Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-18-2007, 11:45 AM

Default Re: Money is so overrated.

[ QUOTE ]
It makes people happy.

[/ QUOTE ]

The process of figuring out how to makes tons and tons of cash makes me happy.
Old 07-18-2007, 12:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If your goal in life is only to accumulate money, then you'll never be happy.

If you want to contribute to society in some way and work your ass off to do it, then you'll have money and be happy.

I had a job like the guy in Fight Club had and hated myself, but was making great money.

Now I am a cook working to make a contribution to American Cuisine and am loving it.

[/ QUOTE ]

imo, this is not true in the least. My goal in life is to accumulate money, Im very happy. Different people find different things fun, interesting, and challenging, for you it is cooking, for me it is finding out how to make money.

[/ QUOTE ]

What makes people happy naturally changes over time, depending what stage of life they're in. Of course, it's always possible to become stuck in one phase forever. I think toward the beginning and end, things converge though. We're the same when we come out and when we're really old we're all facing the same death.

People who make different choices are often facing the same basic problems of life, too, though -- marriage, divorce, raising kid, career advancement, etc.

What makes them happy during one of those stages might be pretty different for what makes them happy later. A young man devoting everything he can to getting ahead seems normal and even admirable in a way it's easy to understand, but an old man doing it seems kind of pathetic and misguided. I think that's the kind of thing this guy might be getting at. Some very good goals change how much they're worth to you over time. "Just get more money" looks like one of them.
Old 07-18-2007, 01:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

If you want to contribute to society in some way and work your ass off to do it, then you'll have money and be happy.

I had a job like the guy in Fight Club had and hated myself, but was making great money.

Now I am a cook working to make a contribution to American Cuisine and am loving it.

[/ QUOTE ]

imo, this is not true in the least. My goal in life is to accumulate money, Im very happy. Different people find different things fun, interesting, and challenging, for you it is cooking, for me it is finding out how to make money.

[/ QUOTE ]

What makes people happy naturally changes over time, depending what stage of life they're in. Of course, it's always possible to become stuck in one phase forever. I think toward the beginning and end, things converge though. We're the same when we come out and when we're really old we're all facing the same death.

People who make different choices are often facing the same basic problems of life, too, though -- marriage, divorce, raising kid, career advancement, etc.

What makes them happy during one of those stages might be pretty different for what makes them happy later. A young man devoting everything he can to getting ahead seems normal and even admirable in a way it's easy to understand, but an old man doing it seems kind of pathetic and misguided. I think that's the kind of thing this guy might be getting at. Some very good goals change how much they're worth to you over time. "Just get more money" looks like one of them.

[/ QUOTE ]

yes, I think a lot of this stems from people assuming you can only have one goal in life. imo, thats kind of retarded. I have many goals, personal, social, professional, I choose to devote my professional area to making money quickly and a lot of it, this is what makes me happy, the challenge, and the road to millions (if I ever make it). That doesnt mean I dont live a well rounded life, in fact, most COOKS I know are much more unhappy, and wear bigger blinders, and lead a less rounded life than most of the general public, and I know A LOT of cooks.