-2007, 10:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Cognito,

-Steve

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm in AEM and some of the professors are absolutely terribly. A few are really good, but when it comes to hiring professors, research >>>>>>> teaching ability. Also, there's a lot of dumb people and I don't know if the education is really that much better. I know it's so much harder than other schools though so I guess it would make sense that we're learning more.

Also, to the OP, the name recognition with Yale is going to make a big deal. But at the same time you'd probably enjoy yourself a ton more at USC as well as the $ issue.

I voted for USC

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm going back to my Cornell Hater on Major days-AEM-What do you expect. For those not from Cornell AEM back in the day was the "slacker" business major that a lot of athletes tried to get into. It's actually not that bad of a major after you graduate though.
Old 07-11-2007, 05:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Cognito,

-Steve

[/ QUOTE ]

I voted for USC

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm going back to my Cornell Hater on Major days-AEM-What do you expect. For those not from Cornell AEM back in the day was the "slacker" business major that a lot of athletes tried to get into. It's actually not that bad of a major after you graduate though.

[/ QUOTE ]

true, but now it's up there with engineering as the hardest major to get into at cornell.

and it's spinning off into its own college in a few years.

but its definitely a great major though, not much work
Old 07-12-2007, 12:55 AM

One aspect of this decision is how important a 'name' is in what you want to do in life.

I'm of the belief that smart people are smart no matter where they go, and that the education you receive as an undergrad is about the same at most colleges. Harvard and Yale are recruited bc they have the smartest kids coming in, not because the education is OMG 50 times better. You will be just as smart 4 years from now whether you go to USC or Yale.

If you are going to be working in a field like many of the business fields where having the name of the school on your diploma is the most important thing, def. choose Yale. There is $ value in just having the name on the diploma. If you are in a field where it's not going to matter very much where your undergrad was done, choose USC. Compaing life in Southern Cal to the god-forsaken NE States is not even remotely close. How much is the name value of the degree worth to your future career is a huge question here, because depending on your field of interest, the name value changes dramatically.
Old 07-12-2007, 02:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Harvard and Yale are recruited bc they have the smartest kids coming in, not because the education is OMG 50 times better.

[/ QUOTE ]

This doesn't change the fact that the education/intellectual atmosphere probably is "omg 50 times better" compared to other schools.

I know plenty of people that go to good state schools who don't like it. I don't know a single person who doesn't LOVE stanford. It's something you;d have to experience for yourself, but there's a reason why names like Harvard, Stanford, Princeton etc. command so much respect. Having an opportunity to go to undergrad at one of those schools is truly special. and an experience that shouldn't be passed up on.

Sure, from a practical standpoint the OP would probably be just fine at USC (although Yale is still obv the better choice). But going to college is about the experience--and unless your whole college experience is about getting drunk, goin to football games and banging hot chicks (I know that MANY ppl would say this what they want out of their college experience, but I dont think OP and most people who could get into Yale fall into this category) Yale clearly has the upper edge with the people/faculty you will encounter and the atmosphere they provide.