Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-06-2007, 03:37 PM

Default Re: sbrugby

sbrugby;s blog is extremely modest and honest, dont know how you could criticize him of being arrogant, at least not from the blog.
Old 04-06-2007, 03:47 PM

Pretty much anyone who plays cash games at that level and is a consistent winner is going to consider himself the best player in the World.

Why, because the player is so good that it's arguable he is the best player in the World. Is someone like Ivey better? Certainly could be, but both are such outstanding players that the comparison is almost meaningless.

You have to have a confidence that appears as ego if you are betting hundreds of thousands per hand.
Old 04-06-2007, 04:10 PM

I think almost every pokerplayer thinks he's the best or better than most of the other players at his limit or else there would be no point in playing. Aba just happens to play at the highest limits in the world so it's not shocking for him to think he's the best player in the world.
Old 04-06-2007, 04:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
here are the facts:

he is a great NL player (online poker obv.) he can probably crush alot of very good LIVE players online, and im sure he has.

he is at best an amateur live player with alot of $$, yet his success in online play tells his ego that he is just as good if not better then live players. which is incorrect imo, he plays bad in HSP and gives away alot of tells, just look at how he covers his mouth every hand, its like he is playing poker for the first time. but im not hating on the dude, he will learn, he has the money and is obv. smart and talented young guy. just as for now, he is probably considered a fish in the game to the other players. as in other circumstances the great live players may be considered fish in an online environment.

[/ QUOTE ]

This pretty much nails it right here. Except I don't agree on that "live amatuer" statement. I'd simply say he is an inexperienced live player. But Brian is a pretty determined guy and you will see this change. You get a small sense of this from watching his CR videos. You get to see how much effort he puts in outside of playing to analyze his online play. I'm sure he is watching his play on HSP to analyze his live game play as well. I am sure he realizes online play image and his image on the felt are two related but different things. Hopefully, he will be in HSP next year and it will be like night and day. I am sure Brian is reading this thread. So I will go on and say, he looked like a fish out of water on the green felt. Which isn't to say he is a fish, just out of his element. But then again, who is to say that wasn't the psychology Brian didn't purposefully take into that game. Brian would be smart enough to know this isn't a slight to him, but critique of his live play.

But the fact of the matter is, that while true, it is ego and can come off a bit arrogant it is a statement about the faith he has in his game and what he has done to put himself in the position. After all, it is just his blog and his opinion expressed in his blog of his game. People forget that blogs aren't the same as message boards. Had he said that here, well then it is right to call him out. But it wasn't expressed here. There are only about 7-10 players in the world that can even give credible arguments going the other way. Everyone else is just a hater or a fanboy (depending on what side of the fence you are on). Clearly at the moment, he is biggest online winner. Hard to argue results.
Old 04-06-2007, 04:55 PM

I'm pretty sure the only person here who knows enough about aba's game to comment already has, so the only thing we can conlude is the following.

Sponger > aba.
Old 04-06-2007, 05:12 PM

Am I the only one that things aba played fairly well on HSP? He seemed to sort of run into people who got hit w the deck (Like the hand against Wasicka where Wasicka totally raised himself out of value, I think it was like two pair to Aba's higher ace). It's such a small sample size some people are going to come off a lot better than they really are, and some people won't (Antonio kind of got a bad deck in one of the first two seasons, I don't recall which).

Needless to say, this is like comparing John Salley to Michael Jordan when you should be comparing Magic to him...
Old 04-06-2007, 05:27 PM

I agree, I think Aba has played well, though I'm not exactly a regular 300/600 NL player, so my opinion is basically worthless.
Old 04-06-2007, 06:47 PM

I read Brian's blog daily. I think he is very open and honest.

If it comes off a arrogant that's fine. I respect and appreciate honesty over humbleness. (Is that a word? [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img])

Brian, don't change a thing about your blog!

---------Meow
Old 04-06-2007, 06:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Sponger > aba.

[/ QUOTE ]

sponger for god.

Regards,
Woodguy
Old 04-06-2007, 07:14 PM

more quality NVG