Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 02-11-2007, 02:03 PM

Default Re: DN watches Al Gore\'s movie and makes major life changes....

[ QUOTE ]
LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL
don't do anything harsh there Daniel.

I just finished watching the film, "An Inconvenient Truth" and it had a profound effect on me. I was already aware of the climate crisis that this world faces, but I guess I never realized that something can be done about it and we aren't doomed to our fate. Of course, if significant changes aren't made we're... well, all gonna die.

[/ QUOTE ]

ZOMFG the Manbearpig is coming! We're all gonna die!!! I'm super-serial.
Old 02-11-2007, 02:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
funny how science can take 120 years of recorded weather data and determine future negative effects on the Earth.

[/ QUOTE ]

funny? Maybe you don't understand the science. Ever think of that?

Vince Lepore

[/ QUOTE ]

Environmentalists generally use fairly weighted science.

Yes, humans can maybe have a profound effect on the environment, but if you look at the absolutely abysmal and disastrous record of previous 'intervention' into such affairs you should be really scared when a 'truth' surfaces about how to handle them.

Alot of the 'threats' are based on ancient beliefs that nature needs 'balance' (which is bull, nature is never in balance).

So yeah, maybe we need to do something but I think it would be a better idea if someone actually took the time to figure out what that something was instead of buying hackneyed 70s theories regarding the environment which is mostly what we see in the media these days.
Old 02-11-2007, 02:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would like to know how many people watched the movie and then went and did some research on what was presented rather than blindly accepting everything Al Gore says as fact.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP
Old 02-11-2007, 02:18 PM

Todays paper, the Toronto Star. My point is Daniel, being Canadian, has had more exposure to the ideas of Gobal Warming. The movie made by Gore just reminded him. Vegas is a horrible example of waste and surely it hit him in the face. In Toronto, there are recycling bins by every garbage can, it's been that way for many years. I am sure the movie just reminded him of how he used to live....

Environmentalists say new Grade 10 focus `nice, but not enough'

Feb 11, 2007 04:30 AM
Andrew Chung
and Tess Kalinowski
staff reporters

The provincial government plans to more heavily focus Ontario students' attention on climate change and its consequences for Canada and the world as it revises its science curriculum, the Star has learned.

The new curriculum, which is still in draft form, would change the name of a Grade 10 science unit on weather to "climate change." It would explore natural and human causes of climate change and the global and regional consequences, and examine courses of action that could address the problem.

The government is still consulting educators and environmentalists, but the draft – part of a routine curriculum review – could be approved by spring for implementation in fall 2008.

"I'm really happy the ministry is looking at this," said Education Minister Kathleen Wynne last week, noting she'd just visited a school in Cornwall, Ont. that installed solar panels to reduce energy costs by 68 per cent.

"I think it's really important for kids to get the factual understanding of what the issues are," said Wynne. "Kids are very anxious about these issues."

Climate change has become a top concern among Canadians. A major United Nations report – released Feb. 2 and reflecting the views of 2,500 scientists worldwide – concluded that evidence of climate change is "unequivocal" and human activity is "very likely" to blame.

Ontario, once a leader in the field, has for years been criticized for its lack of environmental education in schools.

It is the only province without an environmental science curriculum.

Now it appears the government may be ready to make a change.

"The fact that the Grade 10 unit is actually called `climate change' shows that the emphasis will be placed on that, as opposed to just weather with climate change as one of the things that comes up," said Dave Arthur, a retired science teacher and co-chair of Environmental Education Ontario, a group seeking to improve environmental learning in the province.

The need is highlighted by the fact Grade 10 science is not a required course. Students need two science credits to graduate, but have other choices.

Arthur, who's seen the draft curriculum, said while it's "nice" that climate change has been integrated into the science course, "it's not enough."

Not enough by a long shot, agrees Lakehead University Education Professor Tom Puk, who's been lobbying since 1998 for an integrated environmental curriculum that spans kindergarten through Grade 12.

You can't confine environmental studies to science, but "need to be doing it on a daily basis so you develop an ongoing sequence and context," said Puk, who met with education ministry officials in November.

Their biggest question, he said, was what could they take out of the curriculum in order to make room for more environmental science and ecology.

"My response is, `I don't care,' because if you don't have clean air, water and soil, you don't have anything else," said Puk, noting experts' calls for dramatic reductions in greenhouse gas emissions.

"This tinkering around, this dribbling is not going to do it. We need a full-on engaged action, not only in school but by citizens," he said.

"We've got three compulsory maths in secondary school and I've got friends who are mathematicians and they agree: to the end of Grade 8, that's all the math you need for most people for ... life. When's the last time you used polynomials?

"They could easily take one math out and have that period for ecological literacy," he said.

British Columbia has also reviewed its science curriculum and has also chosen Grade 10 as the level to press the issue.
Old 02-11-2007, 02:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In Toronto, there are recycling bins by every garbage can, it's been that way for many years.

[/ QUOTE ]

http://www.mises.org/freemarket_deta...er=articledate
Old 02-11-2007, 02:28 PM

And the hate rolls on.
Old 02-11-2007, 02:30 PM

ok, all I am saying is it is something Canadians have done everyday for years, whether it helps or not is not the point. It is some thing Daniel did growing up here and doesn't do in Vegas as there is nothing here in place. I haven't thrown glass in the garbage since I was a kid. In vegas, everything is put in the garbage, hardly anyone rides bikes and using a travel mug at starbucks is unheard of. I think it is not a "major life change" for him, he has just gone back to his roots. Good or bad.
Old 02-11-2007, 02:50 PM

Yeah Daniel is an idiot for caring about the enviroment, I bet he also gives monies to charities and stupid crap like that...
Old 02-11-2007, 02:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What is DN's status in the US? Is he a Canadian citizen who gets 6mo vacation visas and goes back for a week every 6mo and returns on a new 6mo visa? Does he have a greencard? You'd have a hard time telling from most of his political writing that he isn't a voting US citizen--he isn't, is he?

[/ QUOTE ]He and Gavin Smith (and others I am sure) get an entertainment visa. Gavin is sponsored by the WPT and DN probably is too (or the WSOP or something)
Old 02-11-2007, 03:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
In Toronto, there are recycling bins by every garbage can, it's been that way for many years.

[/ QUOTE ]

http://www.mises.org/freemarket_deta...er=articledate

[/ QUOTE ]

That article is over 10 years old, things have changed.
Closed Thread