Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > High Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-23-2007, 01:01 AM

Default Re: Hoss TBF - part of Think Tank?

I forgot to add that "Pokkermon always seemed like a glorified maniac to me" is an understatement for a guy who not only has been dominating 100/200, but has been playing very solid at 2-4;
We will probably see the results for people who will challenge The Pokkermon in the near future; mark my words and my posts above in contrast to other posters like Bluffman and Mig...

I am quite shocked to read these posts about one of the most respected online HS players ever.
Old 04-23-2007, 01:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
These game theory panics surface every year or so.

[/ QUOTE ]

Any player who "wins" money must be able to theoretically "lose" money, that's just how game theory works.
Old 04-23-2007, 01:38 AM

im not gonna give my opinions on these guys but i think a lot of people dont understand how possible it is that they are just running good
Old 04-23-2007, 04:58 AM

im 80% sure its TLK playing on pokkermon's acct when hes playing unassigned and jumper.

also, bigglesworth and unassigned whipped pokkermon in their last meeting.
Old 04-23-2007, 12:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
im 80% sure its TLK playing on pokkermon's acct when hes playing unassigned and jumper.

[/ QUOTE ]

so these guys are brothers or something? TLK and pokermon?
Old 04-23-2007, 12:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What HU sessions were you watching? Your information seems seriously deluded...
Pokkermon gained up to 15k vs bigglesworth at the end and unassigned has not won against The Pokkermon (if only marginally on one or perhaps few occasions)

Please explain how he got whipped (your dream scenario?)
Old 04-23-2007, 12:48 PM

A few points:

The idea of limit holdem being solved anytime in the foreseeable future is at best fanciful or more accurately, just plain goofy. The game is too big, computers are too small, etc. Although we are in the queue for a time slot with the super-duper military computers, given the current state of Iraq we remain only mildly optimistic about their value. Back to the hamster wheels.

Jerrod and Bill taught me nearly everything I know (and ALL the important stuff) about poker. They didn't teach me to "do X with 9 high flush draws on a J high board", they taught me how to think about the game and build my own strategy. While their success in specifically high limit holdem games has been limited (remember, these guys play all the games well), they have other things going on and playing poker is just part of how they make their livings . . . plus Jerrod is, like, absurdly unlucky.

I think most players build a strategy piecemeal and end up with a patchwork of what they perceive works sewn on top of what they percieve doesn't work. This is another discussion, but I'd make a strong case this is an evolutionary process and as many of us try to hone our game, despite our best efforts the changes we make after a certain level aren't much better than random. Plays that seem right for one reason could well turn out to be wrong for another reason. But some of these choices do pan out and players are left with plays that work--most of the time. I see many plays in the high limits that I think are correct in the right circumstances, but are frequently utilized in the wrong circumstances, even amongst the people I consider to be the best players.

I like to think of Bill and Jerrod's methods as more a tapestry than a patchwork, carefully planned and balanced, interlaced with a rich, congruent set of theories. If my strategy is a little stronger than theirs right now, it's only because I've spent the time to do the legwork, shape my distributions across various situations, and had the foresight and skill to mold myself into a luckbox :-) A holdem strategy is a delicate balance; the beauty of Bill and Jerrod's tools is their ability to help you keep it balanced. They give you a method to hone your game, evaluate the improvements you hope to make and do much better than random when you implement them. As far as this super-secretive think tank talk, well, it's not so secret. Most all of the relevant stuff they’ve done and all the theory I use is in their book.

Matt
Old 04-23-2007, 01:59 PM

Great post, Matt. Thanks for weighing in.
Old 04-23-2007, 02:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
These game theory panics surface every year or so.

[/ QUOTE ]

Any player who "wins" money must be able to theoretically "lose" money, that's just how game theory works.

[/ QUOTE ]

really?
Old 04-23-2007, 02:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
from what I have seen he has been playing more 200/400 and I sincerely doubt that TLK is playing at that level, so I agree in that it is quite fuzzy in terms of who is playing 5-1 accordingly

[/ QUOTE ]

I played TLK (who was using pokker's account) 100/200 last week. But he was clearly rusty after having taken months off. After watching some of the action from the rail over the last few days, my guess -- and it's only a guess -- is that it has in fact been pokkermon playing 500/1k over the last week or so.