Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-17-2006, 07:33 PM

Default Re: Would you save 10 million people?

I would feel better if this position were being espoused by someone who wasn't Hedonism Bot. I keep picturing the voice, etc, it doesn't quite click.
Old 09-17-2006, 07:41 PM

How could the answers not be yes and yes?

If you don't care about 10 million other lives, you would have no problem physically murdering 10 million people in order to save yourself? You all have some serious issues
Old 09-17-2006, 07:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]

If you don't care about 10 million other lives, you would have no problem physically murdering 10 million people in order to save yourself? You all have some serious issues

[/ QUOTE ]

Old 09-17-2006, 07:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Do you think it's silly to do things for people you don't know? Do you think there's no reason to give money to charity to try and help out less fortunate people? I bet you would have no objection giving $100 to a 3rd world family because that would do so much more for them than for you.

[/ QUOTE ]

no i don't think it's silly to do things for people i don't know. i think giving to charity is a great thing. i would certainly have no objection to giving $100 to a 3rd world family.

however if i asked someone if they would give to charity and they said no, i wouldn't think this person was selfish at all. it is their choice.

what is the difference between 10 million humans on earth and 100 trillion aliens in deep space? is life just life? or is it all about intelligent life?

the fact is, logically your points make little sense.
Old 09-17-2006, 07:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Not really. There is very little difference between refusing to give your life to save others and taking others' lives to save yourself.

If you would not give your life to save 10 million others because you care so much about yourself, if you could easily and quickly murder 10 million others to find the cure to your terminal illness, surely you would do so right?
Old 09-17-2006, 08:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Do you think it's silly to do things for people you don't know? Do you think there's no reason to give money to charity to try and help out less fortunate people? I bet you would have no objection giving $100 to a 3rd world family because that would do so much more for them than for you.

[/ QUOTE ]

no i don't think it's silly to do things for people i don't know. i think giving to charity is a great thing. i would certainly have no objection to giving $100 to a 3rd world family.

however if i asked someone if they would give to charity and they said no, i wouldn't think this person was selfish at all. it is their choice.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't say they were selfish either; that is not the point I was making. Giving money to charity is analogous to giving your life. Of course you would not think someone was stupid for giving $100 to charity. Sure they could use it, but the 3rd world family gets much more utility out of that $100. Makes sense right? This is the way I feel about the original question. Sure I would like to live out my life, but the 10 million people will get a lot more out of their 10 million lives than I will get out of my 1 life. Same thing right?

[/ QUOTE ]the fact is, logically your points make little sense.

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 09-17-2006, 08:15 PM

What if it was a totally different scenario:

Plane is going down or something (ship what have you) and there is a finite amount of parachutes (life jackets/boats etc..) Would you give up yours to save someone else (say a woman or child?) Or would you say, sorry bitch I dont know you and I dont want to die NOW? Or would you do it in that instance because you'd be considered a hero? And therefore making the choice easier for you. What if no one saw you give it to them and they never said anything, would that make a difference?

I would certainly give up my singular life, in order to save an untold amount of people. Even if no one would know. Who am I? There are tons of things out there that I havent done and I want to do...and I certainly dont want to die now...but if I could have the chance to save lives by giving my own, I absolutely would.
Old 09-17-2006, 08:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
the key point for me is that future life is not really affected. i mean, if say 6 billion people were killed, that would cause a serious disruption to the world. also the chances that someone i know will be killed are fairly good at that point. therefore i would sacrifice myself to spare some very high number of people. however 10 million or even 100 million is barely a blip on the screen.

[/ QUOTE ]

Even if you would never be affected in the minutest possible way, a [censored] load of other people would be. Do you not care about anyone other than yourself? Imagine all the grief you would be causing to the people who knew the 10 million. And assume that on average each person had 30 years left to live, you are taking away 300 million years of human life so that you can live what, another 50? It doesn't seem like a hard decision.

[/ QUOTE ]

how do those 300 million years of live have any value to you once you're dead?

[/ QUOTE ]

Amazingly enough I don't base all my actions on what's in it for me.

[/ QUOTE ]

you believe that, but it isn't true.
Old 09-17-2006, 08:53 PM

I think your conceptions of spirituality are going to make a big difference here. For some people, death doesn't really even seem like that big a deal, which makes it easier to throw your life away on a lark. For others, their life is all they really conceive of having, so it's difficult to imagine any circumstances under which it would be worth giving it up.
Old 09-17-2006, 08:58 PM

for those that think its wrong not to give up your life for strangers, even ten million. you have to ask yourself would the world be better off with ten million less. if so then you are really doing a disservice to the rest of the world.
then ask if helping others live is worth so much why wouldnt you give all your money to charities that save lives. arent you being selfish by keeping money when surely it would save many lives.
i am not refering to -personally killing them to save yourself but to not acting to save them saves yourself.