Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-21-2007, 12:53 PM

Default Re: ACism and global warming

[ QUOTE ]
It seems to me that if I ask a Fundamentalist Christian what should be done to prepare for Judgment Day, he'll have an acceptable answer ready. If I ask an Agnostic or Athiest he will attack the Christian's answer and the premise of the question, but he will not propose a solution of his own. I'm sure you see how this makes perfect sense due to to the individuals' differing beliefs about reality.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 09-21-2007, 01:04 PM

That's a horribly butchered fix of my post. Do you mean that ACists don't believe global warming is a problem in the same way that atheists don't believe judgement day is a problem? (I'm pretty sure the only reason atheists don't deal with the problem of judgement day is that they don't think the problem exists.) That seems like an outragous claim, but ignoring that: I'm not interested in a scientific discussion around global warming. If you don't think global warming is a problem, skip to my abstract question with people Y and X and the bad consequences of Z.
Old 09-21-2007, 02:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Do you mean that ACists don't believe global warming is a problem in the same way that atheists don't believe judgement day is a problem?

[/ QUOTE ]

All of them? No. Many if not most (assuming you mean man-made global warming)? Yes. Of course I'm not AC and can't speak for them, but given their distrust of government and that most MMGW data is produced with government funding, I'm not surprised that there is a healthy amount of skepticism. I figured you assumed the same since your characterization was that ACists would necessarily attack the premise of the question (as an atheist would). Maybe it wasn't a perfect parallel, but certainly the reaction you describe is not unexpected or illogical.

The XYZ debate is difficult, and I'm not sure the solution. The problem I guess comes in whether you can prove Y's actions actually cause X to harm Z.