Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-05-2007, 11:31 AM

Default Re: Adrian Peterson is not Overrated, statistical comparison CTaylor -

[ QUOTE ]
Anyone who says that he is overrated has probably never watched him play.

His acceleration in hitting the holes is simply unsurpassed by anyone in the league.

Yes, he sometimes makes mistakes, but give him a break, he is a rookie and has plenty of time to learn.

[/ QUOTE ]
I have watched every Vikings game this year. AP is very good, he isn't the best RB in the NFL, which is what people are arguing. He is overrated.
Old 11-05-2007, 11:42 AM

Can someone clear something up for me (Jack come back to your computer)--I keep hearing "can we see what his stats look like w/o those big runs etc."

This doesn't make sense to me, doesn't he still have to make those long runs? All these long runs I have seen are AP shooting the hole much faster than Taylor does, running over someone, shaking 1-2 guys and then flat-out outrunning an entire secondary...how can you just disregard that? To me that isn't variance, if it were, Chester Taylor would have had as many big runs as AP back when they were getting equal carries.

It just seems wrong to dismiss incredible runs where he showcases talent that really nobody else in the NFL has (this isn't to say he is the best back in the NFL right now--but I don't think anyone has his combination of power/speed/quickness) so that we can try to bend the numbers in a way we want.
Old 11-05-2007, 11:51 AM

Is there someone who is actually better at running the ball though?

He sometimes struggles in pass blocking and also doesn't appear to be the best receiver, but he looks like the best rusher in the league to me.
Old 11-05-2007, 11:56 AM

tdarko,
He is running good irt to big plays. His pace isn't sustainable, he isn't going to run for 2000 yards. His style of running means he regularly needs to get runs like that because he will gets a decent amount of 2 yard losses and 2 and 12 or 3 and 12 are bad places all offenses and terrible places for the Vikings offense. He averaged 5ypc at Oklahoma I doubt he is going to average more in the NFL.
Old 11-05-2007, 12:09 PM

Pudge,

Yeah, I agree with that too Pudge. But I think that most, well hopefully most would realize that that pace isn't sustainable. It is like Kobe last year during that sick week he had, of course he couldn't keep it up but it doesn't change that he did it and had the ability to take over a game like nobody else.

I think we also need to realize that he is just a rookie. This explosiveness is exactly why he isn't overrated to me. Rookies are going to have some short gains--they are learning how to hit the holes and how to weight for the hole to develop b/c in the NFL sometimes the hole takes much longer to develop than in college. He is only going to get better imo, and of course he isn't going to have these games where he goes off routinely but the fact that you see it is a sure sign of what is there b/c nobody else is doing that.
Old 11-05-2007, 12:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I have watched every Vikings game this year. AP is very good, he isn't the best RB in the NFL, which is what people are arguing. He is overrated.

[/ QUOTE ]

Who is better?

LT, just because what he did last year?

Peterson solidified himself as the best back in football right now..
Old 11-05-2007, 12:16 PM

Just because he busts a lot of long runs doesn't mean he has a boom or bust running style...
Old 11-05-2007, 12:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
He is running good irt to big plays. His pace isn't sustainable, he isn't going to run for 2000 yards.

[/ QUOTE ]

you play tournaments mainly don't you?

good variance can last a long time, no RB has ever had a 2k rushing yards EV so all of those seasons are just running hot

he has a pretty tough lineup of defenses(but could have monster games vs Oak, SF and Denver)
Old 11-05-2007, 12:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Watching him in college left me with a large man crush on Reggie Bush.

I think Peterson is a MUCH better back for the pro game. However, he needs to run with more care for his body, or he's going to miss a fuckload of games.

[/ QUOTE ]

Injuries happen to all RBs. Avoiding the hits is obviously a useful skill but eventually injuries will happen to everybody. You can only hope its not too serious such as an ACL.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, everybody gets hurt. Some people get hurt a lot more than others because they insist on jumping around and throwing themselves into people without any regard for their own goodwill.

[/ QUOTE ]

Alot of times they get injured trying to avoid the injury rather than just running hard.

b

[/ QUOTE ]

dunno if anyone called this out, but this is just dumb and untrue in regards to nfl players.
Old 11-05-2007, 12:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
He is running good irt to big plays. His pace isn't sustainable, he isn't going to run for 2000 yards.

[/ QUOTE ]

you play tournaments mainly don't you?

good variance can last a long time, no RB has ever had a 2k rushing yards EV so all of those seasons are just running hot

he has a pretty tough lineup of defenses(but could have monster games vs Oak, SF and Denver)

[/ QUOTE ]

ZOMG those OAK and DEN games are going to be amazing. Denver is just laughable at stopping the run and OAK isnt much better.