Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-29-2007, 01:14 AM

Default Re: Full Tilt Sends me to Monte Carlo with nothing...

[ QUOTE ]
Maybe I'm misreading this, but it sounds like the flight change was not the cause of this problem, but instead the mail he sent to FT about the flight change brought to light FT's (non)method for registering him in this event.

If that's the case, he's lucky he changed his flight, or he might have ended up in Monte Carlo for Day 1a to find that he's not registered, and no FT representative around to help out.

Err, which is what happened anyhow, it sounds like, but at least he had some heads-up.

Anyone know if this is how FT is normally handling their package buyins recently?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is what I'd want to know too. If OP hadn't contacted Full Tilt, what would have happened? Would he have been registered or not?
Old 03-29-2007, 02:00 AM

Wow. I've read all the arguements. MB hits it on the head.
It's inexcusable. I've already won a $1500 WSOP seat through FT. I'm dreading what kind of hassle it's gonna be to play that tourny. They didn't even email me w/ a hint of what to do to claim my seat. I had to do all the research through 2+2ers. How sad. (in fact, I'm still not sure. I have this vision of going to Vegas wandering around the Rio looking for some guy w/ greasy hair and a FT leather jacket smoking a cigarette giving out lammers. I picture my name written down on a crumpled piece of paper in his jacket pocket.)

FT is run by a bunch of dbags imo.
Old 03-29-2007, 03:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]

How long would it take you to get $13k, right now? 4 hours? 6? 24?

6 hours and 39 minutes
Old 03-29-2007, 05:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]

After that, when he TELLS THEM that this isn't easy for him then there is zero guessing involved. They screwed up.
He won a satellite and their forced 'solution' on him doesn't work.
He shouldn't be punished by FT and have to go through any hassle at all for not being able to come up with $13k on a spur of the moment.

[/ QUOTE ]

No offense MB, but it wasn't a forced solution. He told them he was going to miss day 1. They could have said "well sorry but messing up your airline reservations is your problem, not ours." Instead they pulled him out of day 1 and gave him a chance to at least play by putting the money back in his account and allowing him to decide how he wants to resolve his own snafu.

What you're saying is that if someone decides to ignore the start date of a tournament they've won an entry into then FT should bend over backwards to correct your problem.

Listen, I agree that the support side of this has been handled poorly. Even if they couldn't help him they could have done a better job communicating with him. But to suppose that his mistake translates into FT being responsible for making the guy whole is asking quite a bit.
Old 03-29-2007, 05:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
They could have said "well sorry but messing up your airline reservations is your problem, not ours."

[/ QUOTE ]

Ummm, yeah. That's what I've been saying.
Doing that would have been better than what they did do.
That would tell him that he definitely should try to change his flight or whatever.

Instead, he asked first if maybe they could help him out.
Perfectly understandable. He screwed up and wanted to see if he needed to change his flight or if FT could make things cool for him.

And FT responds by telling him he now has to figure out a way to buy-in for himself and they'll just pay him back later.

Not acceptable!!

Attention everyone:
FT did not directly hand him the money to buy-in.
Putting the money in his account doesn't accomplish this.

It just means they'll pay him this amount of money later (sometimes much later judging from FT's delays in paying their customers).

If the rules for Stars or FT WSOP satellites were, "If you win your seat you have to scrape up the cash and buy-in for yourself and then we'll pay you back the $10k a month later" I promise you there wouldn't be nearly as many people trying to qualify.

So FT thinking this is an acceptable solution for his problem (without even asking) is ridiculous.

Again, there's no way such a situation would be botched this badly on Stars.
Old 03-29-2007, 09:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Well, I'm 25 and I only have 1 credit card with a 5k line @ 9.9apr. Even with my perfect credit score, I'm not sure many banks would be thrilled to fork me over 10k+ to use for a poker tournament. Am I missing something? They do usually ask what the money's for right?

[/ QUOTE ]
Sorry, missed your post last night amongst all the noise.

First, your $5k line on your credit card probably has a cash advance limit that's actually much less. If you're 25, and this is all you have on the back burner for emergency cash, I find this very short-sighted in this day and age.

I don't know your story --debt, job, married, kids, cars, home, etc, but regardless of your situation, everyone should have a plan set up for emergency cash, at whatever level you have available.

There are any number of ways to implement such a plan. Credits cards are obviously the easiest. When discussing credit cards, I will assume you are not stupid. It has been proven over and over that stupid people+credit cards=disaster. At age 25, with a perfect credit rating, you could have any number of credit cards in your desk drawer, all with varying limits, and emergency cash available to you at a moment's notice.

If you have a home with equity, set up a line of credit.

If you have cars, set up an open note based on the value of the vehicles, which you can use as needed.

Whole life insurance policies have cash values that can be in your hand within days, at a dirt cheap interest rate.

Again, these suggestions are not for stupid people, just prudent ones (and for those who want to play in Monte Carlo after f'king up their plane reservations).

As for telling your banker what the money is for, if you have these set up in advance, you don't have to tell him a gd thing.
Old 03-29-2007, 08:08 PM

A lot of you guys don't understand. I came out here with the money to buy in. The thing is I have to claim cash when I come back so the more money I bring with me the more chances I will have to claim when I get back. Tax reasons mostly and other reasons that I don't want to get in to.

Anyway, I missed my international connection in Zurich. My flight to Dallas/Forth Wort had mechanical problems and I ended up getting in to MC at 3:30. The registration deadline was at 2. I never would not have had a problem buyin in with cash. However, when I got there, because in part of my previous problems I guess there was now no way I could buy in. So I didn't get to play. I am disclosing all important info here. Full tilt had sent me no prior e-mails with relevant information. There are little things that I wont get into. It was partly my fault for booking my flight too late. Everyone involved could have helped me out better than they did though. It's just sad that tournament directors here at EPT can not understand my problem and help me. They also completely blew me off. I even had friends out in MC explaining my problems to people out here before I even landed. Oh well, live and learn.
Old 03-30-2007, 04:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
A lot of you guys don't understand. I came out here with the money to buy in. The thing is I have to claim cash when I come back so the more money I bring with me the more chances I will have to claim when I get back. Tax reasons mostly and other reasons that I don't want to get in to.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't understand this part. Even if FTP had done everything they were supposed to, if you won any sizeable amount of money you would have to claim it regardless. I can see if you're saying that you planned on taking $13,000 and won $1000 in cash games and had to report $14,000 on the way back to the US but other than that it doesn't make much sense.
Old 03-30-2007, 04:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't understand this part. Even if FTP had done everything they were supposed to, if you won any sizeable amount of money you would have to claim it regardless. I can see if you're saying that you planned on taking $13,000 and won $1000 in cash games and had to report $14,000 on the way back to the US but other than that it doesn't make much sense.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol @ not realizing why he doesn't want to take the cash...think a little harder
Old 03-30-2007, 07:51 AM

You are cracking me up in this thread cardcounter! Nice work. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

Jeff