Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-21-2007, 05:07 PM

Default Re: *Official* Philadelphia E-A-G-L-E-S Thread (2007-2008)

I loaded up the sports forum this morning before ESPN, and when I saw that this thread had ten new replies my first thought was "uh oh, something bad happened."

I love Trot and I'm going to miss him, but this isn't that shocking. The Eagles have several young guys they really like: Gaither, Dedrick Roper, Bradley and yes, even McCoy.

Gaither will almost certainly replace Trot in the starting line-up. One option is a straight swap, putting Gaither in the middle, which is what the Eagles website is saying. The second option is to move Spikes to the inside and play Gaither on the weak side, which is what ESPN is saying might happen. Spikes has taken the majority of his Eagles snaps on the weak side, but iirc he played in the middle in Buffalo.
Old 08-21-2007, 05:25 PM

Spikes should def be moved to the middle/inside
Old 08-21-2007, 09:36 PM

Little surprised he was cut. I figured they would keep him on for this year still. Trotter certainly slipped last year and teams (Saints in the playoffs) were taking advantage of his lack of speed by throwing when he was in there.

Kinda nervous about all these young guys they have starting on defense now. Bunkley, Gocong, Gaither, and Considine should all start against the Packers and none of them have really proven they can even play yet.
Old 08-21-2007, 11:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I loaded up the sports forum this morning before ESPN, and when I saw that this thread had ten new replies my first thought was "uh oh, something bad happened."

I love Trot and I'm going to miss him, but this isn't that shocking. The Eagles have several young guys they really like: Gaither, Dedrick Roper, Bradley and yes, even McCoy.

Gaither will almost certainly replace Trot in the starting line-up. One option is a straight swap, putting Gaither in the middle, which is what the Eagles website is saying. The second option is to move Spikes to the inside and play Gaither on the weak side, which is what ESPN is saying might happen. Spikes has taken the majority of his Eagles snaps on the weak side, but iirc he played in the middle in Buffalo.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with the sentiments on Trotter. I didn't think he deserved to start this year (I thought he should have backed up Gaither and played in short-yardage situations) but he is a leader on this team, so I'm a little surprised the cut him. He and Spikes were close, so I hope the cut doesn't affect Spikes in any way. I doubt it will, since Spikes is about as professional as they come.

Obviously the Eagles have a ton of cap space, so I doubt it was an issue of paying a back up $2 million a year. Rather, I think they wanted to get their young guys a lot of playing time. They obviously see a lot of talent there.

I like Gaither to start in the middle, and I know they had been touting him as the MIKE of the future this entire off-season. That said, it might make more sense for to the Eagles to start him at WILL and Spikes at MIKE for the next couple of years, so they could move Bradley into the MIKE position in a few years. Between Bradley and Gaither, I'm not sure who I'd like better as the future at MIKE, but of the two, only Gaither has any experience at WILL.

For the future, we'd have:

Gocong Bradley Gaither
Daniels Roper McCoy

Obviously that's a lot of young guys that need to pan out, but this has me much more excited at LB position than in the past.
Old 08-22-2007, 02:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Little surprised he was cut. I figured they would keep him on for this year still. Trotter certainly slipped last year and teams (Saints in the playoffs) were taking advantage of his lack of speed by throwing when he was in there.

Kinda nervous about all these young guys they have starting on defense now. Bunkley, Gocong, Gaither, and Considine should all start against the Packers and none of them have really proven they can even play yet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, but they dumped Taylor and Vincent, multi-year All-pros for Sheppard and Brown, that worked out okay and CBs commit mistakes that turn out far worse than MLBs.
Old 08-26-2007, 08:50 PM

Bump for Steelers game

Madden just said that McNabb's throwing percentage when rolling out of the pocket is "over 100%". lol

Two big turnovers for the D.
Old 08-26-2007, 08:57 PM

and too many f*cking penalties!!!
Old 08-26-2007, 08:59 PM

constantino rocca or whatever his first name is looks good
Old 08-26-2007, 09:17 PM

linebackers and considine look lost. thats not good.
Old 08-26-2007, 09:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
linebackers and considine look lost. thats not good.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought they looked good in the first quarter, not so much in the second quarter. A lot of problems seemed to come on over-pursuit on the pass rush. This could obviously become an issue throughout the season, but I think it's something that can be fixed.

Sav Rocca did look good, but his 4th punt wasn't great, and I'm afraid that's all it will take for Andy to stick with Dirk. Ugh, I'd be so disappointed.

Bunkley looked pretty good, and it was good to see most of the starters out there tonight. Any news on Kearse? I saw him hobble off, but then didn't see him again. I may have just missed him, as I was trying to multi-task.