Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-26-2006, 07:34 PM

Default Re: Let\'s Read

The Battle for Investment Survival by Gerald Loeb
Old 05-03-2006, 03:55 AM

OK, I've setup a Digest to track our reading...

Please continue to post your thoughts, comments & suggestions in this thread.

Any thoughts on whether I should add additional material to the digest, or suggestions on managing the stickying of current reading topics, or anything else related to the reading project, please post them here.

Still looking for others to take on leadership of the reading of other books, so please let me know if you are interested.
Old 05-06-2006, 10:22 PM

You guys have got to read Profiting In Bull and Bear Markets by Stan Weinstein. It is considered a classic, it's a great introduction to technical analysis, it's straightforward and understandable and it works.

It's a great book. Darvas' book is also a really entertaining, quick read to follow up after Weinstein.
Old 05-23-2006, 01:45 AM

If anyone can recommend a good day trading book, I'm happy to read it. I don't think one exists.

eastbay
Old 05-23-2006, 12:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If anyone can recommend a good day trading book, I'm happy to read it. I don't think one exists.

eastbay

[/ QUOTE ]

You can start with...

Tools and Tactics for the Master Day Trader by Velez & Capra (the Pristine.com guys)
Charting by Michael "Tiny" Saul (of Trendfund.com) is a good quick intro to Technical Analysis
Come into my Trading Room by Dr. Alexander Elder
The Day Trader's Advantage by Howard Abell
The Market Maker's Edge by Josh Lukeman
Profitable Day Trading with Precision by George Angell
Japanese Candlestick charting by Steve Nison

... and some of the other books in the reading list sticky
Old 05-23-2006, 12:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

eastbay

[/ QUOTE ]

You can start with...

Tools and Tactics for the Master Day Trader by Velez & Capra (the Pristine.com guys)
Charting by Michael "Tiny" Saul (of Trendfund.com) is a good quick intro to Technical Analysis

[/ QUOTE ]

I have read all of those except Japanese Candlestick.

I don't need to read about how I need to cut my losers and let my winners run, or how I need to find a system that matches my personality, or any of the other standard meaningless day trading cliches. I am also not interested in reading chart tea leaves by eyeball metric.

Give me something I can use, that is quantifiable, verifiable, and actionable. The real problem is that anyone who has good ideas about system development and evaluation isn't going to write a book about them.

eastbay
Old 05-23-2006, 12:40 PM

fwiw, I'm majoring in financial instruments and quantitative finance at NYU (MBA) and will share what books we've read (all provide a solid foundation):

Investments by Bodie, Kane, and Marcus (this is an intro to finance book: CAPM, fixed income, options, valuation, etc)

Hull's book on derivatives

Damodaran's book on valuation (he teaches at NYU and is great for valuation)

Tuckman's book on fixed income securities (even if you don't care about bonds/swaps/options/forwards, the book is heavy on binomial trees, risk neutral probabilities, and creating replicating portfolios, which I believe helps in developing a trader/investor mindset)

Those are the biggies so far, in case you're interested in what the finance schools use.
Old 05-23-2006, 01:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

eastbay

[/ QUOTE ]

You can start with...

[/ QUOTE ]

I have read all of those except Japanese Candlestick.

I don't need to read about how I need to cut my losers and let my winners run, or how I need to find a system that matches my personality, or any of the other standard meaningless day trading cliches. I am also not interested in reading chart tea leaves by eyeball metric.

Give me something I can use, that is quantifiable, verifiable, and actionable. The real problem is that anyone who has good ideas about system development and evaluation isn't going to write a book about them.

eastbay

[/ QUOTE ]

wow... I figured some of those were so obscure you hadn't seen them yet...

How about these?...

New Trading Systems and Methods by Perry Kaufman
The Encyclopedia of Trading Strategies by Katz & McCormick
Professional Stock Trading: System Design and Automation by Conway & Behle

Are you using Tradestation?
Old 05-23-2006, 02:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
fwiw, I'm majoring in financial instruments and quantitative finance at NYU (MBA) and will share what books we've read (all provide a solid foundation):

Investments by Bodie, Kane, and Marcus (this is an intro to finance book: CAPM, fixed income, options, valuation, etc)

Hull's book on derivatives

Damodaran's book on valuation (he teaches at NYU and is great for valuation)

Tuckman's book on fixed income securities (even if you don't care about bonds/swaps/options/forwards, the book is heavy on binomial trees, risk neutral probabilities, and creating replicating portfolios, which I believe helps in developing a trader/investor mindset)

Those are the biggies so far, in case you're interested in what the finance schools use.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hull is a classic

Damodaran's Corp Fin book is great, and everyone I know at NYU loves him, so I'll assume the valuation book is good as well

Tuckerman I don't know

"Investment Science" by Luenberger is a less unnecessarily wordy version of BKM

edit: that being said, I doubt any of these are what we're looking for here.
Old 05-23-2006, 02:21 PM

Ed, in case you hadn't noticed, his post was a reply to the OP... are you saying that none of those books are worthwhile reading for the forum?

In either case, I find the information on what's being read in colleges, to be interesting.

I also wouldn't mind seeing some posts by some of the college students taking courses, describing what they are learning in some of their courses.