Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-15-2007, 07:09 PM

Default Re: Best Guitar Players of All Time

[ QUOTE ]
what number is eric johnson on that list?

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm not qualfied to say where he ranks in technical ability, but Cliffs of Dover is my favorite solo ever.
Old 06-15-2007, 07:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Jimmy Page, saw someone mention that he wasn't a good "technical player" - sorry, this is just wrong. He was a studio musician, recording for artists who couldn't play what they wanted to because he was such a guitar virtuoso

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah saying that page wasnt that good technically is totally insane. Just watch videos of him in concert, he was an amazing performer and did some really creative stuff. he was the center of the biggest band in the world for 10 years, he engineered a new sound that the generation of guitarist copied, I feel he is a really complete player. Yes, today there are a fairly large number of players who are much better technically, but 99% of those guys cant touch his song writing and recording accomplishments.
Old 06-15-2007, 07:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Since the question is best guitar players of all time, and not something like top 3 guitar players of all time, Jerry Garcia certainly deserves a place somewhere.

[/ QUOTE ]

His style was too melodic to make him currently fashionable, but I wouldn't have a problem seeing Garcia listed in the top 3.

[/ QUOTE ]

Technically his chops are way way off this list, but if you look at overall ability part of that is improvising and Garcia is probably #1 at improvising melodies.
Old 06-15-2007, 07:47 PM

Just out of curiosity, how is someone like Edge regarded by the true aficionados?
Old 06-15-2007, 11:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I have been on and off playing guitar for 15 years and have to say I was more influenced by some of the modern guitar Gods.

Three that come to mind are:

Randy Rhoads - Classically trained and a major influence on rock n' roll today.
Joe Satriani - Talented lyricist and guitar wizard suffered with TMJ in his greatest years. He also managed to work with Ibanez (I think) to make the first mirrored paint guitar.
Steve Vai- So good he added another string.

P.S. Another one came to mind: Yngwie J. Malmsteen A PURE shredder.

fyc

[/ QUOTE ]

None of these guys are even close to legendary, even factoring in Rhoads' post-death bump. Playing 1000 notes a second does not a great guitarist make.

[/ QUOTE ]

Randy is legendary....trained by andres segovia... Randy was way more than 1000 note a second kind of guitarist. The main thing here is his lack of time on earth. (dead at 25) I think if he were still around today, his meshing of classic and metal guitar would be so unique that he would be listed very high on anyones list. He was more than speed.

Also a honorable mention for Eric Johnson.
Old 06-15-2007, 11:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Randy is legendary....trained by andres segovia... Randy was way more than 1000 note a second kind of guitarist.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was wondering if anyone would mention Segovia. Unless this list is limited to Rock/Blues guitarists, he has to be considered for however short a list you care to make.
Old 06-15-2007, 11:35 PM

I am pretty sure answering with anyone other than Slash makes you gay.
Old 06-15-2007, 11:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
IS there anyone that is currently playing that could be in the top 5?

I remember someone posting a video of a guy playing that was supposed to be the best ever. Some long haired rock guy.

[/ QUOTE ]

though they don't belong in a top ten at this point, both derek trucks and trey anastasio are both excellent guitarists.

I don't know how much John McLaughlin plays anymore, but he belongs in any top five. This is a man that has complete mastery of his instrument and can do whatever he wants with it at his will. On top of that, his musical ability in making actual music is right at the top. He always associated more with the jazz scene, but he can play either jazz or rock with fluditity and just leaves you shaking your head in disbelief at how excellent he is. All of his mahavishnu orchestra stuff is just top notch, and there is a recent release(as in the past 7 years) called the lost trident sessions which IMO may actually be some of the mahavishnu orchestra's best stuff
Old 06-15-2007, 11:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Buckethead, quite possibly the most talented guitar player I've ever heard.

Edit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4q3p_o8A6g

Kind of a weird intro, but it gets really good ~1:50

[/ QUOTE ]

I had him in mind when I saw the thread. Plus he dances very well too, which is just weird when he busts those moves out. I wonder if he made it into the list at all.

Plus, I wonder about Prince, Django Reindhardt and Kevin Eubanks. I am about to google the list after I post this.
Old 06-16-2007, 12:02 AM

Always liked Ry Cooder