Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-03-2007, 11:30 AM

Default Re: Bush to commute Libby sentence

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'm actually finding it hilarious how all the left wingers are such zealots for law and order. It would be interesting to note how they felt about illegals doing jail time in the United States.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's easy. As a general matter, illegals should absolutely do all the jail time that the law prescribes for the crimes they commit. So you you or I, or anyone else. You apparently believe that different rules apply to white republicans. Quelle suprise!

[/ QUOTE ]

As the law is currently written, entering the country illegally is a misdemeanor offense and is subject to possible deportation, but probably wouldn't justify jail time unless the crime is "repeated", in which case it's a punishable felony.

So I don't think "illegals" should be subject to jail time, because the punishment seems far too excessive for the scale of the infraction. Should we incarcerate trespassers, graffiti artists, noise violators, and public drunks too?

This is obviously far outside the scope of Libby, but there's no hypocrisy in not wanting to see people who are guilty of misdemeanor infractions (like illegal immigrants) get thrown in jail while wanting to see just punishment given to those engaged in obstruction of justice and other serious malfeasance. I'm not really even staking a claim about what kind of punishment Libby deserves here, but to compare his crime to that of those who illegally enter the country is specious at best.
Old 07-03-2007, 11:50 AM

What is with half of the posters in this thread? I feel like ive walked into Free Republic with all of the "OMG Clinton & Berger!!!!", "Fitzfong lolzzzzz" & "Libssssss believe murders are innnocent!!!"
Old 07-03-2007, 12:12 PM

Assume you are in front of the grand jury and asked how much money is in your pockets right now?

You reply $59.63 and really you have $57.27. Are you lying to the grand jury or are you merely incorrect but answering the question to the best of your knowledge?

If people start getting railroaded on simple mistakes you will have no one wanting to say anything unless they are 100 percent sure and have a dozen witnesses backing up those statements.

From what I understand, there is a possibility that libby may just be mistaken on certain facts....compare to SB...he did not mistakenly stuff documents in his socks and underwear, he knowingly did it with intent to illegally remove from the archives.
Old 07-03-2007, 12:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Assume you are in front of the grand jury and asked how much money is in your pockets right now?

You reply $59.63 and really you have $57.27. Are you lying to the grand jury or are you merely incorrect but answering the question to the best of your knowledge?

If people start getting railroaded on simple mistakes you will have no one wanting to say anything unless they are 100 percent sure and have a dozen witnesses backing up those statements.

From what I understand, there is a possibility that libby may just be mistaken on certain facts....compare to SB...he did not mistakenly stuff documents in his socks and underwear, he knowingly did it with intent to illegally remove from the archives.

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay now assume that instead of how much change is in your pocket, they're investigating high crimes committed by you and your buddies. And instead of "answering to the best of you knowledge", you impede the investigation by lying to them. And... go...
Old 07-03-2007, 12:52 PM

This whole thing stinks of a deal wherein Bush pardons Libby to keep him from talking.
Old 07-03-2007, 12:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This whole thing stinks of a deal wherein Bush pardons Libby to keep him from talking.

[/ QUOTE ]
OMG REALLY?!?!
Old 07-03-2007, 01:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[YES! Great post. Bush's position is NOT that Libby did not commit a crime (notwithstanding all of the brilliant legal minds here who are arguing otherwise), it is that, in his opinion, the sentence was too harsh.

[/ QUOTE ]

And your brilliant mind can read others'....oops, it can't. You know what GWB said and did, you don't know what GWB thinks.

A pardon in this situation would be very difficult politically, whether GWB believes there was a crime or not.

On the other hand we KNOW that SB stole and destroyed classfified documents AND lied to Federal grand jury and got a $10,000 fine and 3 year suspension of his security clearance (as if anyone would spend the political capital to put him in a national security position again).

To NOT commute Libby's sentence would have been unconscionable

[/ QUOTE ]

This man asked me to tell you that your argument is illogical.

[/ QUOTE ]

False. Spock put copernicus on ignore six months ago.
Old 07-03-2007, 02:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay now assume that instead of how much change is in your pocket, they're investigating high crimes committed by you and your buddies. And instead of "answering to the best of you knowledge", you impede the investigation by lying to them. And... go...

[/ QUOTE ]

For the last time.... he was not the leak... and they knew who did leak. What high crimes do you refer to?

there is no way people would ever have differing recollections on events, sequences of events, topics in conversation A vs conversation B. So he must be lying. (I bet you thought Clinton NEVER lied about anything)or does that depend on what the definition of the word is is.

I know you are a dem partisan....but I geta real kick out of Hillary's comments on the matter. After all the pardons for sale by her hubby, she has the guts to come out and criticize this. What a big f ing joke. She has no shame.

Not to mention all she ever said was "I do not recall" when she was questioned. I find it hard to believe that the woman touted as the smartest woman in the world has such a horrible memory.

I bet you never had a harsh word for her or bill though.
Old 07-03-2007, 03:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
For the last time.... he was not the leak...

[/ QUOTE ]

Where in that post did I say he was the leak? Are you ever having the same conversation as who you're arguing with?

[ QUOTE ]
there is no way people would ever have differing recollections on events, sequences of events, topics in conversation A vs conversation B. So he must be lying.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you have evidence that it was just a "differing recollection"? If so, you should have presented it to a court of law because the people that saw all the real evidence came to the conclusion that he was lying. You could have broke the case wide open.

[ QUOTE ]
I know you are a dem partisan....

[/ QUOTE ]

News to me. Also news to my presidential voting record. Tell me more...

[ QUOTE ]
the woman touted as the smartest woman in the world

[/ QUOTE ]

Link?

[ QUOTE ]
I bet you never had a harsh word for her or bill though.

[/ QUOTE ]

That terrible of a gambler on a poker site?
Old 07-03-2007, 03:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
For the last time.... he was not the leak...

[/ QUOTE ]

I like how you guys assume that Armitage is the only possible person who leaked Plame's identity. I guess it's easier to ignore the fact that Bush and/or Cheney leaked her identity, but it couldn't be proved because G. Gordon Libby did nothing but lie to investigators from the get go.