FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-26-2007, 02:26 PM

Default Re: PSA: Discovery Channel Special Begins Tonight

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
OMG is Sigourney Weaver narrating?

[/ QUOTE ]

Haven't watched it yet, but why do documentary people use "stars" to do voice overs. It's distracing. I felt the same way about Morgan Freeman and March of the Penguins. I kept picturing the movie Seven instead of the penguins. They should just use the generic, deep voiced guys who do the movie trailers.

[/ QUOTE ]

They have even less faith in the american audience than OOT, which is really sad. Same thing goes for Cartoon movies now. Big stars are putting quality voice actors out of buisness (or at least bumping them down a few notches). What are the kids into these day...? MORGAN FREEMAN! So when they advertize that a big star is doing the narration, more people might watch.

Sigourney, however, was a horrible choice. Plus, anybody that's interested in this stuff has heard Attenboroughs voice, even if they never heard of him.

[/ QUOTE ]

Funny that this response came from the person whose username is the best voiceover actor of all time.
Old 03-26-2007, 02:59 PM

yeah this show is sick on HD.
Old 03-28-2007, 07:26 PM

i haven't caught any of these episodes on discoveryHD, but i have seen all of the bbc eps not narrated by Weaver.

my question is, in the weaver-versions, when they are listing the size/height of something, do you use the metric system as they do in the bbc eps, or is it converted?
Old 03-29-2007, 06:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
yeah this show is sick on HD.

[/ QUOTE ]

This show is unbelievable. I've had the first 5 episodes on DVR since they aired (the last 2 this past Sunday I guess?) and I just finished a 5 hour marathon. Once I watched the first one I couldn't stop and had to watch all the rest. The "Making Of..." is insane, it's unreal what these guys had to do to get some of these shots!

Also, the snow leopard scene was probably one of the most badass things I've ever seen. Insane that something that large can move like that. The only bad part about this show is that I'm going to be out of town this weekend when the new episodes air so I'll have to tape/watch them late again. This more than anything else I've seen has made me glad I got an HDTV (not huge, just 32" but I have a small place and sit 6' away from it, so it's a fairly theatrical effect to me)... now if Time Warner would only give me the Mets games in HD...
Old 03-29-2007, 06:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I was wondering last night after watching this if the makers of this will ever be able to make their money back?

I don't know a ton about sponsorship, commercial air time and how many DVDs they have to sell, but it seems like it could almost never be enough. They took over 4 years to fill all of this and many many people must have been paid to do work, plus all of it was filmed in HD. Thinking about it, I was just wondering how much money that would all take. It seems enormous.

Anyone know how they afford to do this in the first place and then how they make most of the money back?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's a BBC production, which is governement funded broadcasting. They don't need to make their money back. Although any money they get from DVD/foreign licencing is obviously a bonus.
Old 04-02-2007, 01:32 PM

the polar bear footage from last nights Ice Worlds episode was pretty amazing. Was kind of depressing that it freaking died at the end...
Old 04-02-2007, 03:33 PM

the Discovery HD broadcast is amazing - and with only one commercial break, too. The making of parts are incredible.

The super slo-mo shark footage has to be the most breathtaking nature stuff I've ever seen.

And what the hell is up with that vampire squid? Holy crap!

and those birds doing the dance...fantastic.
Old 04-02-2007, 03:43 PM

hopefully the u.s. dvd's will contain a lot more footage of how everything was filmed. i really wish there was another hour after each episode documenting how everything was shot.
Old 04-02-2007, 03:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
hopefully the u.s. dvd's will contain a lot more footage of how everything was filmed. i really wish there was another hour after each episode documenting how everything was shot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah I really really hope so too. The little bits at the end where the producers talked about the making of it were some of my favorite parts. What they did was pretty hardcore. A DVD box with a lot of extra features which were too long to air has a lot of potential.
Old 04-02-2007, 04:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
the polar bear footage from last nights Ice Worlds episode was pretty amazing. Was kind of depressing that it freaking died at the end...

[/ QUOTE ]

spoilers in white, [censored]! [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

also, there is a planet earth movie coming out this year or next year