Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-09-2007, 06:04 PM

Default Re: Knife VS Bat, who wins?

[ QUOTE ]
I think you overestimate skill level. I also think you underestimate how much the initial bat-blow would affect knife-wielding skills. My suspicion is that Joe Random on the street would be more inclined to try to stab with the knife instead of slash/slice.

Finally, I think what clothing is being worn would make quite a bit of difference in the effectiveness of the knife.

[/ QUOTE ]

A powerful and accurate bat strike against a stationary target is going to do enormous damage, but the knife person only has to cross the bat's most effective range, not fight from it. The bat person can essentially get to grappling range and stab up under the ribs, around to the neck, etc.

Also I agree about clothing in the sense that long denim sleeves provide a defense against knife slices that a cotton tee-shirt doesn't, but unless we're talking about armor it doesn't change the fact that a knife is simply a more effective way of killing someone

[ QUOTE ]
. A bat strike is not conceptually different than a leg strike, just quicker and stronger.

[/ QUOTE ]

this cant be true, you think you'd be able to knock a 90mile per hour fastball out of the ballpark with a legkick?

[ QUOTE ]
A bat strike is not conceptually different than a leg strike, just quicker and stronger.

[/ QUOTE ]

And a knife strike is no different than a punch except pointier.
Old 07-09-2007, 06:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
. A bat strike is not conceptually different than a leg strike, just quicker and stronger.

[/ QUOTE ]

this cant be true, you think you'd be able to knock a 90mile per hour fastball out of the ballpark with a legkick?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, but in terms of how it approaches your body as a striking force it comes at you the same way a kick does, just from a different angle, quicker and with somewhat more force depending on the wielder.

edit: my point is that there are methods for deflecting that type of strike. If you told me to stand still and deflect 3 or 4 bat swings I'd be [censored] up, but if I had to deal with at most 1 while I got into range to stab with a knife, that's not really as difficult as you'd think.
Old 07-09-2007, 06:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
A bat strike is not conceptually different than a leg strike, just quicker and stronger.

[/ QUOTE ]

And a knife strike is no different than a punch except pointier.

[/ QUOTE ]

Have you ever fought in any sort of martial arts way / regularly street fought? It is so much easier to land a punch solidly than a kick, and if your punch also will be fatal/near fatal if it hits the face/neck/chest/stomach I don't see how this counter-argument supports your claim of bat superiority at all.
Old 07-09-2007, 06:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No, but in terms of how it approaches your body as a striking force it comes at you the same way a kick does, just from a different angle, quicker and with somewhat more force depending on the wielder.

edit: my point is that there are methods for deflecting that type of strike. If you told me to stand still and deflect 3 or 4 bat swings I'd be [censored] up, but if I had to deal with at most 1 while I got into range to stab with a knife, that's not really as difficult as you'd think.

[/ QUOTE ]

"somewhat more force" ???

I don't think you understand the physics of the bat swing very well. You can swing a bat with exponentially more force than you can swing your own fist.
Old 07-09-2007, 06:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i think you seriously udnerestimate the amount of force which full baseball swing generates
Old 07-09-2007, 06:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"somewhat more force" ???

I don't think you understand the physics of the bat swing very well. You can swing a bat with exponentially more force than you can swing your own fist.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well for starters I said somewhat more force than a kick. Obviously A-rod's bat swing is going to be substantially different than mine in terms of how much stronger it is than our respective kicks. But that doesn't change anything else in my argument, and it doesn't change the fact that a knife is a far easier and more efficient weapon to kill someone with.

Remember equal skill, equal opponents. Despite how hard you think you swing a bat, you're not A-rod, etc. 1 bat strike vs as many knife strikes as I can get in after that. You'd seriously take this?
Old 07-09-2007, 06:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i think you seriously udnerestimate the amount of force which full baseball swing generates

[/ QUOTE ]

but how much force is at the tip of the bat vs at the mid point of the bat?
Old 07-09-2007, 06:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Again it doesn't matter. A full baseball swing is predictable and can be absorbed/deflected avoided for starters. #1, you aren't going to get a full baseball swing in; it's not like the knife person is going to stand at your optimal fighting range and take bat blows. It's incredibly easy to close range in any sort of combat and once you do that, the bat is essentially useless while the knife is still fatal.