Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-21-2007, 10:32 AM

Default Re: English-only policy

[ QUOTE ]
i ask again, why shouldn't immigrants have to learn english?

[/ QUOTE ]

why should they?
Old 11-21-2007, 11:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Because [censored] you that's why. Why should someone be forced to do something just because them not doing it makes you uncomfortable? I think it's probably in the best interests of immigrants to learn the majority language of the country they travel to but if they don't want to that's their decision.

[/ QUOTE ]

We agree it's their own business whether they choose to learn English or not. We don't agree that they are entitled to a job without speaking English.
Old 11-21-2007, 11:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
DblBarrelJ,

I think you should be forced to take Chinese classes because one day you may run into someone who doesn't speak English. I also think you should be forced to take Japanese classes for the same reason. Better study up on that French because you might run into one of those french-canadians hopping the border. Best throw in some Vietnamese because you never know.

What do you do for a living again?

[/ QUOTE ]

Law enforcement, LOL. I should probably study up on the many different African dialects as well, "just in case".

Honestly, I really don't have a big problem with mandatory Spanish, it was just random bitching about a small hindrance in my own life, and I guess Kaj took it personally for some reason.

[/ QUOTE ]

Then maybe you shouldn't have spent a half dozen posts defending that random bitching through arguments that were easily shown to be lacking. Next time just say its random bitching and not based on anything any more substantive.

Edit: And aren't you a cop in Texas? Yeah, it's absurd to imagine a cop in Texas running across anybody who might speak Spanish. I'm sure it's just as likely as some African language as you are now pretending. It's funny that a cop used the statement "Everyone I work with speaks English" in this thread -- like duh, genius, I am also sure every criminal in Texas speaks English, too.

Ad hominem: The fact that the state gives people who reason as well as you a gun and authority should be enough to convice many to anarchism.
Old 11-21-2007, 11:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Because [censored] you that's why. Why should someone be forced to do something just because them not doing it makes you uncomfortable? I think it's probably in the best interests of immigrants to learn the majority language of the country they travel to but if they don't want to that's their decision.

[/ QUOTE ]

We agree it's their own business whether they choose to learn English or not. We don't agree that they are entitled to a job without speaking English.

[/ QUOTE ]

Noone is entitled to a job. But if they can get a job without being able to speak english good luck to them.
Old 11-21-2007, 11:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
OK, here it is. I'm amazed you can't grasp this concept. It is a positive to have employees who can communicate in Spanish. However, it is imperative that you be able to communicate in English!

I have no problem with people who can speak 5 languages, but if you are living in America, and hope to be a functioning member of American life, English should be one of those five!

I never said being bilingual wasn't a positive, what I said was that if you can't communicate using the language most Americans use, you're not a valuable asset to an employer in America.

[/ QUOTE ]

The people who hire people who can't speak english disagree with you.
Old 11-21-2007, 11:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Noone is entitled to a job. But if they can get a job without being able to speak english good luck to them.

[/ QUOTE ]

They got the job. Are they entitled to keep it?
Is this the employer's decision?
Old 11-21-2007, 11:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Noone is entitled to anyone elses resources unless stipulated in a contract or a parent child relationship. Employers have the right (in morality not in law) to hire and fire any person at any time for any reason as long as they aren't breaking any contracts they've signed.
Old 11-21-2007, 12:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
My problem is with the "mandatory" part of it [regarding Spanish skills for a job]. ... As to the OP, I also believe that a business is certainly entitled to require all employees to speak English.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hypocrisy ftw.

[/ QUOTE ]

Its not hypocrisy, it's common sense. What language are you communicating in now?

I certainly wouldn't hire someone who to work for me who couldn't communicate with me or my customers.

[/ QUOTE ]

But some people *would* hire someone who can't speak english. Often, this does not cause an inability to communicate with the boss, and often, these people don't directly interact with customers. What's so horrible about that?
Old 11-21-2007, 12:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
It is a positive to have employees who can communicate in Spanish. However, it is imperative that you be able to communicate in English!

[/ QUOTE ]

Why because you say so? Did you just declare an official state language for all of America right here on 2+2? Is that now the law of the land? Sorry, dude, but you don't get to tell every business and state/local govt in America which language it MUST conduct its business in.

[/ QUOTE ]

I never said I did. I simply said that if a business owner won't hire someone who can't speak English, good for him. He's got an advantage over someone who will when I need whatever service he provides.

A business owner has the right to hire whomever he chooses.

A question to you. If I have two otherwise equally qualified candidates apply for a job, with the exception that one cannot speak English, so I go with the one who can, would you support that candidates right to sue me for not hiring him, because I instead chose the other candidate?

[/ QUOTE ]

Has anyone seen the goalposts?
Old 11-21-2007, 12:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Both the employer and the employee have the "entitlement" to end the employment at any time for any reason.