Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-08-2007, 02:45 PM

Default Re: theblackkeys\' \"Starting Strength\" log

[ QUOTE ]
blackkeys,

good work on the progress! I am not a doctor but I would get a second opinion on what your doctor said because his opinion seems misguided to me!

[/ QUOTE ]
EricW,

thanks. Also, I pretty much ignored his advice as soon as I heard it because it sounded so ridiculous.

<u>Bench Press:</u>
5x95
3x115
3x5x155.
Very happy with my progress on bench so far. I haven't felt a lick of pain like I did six months ago. I think going straight from lazy couch potato to heavy lifting is what hurt me in the first place. I stayed active during summer so missing 6 months in the gym didn't hurt me as much.

<u>Deadlifts:</u>
5x135
3x185
5x210

<u>Chinups: all from a dead hang</u>
2, 1.75, 1.5

<u>Pullups (assisted):</u>
5x90 lbs
8x100 lbs
6x100 lbs

I woke up 20 minutes before my workout so the deadlifts were a bit more difficult than last time.
Old 10-10-2007, 08:26 PM

BAM! much better workout.

<u>Press:</u>
warmup @ 45 lbs
5x65
3x85
3x5x100 WOO!

<u>Power Cleans:</u>
Warmup @ 95 lbs
5x3x120
I think my form is pretty good. I'm gonna try and get a video on the internet and get some feedback.

<u>Chinups:</u>
2, 1.75, 1.75

<u>Dips:</u>
2x8 @ bodyweight. I should add some weight soon

<u>Pullups:</u>
2x8 @ 100 lbs assistance
Old 10-13-2007, 02:04 AM

Went surfing, ate 3 eggs, 2 turkey bacon, 2 wonder lite toast, and an el pollo loco brc burrito. Had tons of energy at the gym.

<u>Bench Press:</u>
5x95
3x135
3x5x160.

<u>Deadlifts:</u>
5x135
3x175
1x195
5x215
felt really strong, could have probably done 220.

2, 1.75

Tried facepulls with a light weight today. My back muscle, near the bottom part of my shoulder blade hurt a little bit. So it seems as though I have a bit of a flexibility/bone structure problem. I also tried to do an overhead squat and was unable to, probably a shoulder flexibility issue. My torso makes a normal forward lean, and my shoulders are unable to handle that extra ROM. I will keep on working on it though.

<u>Chinups (assisted):</u>
2x8 @ 90 lbs
Old 10-15-2007, 04:04 AM

Had to move my workout up one day to accommodate my buddy.

<u>Press:</u>
warmup @ 45 lbs
5x65
3x95
3x5x105
Last set was shaky. I'm keeping the weight the same next time, and will move up five after.

<u>Power Cleans:</u>
Warmup @ 65 lbs
3x95
5x3x125
Got a little sluggish. Five sets of three takes a long ass time.

2.75, 1.75

<u>Facepulls:</u>
Did a random amount of reps at 20 and 25 lbs. I'm doing these to keep my shoulders in better shape.

<u>Dips:</u>
2x8 @ bodyweight.

<u>Pullups:</u>
2x8 @ 90 lbs assistance
I guess I am making a little progress after all.

I've been doing pullups every workout. In the rippetoe program they are an assistance exercise, but I feel like I need to work more on those than on bench press for instance. I've done a lot more benching in my life than pulling movements, and I think it's wise to balance it out. The other approved assistance exercise in the rippetoe program is dips, but I only do those on non-bench press days. Should I do dips on bench day as well? Should I skip a pullup day here and there to give myself some recovery?
Old 10-15-2007, 08:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I've been doing pullups every workout. In the rippetoe program they are an assistance exercise, but I feel like I need to work more on those than on bench press for instance. I've done a lot more benching in my life than pulling movements, and I think it's wise to balance it out. The other approved assistance exercise in the rippetoe program is dips, but I only do those on non-bench press days. Should I do dips on bench day as well? Should I skip a pullup day here and there to give myself some recovery?

[/ QUOTE ]

If your doing dips they should be done on workout A (bench day) and pull/chin-ups should be done on workout B (press day.) You should not be doing these exercises on the wrong day unless you can't do the complete sets.

These movements are for assistance so if your doing dips you don't want to tire your tris/chest so you can't properly perform your bench. Thats why you should do them after and not on different days.

Don't worry about skipping pull-ups as you are not going to overtrain yourself since your only doing partial sets. Infact try doing them several times a day, this way it will help you build up your strength an soon you will be able to do a set. At that point then you should no longer do them daily.
Old 10-15-2007, 02:06 PM

I do the dips on non-bench days currently, thinking that increasing the frequency of tricep work rather than volume on the same day will help me make better gains on bench presses. I will probably just switch it to how you said since it's part of the program, and to test it out for a bit. I do think I'm getting close to stalling on the bench press, maybe next week sometime, so I don't think experimenting with moving the dips around will really tell me anything of value. Its a different situation that the last few weeks where gains have been very very easy. Thanks man.
Old 10-15-2007, 02:54 PM

You have the right idea but it's flawed a bit. Yes the assistance work will help with your bench as the dips will work the tris and the more you lean forward the chest as well. But the point is to do it after your bench to stress the area but give it time to rest, which is the purpose of the day between workouts. Doing bench one day and dips the other defeats the purpose as you will be trying to bench tired and won;t see the results. Think of it as working abs hard today and trying to squat and deadlift heavy tomorrow, your weak/sore core will cause you trouble.

And about the stalling point, it happens especially when gains are coming fast. Deload and push again and you'll pass the stall. Doing dips (or any assistance work) won't see immediate results but will definetly help with the compound movement overtime.
Old 10-15-2007, 03:28 PM

ast-ss.com go to the MAX-OT section. /end thread

yes, it is that good.
Old 10-16-2007, 03:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You have the right idea but it's flawed a bit. Yes the assistance work will help with your bench as the dips will work the tris and the more you lean forward the chest as well. But the point is to do it after your bench to stress the area but give it time to rest, which is the purpose of the day between workouts. Doing bench one day and dips the other defeats the purpose as you will be trying to bench tired and won;t see the results. Think of it as working abs hard today and trying to squat and deadlift heavy tomorrow, your weak/sore core will cause you trouble.

And about the stalling point, it happens especially when gains are coming fast. Deload and push again and you'll pass the stall. Doing dips (or any assistance work) won't see immediate results but will definetly help with the compound movement overtime.

[/ QUOTE ]
Well when I was able to squat, doing it every other day was eye opening. I'd recover one day, be stronger the next and just continue that. It took a couple of weeks for my body to adjust to that. That's basically opposite of what everyone tells you how to workout (avg joe guys at least, who don't know what they're doing), they use the blast a muscle to hell one day and rest that part for a week idea.

I was using that increased frequency idea instead of increased volume when I put dips on a non-bench day. Although one thing that may be different is the size of the muscle groups involved.
Old 10-16-2007, 10:04 AM

Lol at the average joes, it's not just them a lot of people are like that. But remember there is more than one way to skin a cat. Some laugh at the total body workout, while others swear by it and you can get results by ALL splits.

One thing that is common among most splits it that they give time for each muscle to rest. SS is designed to provide a workout for the whole (most) body but then give it time to rest. It is a simple program designed for the beginner/novie or someone returning to working out and it should not be altered.

As I said you may not now notice trouble but you will by doing dips and bench on alternating days but they should be done on the same day. They work the same muscle groups and they need the time to rest. Try a little experiment... do you sets of dips, add weight to your waist if you can, then do your bench (make sure you have a spotter) and see how your bench is affected. Although this is a drastic comparison it is the same idea and will show how the muscle will struggle when preexhausted.

I don't mean to be rude if it comes off that way, I think your making great gains and I enjoy reading your journal. I am passionate about the SS program as I have done it a couple times with GREAT success and have read Rippetoes books and articles countless times over the years