Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-12-2007, 03:58 PM

Default Re: Who is the worst coach ever?

Whoops. Wrote down the wrong first name. Twice. My bad.
Old 10-12-2007, 04:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
At the risk of bringing up some painful memories, here you go:

"Pepe Pearson runs up the middle for no gain. Michigan takes over on downs!!!"

With any other coach we would have at least one, if not two or three national championships in the 90's.

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]
Old 10-12-2007, 04:16 PM

Florida was nothing special before Spurrier got there, he built them into a top 10 national powerhouse.

South Carolina was a joke before Spurrier got there, they are now a very dangerous, respectable team.

Spurrier is clearly one of the greatest college coaches of the last 20 years, easily top 5.

Anyone who thinks otherwise knows nothing about college football.

And I HATE Spurrier.
Old 10-12-2007, 04:23 PM

I would think Ray Handley might rank somewhere in your LALA5 standings.
Old 10-12-2007, 04:33 PM

I love OSU fans.

You go like 8-2 every year, lose one gamem most years against a team that's top 10, and he's the worst coach ever.
Old 10-12-2007, 04:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
At the risk of bringing up some painful memories, here you go:

"Pepe Pearson runs up the middle for no gain. Michigan takes over on downs!!!"

With any other coach we would have at least one, if not two or three national championships in the 90's.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree. I [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Cooper.

More seriously, you basically had a 4-year monster stretch (95-98) where you had 4 contenders. The 97 team was the weakest and ran into 3 better ones, kind of hard to blame Coop. 98 was bad as they were clearly the best team that year IMO but blew it against State. Maybe they should have gone unbeaten in 95 but given that Nebraska team (who I'm aware they wouldn't have played), they weren't winning anything regardless. Probably did blow it in 96 too though.

In fairness, he did assemble those teams, which is why I find it hard to ever include college coaches unless they ran a great program into the ground. He did an excellent job recruiting the talent, just couldn't put it all together all season.
Old 10-12-2007, 05:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Umm there is no question its Marty Mornhinweg, for those of you who dont remember i'll refresh your memories:

about 5 years ago he was detroit lions head coach and was in an overtime game against the bears. Reasons why he is the dumbest [censored] ever ->
1. He won the toss and elected to kick
2. His defense got a 3 and out, however on 3rd down there was holding on the bears. Instead of taking the punt, Marty decided to take the penalty. The bears then converted the 3rd and 20 and drove on to win the game.

I don't see anything that can top this

[/ QUOTE ]

Just to nit pick about point 1. He decided to defend a goal. The other team decided to receive. This wasn’t 'the only time this had been done. I remember an overtime game between the pats and bills where the bills won the toss and picked sides (and the pats would have picked sides if they had won the toss. It was windy.)

Electing to kick would probably, by itself, by a firable offence, but choosing to go with the wind can be a good idea in some cases (not necessarily this one).
Old 10-12-2007, 05:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Umm there is no question its Marty Mornhinweg, for those of you who dont remember i'll refresh your memories:

about 5 years ago he was detroit lions head coach and was in an overtime game against the bears. Reasons why he is the dumbest [censored] ever ->
1. He won the toss and elected to kick
2. His defense got a 3 and out, however on 3rd down there was holding on the bears. Instead of taking the punt, Marty decided to take the penalty. The bears then converted the 3rd and 20 and drove on to win the game.

I don't see anything that can top this

[/ QUOTE ]

I mentioned this in another thread, but I'll reiterate it here.

October 16, 1994

Eagles at Cowboys

Rich Kotite's Eagles started the season 4-1 in 1994 and were at a rainy Texas Stadium.

The Eagles cut the lead in the 4th to 24-13, and Kotite decides to go for 2. Why? Because the rain had smudged the 2-point conversion chart to where he couldn't read it.

2-point conversion fails, they lose, end up 7-9 that year and missing the playoffs, then gets hired by the Jets the next year and leads them to a 4-28 record over two seasons.

I don't know if it tops Marty Mornhinweg's overtime brain meltdown, but it's up there.

[/ QUOTE ]

Going for two in this case is correct for the same reason it is correct when down by 8.
Old 10-12-2007, 05:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would think Ray Handley might rank somewhere in your LALA5 standings.

[/ QUOTE ]

Being a Giants fan, he was the first person to come to mind when I opened the thread. Can't believe I forgot to include Ray Handley, especially seeing as the 1990 Giants were the sports team of my youth (I was 10), so Ray Handley was the first coach I ever learned to hate. Anyway:

.438 -- .625 -- -.187 -- 32g -- 5.98

Second worst Win% Differential, but he seems like a hard guy to get a handle on, since he had by far the highest goal to meet by these standards (would've had to average 10 full wins per season just to keep pace with the coaches around him). He had an impossible act to follow (Parcells was 35-13 in the three years before Handley took over), and Reeves was two games over .500 in the three seasons following Ray.

I don't remember enough about the Giants' roster from those years to know if they suddenly got a lot worse talent-wise. He did have Jeff Hostettler at QB instead of Phil Simms (though, of course, that was entirely his fault). A quick glance shows that Lawrence Taylor was 32 in 1991. Carl Banks turned 31 (before leaving the team in '92), Everson Walls turned 32 (he also left the next year), Bart Oates was 33, and Leonard Marshall turned 30. So that's a lot of key contributors (especially on defense) who hit their decline phases at roughly the same time. I doubt Handley helped the situation any, but I'm sure that this had something to do with the Giants Defense going from 1st, to 12th, to 26th from '90 to '92 in points allowed. Of course, they got all the way back to 1st overall in '93 when Reeves came on board, so I don't know.

Freakin' Handley.
Old 10-12-2007, 11:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Freakin' Handley.

[/ QUOTE ]

Handley was the object of one of my favorite spontaneous stadium chants ever. The "Ray Must Go" chant had become standard at the Meadowlands throughout most of the 92 season (they lost their home games to the Cowboys, Redskins, and Eagles), and the media had a ball covering it, and everyone pretty much knew he was gone at the end of the season.

The last game of the year was at the Vet, and the Giants lost in typical lackluster fashion. The Eagles fans, having secured the game and the season sweep by the 4th quarter, starting chanting "Ray Must Stay, Ray Must Stay." It was pretty funny at the time.

But yeah, tough luck that he was sandwiched between two HOF'ers. The big thing was Hostetler over Simms. And the defense going from 26th to 1st after Reeves took over is pretty damaging. But I agree, tough to evaluate accurately.