Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-21-2007, 02:41 AM

Default Re: how long before PS UB and FT drop?

[ QUOTE ]
This may have been said before, but I really don't understand how Doyle's situation can be compared to FT, Stars and UB. Doyle;s was a skin site on the Tribeca network, and was told by Tribeca that they could stay open for another few months. Tribeca then screwed them and said Feb. 28, leaving Doyle's no time to get their own network set up.

How is that situation at all similar to the other 3 that all have their own software and own network? Doyles was forced into a very difficult situation, the other 3 have complete autonomy, how can Doyle's be used as an indicator? Maybe I'm missing something, but this makes no sense.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why has Doyle's room waited since Oct 13th to find a new skin or purchase software? Its not like the did not know Tribeca was going to let them loose. So its a few month early.

Pokerstars knew that 270 days past Oct 13th, Neteller was going to stopp allowing US transactions. Yes Neteller was suppose to give a 90 day notice, but Stars should of been looking for a new processor on Oct 14th so their would be no interuption of service. Its been 30 days since Neteller has gone down and the Best Stars can do is offer a service that will charge 2.5% incoming and outgoing to the poerksite, $4.00 per ATM withdrawl and a $3.00 montly fee? This is what we need to be excited for?
Old 02-21-2007, 03:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
My bottom line for this discussion is that predictions and even plans for this short term a period are mostly not necessary, again given the caveat I made earlier, as we will know in a period of months what will be what.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this really sums up your entire point of view pretty well. People who can't pay their taxes because their money is caught up at Neteller or stuck on Full Tilt might disagree that people shouldn't have some sort of short term plans. See, your unending optimism has effects. People who came here back in Oct, Nov, and Dec and read all the optimistic posts about how the government could never stop online gaming and that nothing was going to change got royally screwed. But instead of being apologetic about it, you're still pumping out the same lines. The real difference between you and I though is that the worst that might happen to someone who listens to what I say and follows my advice is that they might feel a little depressed about the future of the game.
Old 02-21-2007, 03:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
On Oct 19th, they said they'd comply and leave within the 270 days. So Neteller leaving wasn't a surprise, just when they did it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Jack,

The problem is that for many people it was a surprise. Despite Neteller getting slapped by their bank for thumbing their nose at the US law and coming back and saying that they would comply with the law, all the glass half full folks were spreading rumors about how Neteller was just going to find another bank or cook up some new scheme to get around the law.
Old 02-21-2007, 03:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Off-topic a bit - but does anyone remember Napster?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the biggest difference is that Napster offered IP for free. The UIGEA specifically acts to stop the transfer of funds used to wager. Party Poker is still open to US players who want to play for play money. If the desire to play were the only criteria being used then nothing changed in the online poker world. But since governments have traditionally had a very keen interest in the banking systems for as long as they've been around, stopping payments is a lot easier than stopping Johnny from downloading some music file over the internet.
Old 02-21-2007, 04:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
My bottom line for this discussion is that predictions and even plans for this short term a period are mostly not necessary, again given the caveat I made earlier, as we will know in a period of months what will be what.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this really sums up your entire point of view pretty well. People who can't pay their taxes because their money is caught up at Neteller or stuck on Full Tilt might disagree that people shouldn't have some sort of short term plans. See, your unending optimism has effects. People who came here back in Oct, Nov, and Dec and read all the optimistic posts about how the government could never stop online gaming and that nothing was going to change got royally screwed. But instead of being apologetic about it, you're still pumping out the same lines. The real difference between you and I though is that the worst that might happen to someone who listens to what I say and follows my advice is that they might feel a little depressed about the future of the game.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bill,

You are mischaracterizing my position (intentionally so for some reason?), as I have never been "unendingly optimisitic. You are trying to equate glass half-full with glass full and that's dishonest.

Anyone would be prudent indeed to guard their money and keep as little on any one site or payment processor as possible to play a given stakes. And as I said earlier in this thread, to have a backup job plan if they both play fulltime and also have no savings.

I don't have a problem with anyone who wants to act on a prediction of the worst case scenario, so long as they don't use that prediction along with a false claim of short term urgency, to ignore the problems with the PPA. Unlike others here I'm not worried about "scaring the fish". I'm just saying it's far from certain the worst case scenario will transpire, and since we will know in months and not years if it will come about, then a lot of speculation is pointless, though again prudence is warranted in guarding one's roll and keeping one's options open.
Old 02-21-2007, 04:53 AM

Bluff,

My first draft of that response carried several instances of you doing exactly the same to me but I decided to just allow your own words speak for themselves.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What part of "predictions and even plans for this short term a period are mostly not necessary" am I taking out of context. Your previous caveats where for pro players.

Bill
Old 02-21-2007, 04:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
all the glass half full folks were spreading rumors about how Neteller was just going to find another bank or cook up some new scheme to get around the law.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bill, you've just been reading the wrong threads...
Old 02-21-2007, 05:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Your previous caveats where for pro players.

[/ QUOTE ]

Or for part-time pros. And those two classes of posters/readers are most of the audience we are adressing here.
Old 02-21-2007, 05:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Your previous caveats where for pro players.

[/ QUOTE ]

Or for part-time pros. And those two classes of posters/readers are most of the audience we are adressing here.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can all but guarantee that 2+2 is not mostly pros and part time pros. The level of questions that get asked and the infrequent polls asking who's a pro or not should give sufficient evidence of this.
Old 02-21-2007, 05:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Bill, you've just been reading the wrong threads...

[/ QUOTE ]

hanging out with the wrong crowd . . . making bad choices . . . .I'm used to not being right [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]