Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-09-2007, 01:14 PM

Default Re: MLB- The sh!t is about to hit the fan.

[ QUOTE ]
I just think we're in for a series of similar "leaks" from anonymous GM's and other personnel who are privy to the report prior to it being scrubbed of names for public consumption.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd imagine for the next few offseasons, any free agent who has an unusually low amount of interest, and/or ends up signing for less than expected will be the subject of much speculation...guilt by disassociation, if you will.
Old 11-09-2007, 01:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
As for what we know, though, in the 2003 survey testing, 6.7% of players failed tests

[/ QUOTE ]

Which makes their 40-50% estimate, to me, seem spot on, and I'm not including greenies. I'm talking about steroids, hgh, etc. 7 freaking percent failed and they knew it was coming for months, and they didn't even have tests that could detect a huge chunk of stuff. Its naive to think that given those test results that the actual number of users weren't right in the range they suggested.
Old 11-09-2007, 01:23 PM

aside:

why does baseball insist on anti-marketing?
Old 11-09-2007, 02:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]

aside:

why does baseball insist on anti-marketing?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's cheaper than doing nothing and having Congress step in and fiddle around, ie. risk the anti-trust exemption.
Old 11-09-2007, 03:01 PM

I've seen the list

Ford Frick
Bill James
Ronan Tynan
Tommy Lasorda
Roy Hobbs
Napoleon Lajoie
Van Lingle Mungo
Yakima Canutt
Old 11-09-2007, 03:11 PM

I asked Roy Hobbs about his appearance on the list. He says he was prescribed HGH to help him recover from a gunshot wound.
Old 11-09-2007, 03:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've seen the list

Ford Frick
Bill James
Ronan Tynan
Tommy Lasorda
Roy Hobbs
Napoleon Lajoie
Van Lingle Mungo
Yakima Canutt

[/ QUOTE ]

Andy,

Any truth to the rumor that Kennesaw Mountain Landis is a progenitor of Floyd Landis?
Old 11-09-2007, 04:01 PM

Deadspin is playing the guessing game too.
Old 11-09-2007, 04:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Deadspin is playing the guessing game too.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't quite understand why the various sites are guessing on which 11 free agents are going to be named...considering that is not what the union or league was referring to in regards to "11 free agents".

The union bounced the names of players they were originally notified as to the Mitchell investigation wanting to interview against the list of 160 or so potential free agents, and informed player agents that of those FA's, 11 of them were on the list that the Mitchell investigators informed the union as to having a desire to interview.

Obviously, a desire to be interviewed is not necessarily indicative of guilt...but naturally, that detail didn't factor into the press running the story incorrectly at first.

If anything, I thought the number was ridiculously low, considering you would think the Mitchell investigators would be interviewing a substantial number of players, but if this sampling proves representative as a whole, it just so happens to be right around the same 6.7% number that failed the MLB survey testing in 2003.

In fact, odds are that Mitchell is only focusing it's eyes on those that failed survey tests in 2003, and tests in 2004, as that group was previously not named considering the rules at the time were not to name players for failed tests in 2003, nor for their first failed test in 2004.

The only folks I can see getting attention aside from the that group would be those named in investigations into the mets clubbie case, the sig pharmacy case, and the grimsley report.....remember, they can't touch Balco because the records and testimony are still sealed, short of what Giambi told him regarding himself, based on his talk regarding it outside the courtroom.

And, as many of you may know, a certain Big Man that I can't mention in this thread has neither failed a test, nor has been implicated in the Met's clubbie, sig pharmacy, or Grimsley report scandals.....so me thinks a lot of folks are going to be very disappointed when the report is published.

In fact, they are going to be so disappointed, they are going to call the Mitchell Report a farce because it won't have anything on the big man.

You heard it here first.
Old 11-09-2007, 11:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I don't think Andy Pettite is on steriods. Hes 35 yrs old, its not like hes 42, I don't understand what hes done to have multiple people be suspicious of him.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fun fact:

Number of people who have testified or who have went to jail instead of testifying under oath that Bonds took steroids: at least 4 (including Bonds himself), probably more.

Number of MLB players signing affidativits claiming that Pettite took steroids to save his own butt: 1

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

[/ QUOTE ]

It's a myth that Bonds admitted taking steroids in his testimony, that has been well discussed.

Additionally, Greg testified under oath previously that he did NOT give steroids to Bonds, and Conte is on record as testifying that he gave steroids to Marion Jones, but not Barry Bonds.

But don't let those facts get in the way of your assumptions. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

WRONG!

(1) Kimberley Bell testified that Bonds told her that he was using steroids.

(2) Conte may not have told the grand jury himself, but he certainly told another athlete that testified who saw the steroids at balco.

(3) Gary Sheffiled testified he took the Clear and Cream at Bonds direction.

(4) Bonds testified to using these substances too. The fact that Sheffield and Bonds claimed to not know what was in them does not change the fact that they were steroids.

And there are the recordings of Anderson acknowledging that Bonds was taking an undetectable performance-enhancing drug

And Anderson's written records show that Bonds was taking these substances.

And Jim Valente told government agents that Bonds came to BALCO looking for undetectable perfomance-enhancing drugs. Conte said the same thing (although later backed away from these first statements -- original statements ring far truer).

Bonds may claim he didn't know what he was taking... and you can believe him. No one else who is at all impartial does.

I will leave it there and ignore the Beanster from here on because I know he will try to twist and turn his way out of it. There are far more interesting matters to debate. This matter is closed to any sane person.