Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-16-2007, 09:01 PM

Default Re: TV in the Lounge, Fall 07 Edition

Just wanted to let people know that a new episode of Tell Me You Love Me is coming up at 9:00 followed by a new episode of Curb Your Enthusiasm.

Sarahbellum, you going to watch?
Old 09-16-2007, 09:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I finally watched Tell Me You Love Me. I was underwhelmed. It wasn't all that interesting, and if it wasn't for the sex, there wouldn't really be anything worth watching for me. I might catch another episode, but this is on probation.

[/ QUOTE ]

I found it incredibly boring. I'll watch it one more time but I feel I probably won't make it all the way to the end of the second episode.
Old 09-16-2007, 09:36 PM

I'll probably DVR most new quasi-interesting series but most of them will probably get a quick hook. I'm really looking forward to a new season of Dexter.
Old 09-16-2007, 11:20 PM

Curb Your Enthusiasm was great tonight! I laughed so hard. I hope they keep that Leon character around. He's a great addition. This was actually one of my favorite episodes. The flirting between Cheryl and Ted is pretty funny and the scene where Susie comes to Larry's house to confront him -- [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] what a hoot!

Right now I'm watching a special on Afghanistan (CNN). It's really depressing. Not much has improved for the women over there after 6 years. I'm pretty shocked. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] Their living conditions are just unbelievable even with the Taliban removed.
Old 09-17-2007, 01:18 PM

Anyone watch Tell Me You Love Me last night? I found it a little uncomfortable. This show is too depressing. I kind of like that Palek guy but his wife is annoying.

What's your theory on why that one guy (Dave?) refuses to get it on with his wife? That whole storyline is bothering me.
Old 09-17-2007, 03:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Curb Your Enthusiasm was great tonight! I laughed so hard. I hope they keep that Leon character around. He's a great addition. This was actually one of my favorite episodes. The flirting between Cheryl and Ted is pretty funny and the scene where Susie comes to Larry's house to confront him -- [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] what a hoot!

Right now I'm watching a special on Afghanistan (CNN). It's really depressing. Not much has improved for the women over there after 6 years. I'm pretty shocked. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] Their living conditions are just unbelievable even with the Taliban removed.

[/ QUOTE ]

I saw that special but it's not even a little surprising, if you keep up on that area a bit. I was surprised it was as good as it was. They wouldn't let women be doctors at all for a while under the Taliban, and after, there was still constant violence against women who wanted to do pretty much any work outside the home. The result was that, since male doctors weren't allowed to touch or look at female patients, and there could be no female doctors, women who got sick were pretty much stuck unless they somehow found a way to get themselves taken care of in some sort of underground fashion.
Old 09-17-2007, 09:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
They wouldn't let women be doctors at all for a while under the Taliban, and after, there was still constant violence against women who wanted to do pretty much any work outside the home. The result was that, since male doctors weren't allowed to touch or look at female patients, and there could be no female doctors, women who got sick were pretty much stuck unless they somehow found a way to get themselves taken care of in some sort of underground fashion.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh well this explains the part I missed then. I left the room and when I came back they were talking about how a lot of women in Afghanistan die giving birth or something like that. I was wondering why.

So you don't find it shocking that the conditions for the women and girls are as dismal as ever? I would have thought things would have improved now that the taliban are out of power. I thought it was interesting that the old man wanted his daughter to go to school and become educated, while many of the younger men had very archaic notions of what women should do. Even the educated men wanted their women under lock and key and saw nothing wrong with beating their girls. And the number of girls who set themselves on fire as a way of trying to kill themselves was pretty appalling.
Old 09-17-2007, 10:01 PM

No, I used to read the newspaper every day and a lot of magazines and read about this kind of stuff very frequently. Just because the Taliban are officially out of power doesn't mean they don't still threaten and kill people and have an enormous impact on the way the country runs. Remember this is a country that welcomed the Taliban revolution and supported it tremendously. Just because some Americans come in there and completely kick ass doesn't change anyone's opinions, or necessarily make real life on the streets any different. The president won't even let himself be guarded by his own countrymen, but wants an American guard, because the country is so unstable top to bottom.

You can read of similar terrible things going on in India and Nigeria and the Sudan, too. Honor killings are big, in India even by burning alive, and India has cornered the market on the tradition of throwing acid in the faces of women who refuse a marriage or even just a date. Sometimes the guy gets caught, but often let go. Sometimes the guy admits the woman didn't even know him.

This kind of thing needs to be taken a lot more seriously when we talk about the political reform we are bringing to other societies. (Generally through our own violence.) Often for everyday purposes it's negligible to non-existent. As John Lennon said, Woman is the n*gger of the world.

It's not true everywhere, but a whole lot of the world is still in a sort of depraved stone age. And they like it! It makes clear how honest and non-political some American soldiers are when they say they want to kiss the ground when they come back to America from the hellholes around the world they have gone to serve in, even in times of peace.
Old 09-18-2007, 01:31 AM

Alright, I just watched the pre-air of Life. For me, this show is on probation. The supporting cast was decent, and NBC successfully manufactured curiosity with the whodunnit and how this cop got thrown in jail, but I don't so much care for the main character. He seems a little too much like the Rain Man for me, and the Zen BS he keeps rattling off is kind of annoying. Yeah, his partner is hot, but not hot enough for me to tune in to a crappy show every week. The super-cop stuff was a little over the top, but not a deal breaker at this point. I'll allow the show to go a little over the top to grab our attention, but if this guy keeps pulling this crap out of his ass, it'll grow old quickly. I was somewhat annoyed by the fact that they didn't explain any of the circumstances of his own case. I guess they're building mystery or something, but if we don't get most of the details about this guy's backstory pretty quickly, it'll just be a nuisance. I also have to agree w/ the criticism that this show is going to have a hard time either choosing to have this guy drag out not being able to solve his own case, in which case all the viewers are wholly unsatisfied, or letting him actually solve it, in which case it'll probably just turn into Law and Order: Zen and Melon Unit.

I'll give this show one or two more episodes before I give up.
Old 09-18-2007, 06:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Anyone watch Tell Me You Love Me last night? I found it a little uncomfortable. This show is too depressing. I kind of like that Palek guy but his wife is annoying.

What's your theory on why that one guy (Dave?) refuses to get it on with his wife? That whole storyline is bothering me.

[/ QUOTE ]

I just watched this, I'd speculate, but I don't even care. I hardly even know the names of most of the characters, and none of their stories are interesting or gripping. They just seem like a bunch of weird people with that lovely combination of issues and wanting to maintain appearances, and Ordinary People this is not.