Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Golf
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-02-2007, 02:47 AM

Default Re: President\'s Cup

Looking at these stats for Weir and Mattiace reinforced a stat for me. The cuts made stat is fairly worthless because there are so many events where there is no cut.

BO
Old 10-02-2007, 04:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Looking at these stats for Weir and Mattiace reinforced a stat for me. The cuts made stat is fairly worthless because there are so many events where there is no cut.

BO

[/ QUOTE ]

Players like Mattiace aren't playing in those events.
Old 10-02-2007, 04:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
He sure was in 2002-3 when he made all those cuts.

But hey, what do I know? You're the man.

BO
Old 10-02-2007, 05:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
He sure was in 2002-3 when he made all those cuts.

But hey, what do I know? You're the man.

BO

[/ QUOTE ]

I stand corrected. My count shows he played in 5 such tournaments in those two years.

Not sure where the you're the man comment came from. Maybe you are having a bad day but we could do without such jabs.
Old 10-02-2007, 05:35 PM

My ligga,

BO can be kind of uh, cutting at times. Such is the nature of the internet. What's funny is he's right, you are the man.

As for the statistics posted upthread, color me surprised that in the year prior to Weir's win, Mattiace had two victories and made a lot more money. In the bigger picture he was less successful in the years prior and in 2003 (I think at least one of Weir's other wins came before the Masters). When it was coming down the stretch that day I thought of Weir as the much more accomplished player and Mattiace a journeyman pro who had the chance to become the Masters equivalent of Rich Beem or Paul Lawrie.
Old 10-02-2007, 06:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Weir was way, way ahead of Mattiace in the rankings at the time. "Household name"? Maybe not, but he was highly regarded for his talent, whereas to that point Mattiace was best known for blowing his shot over the island green at the Players, which knocked him out of contention in spectacular fashion.

[/ QUOTE ]

i didn't know anything about mattiace's player's collapse...i really thought they were pretty much at the same exact level at that point in time. Obviously, Mattiace has collapsed and only reinforced how terrible i felt for him after he lost.

[ QUOTE ]

Do you have a massive hard-on for Weir or something? I think you know what would of happened on 18 if the U.S needed that point.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah i'm sure tiger wasn't trying. I mean, hasn't tiger been known for not trying his entire career? it always seems like tiger just isn't giving it his all sometimes and often has lapses of concentration.

???????????????????????????????????????????/

retard.
Old 10-02-2007, 06:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i didn't know anything about mattiace's player's collapse

[/ QUOTE ]
First paragraph about his pro career on his wiki page:

[ QUOTE ]
Mattiace first gained notoriety when he surged into contention in the final round of the 1998 Players Championship. Trailing by one shot going into the par-3 17th hole, he hit his tee shot into the water, his third shot into a bunker, and his fourth shot into the water. He ended up with a quintuple-bogey 8 on the hole and finished in a tie for fifth, just four strokes behind the eventual winner Justin Leonard.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-02-2007, 07:00 PM

For the 3 minutes of this I watched this weekend, somebody called Weir's put on 16 (I think) "save the Masters, the biggest put of his career?".

Really?
Old 10-02-2007, 07:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My ligga,

BO can be kind of uh, cutting at times. Such is the nature of the internet. What's funny is he's right, you are the man.

As for the statistics posted upthread, color my surprised that in the year prior to Weir's win, Mattiace had two victories and made a lot more money. In the bigger picture he was less successful in the years prior and in 2003 (I think at least one of Weir's other wins came before the Masters). When it was coming down the stretch that day I thought of Weir as the much more accomplished player and Mattiace a journeyman pro who had the chance to become the Masters equivalent of Rich Beem or Paul Lawrie.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with your comparison of the two golfers in April, 2003. I was just throwing up some numbers for the heck of it.
Old 10-02-2007, 07:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
For the 3 minutes of this I watched this weekend, somebody called Weir's put on 16 (I think) "save the Masters, the biggest put of his career?".

Really?

[/ QUOTE ]

Johnny Miller said this and I thought "really" as well. Maybe if the Cup was still up for grabs. In the context of that moment I just didn't see it.