Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-11-2007, 08:46 PM

Default Re: Time Travel Game: how would you make money?

[ QUOTE ]
Step 1. Legally change my name to "Nostradamus."

Step 2. Predict ...the election of Bill Clinton.

[/ QUOTE ]

Really going out on a limb there for Sep 1992.

Bush I approval rating, late July 1992: 29%
Old 09-11-2007, 08:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Let's outnit eachother. It's August. And the popular vote ended up 43/37/19. Are you saying that Clinton was a lock at that point?

Or are you just being a snarky douchebag? Because really, I don't see your point.
Old 09-11-2007, 09:16 PM

I think instead of pitching movie ideas it would be much easier to latch onto bands that became famous. I wouldn't need to remember exactly what bands made it that year, you could just dig through your mind naming bands and then do some research if they're already famous, if not sign them.
Old 09-11-2007, 09:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Let's outnit eachother. It's August. And the popular vote ended up 43/37/19. Are you saying that Clinton was a lock at that point?

Or are you just being a snarky douchebag? Because really, I don't see your point.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm just saying you don't need to change your name to Nostradamus for that pick..
Old 09-11-2007, 09:50 PM

I am, against my better judgment, going to engage in a debate with someone who posts in the politics forum defending a post I don't care very much about. Just because you seem - in this thread, at any rate - contrary and unpleasant.

Only 5 elections in the 20th century had smaller margins of victory in the popular vote : '16, '48, '60, '68, and '76.

Most importantly, though, it doesn't freaking matter, because I'm pretty sure that someone who predicts Hurricane Andrew and Ruby Ridge isn't going to be dismissed as a pretender because he picked Bill Clinton to win. What it will do, though, is get him even more publicity, which is good if you plan on marketing yourself as the next Nostradamus.

I'll let other elaborate.
Old 09-12-2007, 07:02 PM

Can't read 8 pages. Did anyone try the lottery?
Old 09-12-2007, 10:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Do you remember what happened in week five of the NFL that well to make a few bets? Maybe you remember how your favorite team did...put it all on that and do the same the next week - assuming you remember who won, of course...

[/ QUOTE ]You may not know what happened in week 5. But surely you remember who won the Super Bowl that year. Plus, there's always big boxing matches. (e.g., make the date 1990 instead of 1992, then you put all of it on Buster Douglas.)

Plus the whole premise of not studying is odd. If you're smart enough to build a time machine, aren't you smart enough to print a few pages from the Internet before you jump in the time machine?

How about this: rob a bank on the day you leave, then jump into the time machine back to the present. They'll never catch you because you don't exist in their reality. (Or would a 15 year younger version of you be arrested?)

[/ QUOTE ]

No one said you built a time machine, I said you were whisked into the past with no warning.
Old 09-12-2007, 11:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Can't read 8 pages. Did anyone try the lottery?

[/ QUOTE ]

you remember what Lotto numbers hit 15 years ago?
Old 09-13-2007, 12:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
To everyone betting on sports: Betting individual games is a dumb way to go about this. It would be far more profitable to look at whatever long shot prop-bets the books have and bet on those, like picking the entire playoff bracket at the beginning of a season, or betting on a specific player breaking a long-standing single season record, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

These bets are more profitable, but they tie up your money for a long period of time. You're better off doubling your money quickly betting on individual games so you have enough money to live on as well as building up a roll that will let you bet bigger.

[/ QUOTE ]

The problem is, how many individual games from 15 years ago can you remember? Especially with a point spread. With the long shot prop-bets, you can probably find a few 100:1+ bets to make the million. With these bets, I think people would be more likely to remember things accurately. How many games during the year will someone be absolutely positive that Bills covered the 6.5 point spread or whatever?
Old 09-13-2007, 01:44 AM

The more I think about it, the easier the Seinfeld script thing seems. I write treatments for very specific Seinfeld episodes that I remember from the fall of 1992 (I have that knowledge in my head right now) and send them to a studio or two as just random pilots for generic shows, or possibly even send them directly to NBC for Seinfeld knowing full well that they don't accept unsolicited scripts. I also "unofficially" (or even officially) copyright the scripts by mailing them to myself.

The shows come out and Larry Charles and Larry David have stolen my ideas those sons of bitches. Should be able to settle quickly for a decent amount, enough to parlay with bets on sports games I'm sure of.