Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Community
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-09-2007, 04:35 PM

Default Re: Gentleman, give it to me straight, do you think the sky is falling

Jurollo, UCLA, Registrar, anyone else making claims about who is fueling the poker boom:

What do you really know about this? You are all smart guys, but it sounds to me like you're just expressing your opinion or your wistful thinking about what the poker industry looks like. Are any of you aware of any literature or data that attempts to quantify or ground in fact the demography of the online poker industry? Between what we win and what the sites rake, we know that a LOT of money is being lost. Why is so little known (not guessed) about who is losing that money?

My guess is that it's a combination of factors: the industry and profession of online poker are young, the game has always been quasi-legal (at least in the US), some portion of the player base prefers discretion, etc. I wouldn't be surprised if one reason were that the data is not entirely flattering or what we would like to think about who is losing money.

Obviously Nike can tell you who buys their shoes and in what quantities, Marlboro can tell you who buys their cigarettes, etc. For better or worse, I think there ought to be some effort to gatehr this data, and if the sites already have it, there ought to be some effort to have it made public.

I'm a registered Libertarian, and even I don't think the State is without the right to regulate or even prohibit online poker. But I do think that it ought to be done in a more public and deliberate manner, and getting the facts out about who is playing and who is losing will be an important part of that process.
Old 02-09-2007, 04:42 PM

Good post Foucault.

If you're going mount a campaign to save online poker in the US, then you need this data.
Old 02-09-2007, 05:00 PM

Foucalt always enjoy your posts but i think you are way off here.

The state can't monitor every potentially dangerous activity. Do you want them to monitor how much alcohol someone is drinking at a bar? speeding is dangerous.

yeah there are probably a few college aged kids and maybe even younger who have gotten into a bit of trouble over online poker but im sure its less than drinking, etc.

I just think you are taking it from the wrong prospective. Online poker is not inherently dangerous, hence, there is no reason to ban it. Yeah, they probably could do more to stop kids from playing if were regulated but that is about the only positive thing governemnt could do.

Ok rereading your post if all you are saying is there should be a demographic study and maybe mandating lower rakes that is not a bad thing. Not knowing much about it the industry i think the online companies have profited way beyond the service they are providing. In fairness i dont know the online's companies true expenses and Pokerstars is certainly a well run company and i dont mind them profiting for providing a good service.
Old 02-09-2007, 05:01 PM

Foucault, I don't know anything. There, you can stop reading what I think now.
Old 02-09-2007, 05:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Obviously Nike can tell you who buys their shoes and in what quantities, Marlboro can tell you who buys their cigarettes, etc. For better or worse, I think there ought to be some effort to gatehr this data, and if the sites already have it, there ought to be some effort to have it made public.

[/ QUOTE ]
I've never filled out any info when buying cigarettes or shoes, and I'm a big believer in using cash for as many transactions as possible. So how does Nike know who's buying their product?
Thru advertising & measuring the effects on their business. It's still guesswork, to a degree. The poker sites have compiled the same data in the same fashion as Nike, rest assured.
Why would any company in a competive market release data they've spent money aquiring?
Old 02-09-2007, 05:21 PM

Default Re: Gentleman, give it to me straight, do you think the sky is falling?

Alli know was that the $3 rebuy (AKA low-limit fish mecca) about 3 weeks ago had 3300 people, then a week later @2700, then i played a night or two ago with 2400 entrants. Disheartening.
Old 02-09-2007, 05:28 PM

i'd say the sky is falling for sure because i can't stop cashing and final tabling tournaments
Old 02-09-2007, 05:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Alli know was that the $3 rebuy (AKA low-limit fish mecca) about 3 weeks ago had 3300 people, then a week later @2700, then i played a night or two ago with 2400 entrants. Disheartening.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah.

I play the 55 6-max every night.

A month ago, it was getting 240 every night.

Now 150 every night.

Depressing indeed.
Old 02-09-2007, 05:44 PM

a temporary drop in #s has to be expected; but by no means is it the same as the sky falling. I want to try and calm all you guys down; but at the same time.. go for it. go back to your jobs, go back to school people. I'm gonna sit here in my boxers, working 10 hours a week, playing my TAG style, moping up.

edit:

and can brandan adams manage money at all? maybe the wsop breaks bankrolls because PEOPLE ARE STUPID. EVEN PRO's. AND TAHTS WHY SMART GUYS HAVE NOTHIN TO WORRY ABOUT.
Old 02-09-2007, 05:47 PM

Bob,
You came out of nowhere with posting in MTTC but are becoming one of my favorite posters. That is all.
~Justin