Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-07-2007, 01:39 AM

Default Re: Fall \'07 Movie Thread

[ QUOTE ]

Saw Eastern Promises last night - very good, though surprisingly slow paced. Viggo was great and a nice little twist. Some serious gore and graphic scenes.

[/ QUOTE ]

I also saw it lastnight at the arclight. I loved basically everything about this movie, including the pace. It looks like the critics love it too http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/eastern_promises/

Mortensen is really impressive in this. Really, everyone is great. The guy who played Kirill was so shocking and raw in parts of the movie. I liked how Naomi Watts was apparently out of make up for most of the movie, and let herself look like a real human being. Even the fighting was authentic. I believe the main fighting scene has sambo in it, which is an authentic russian martial art. It's what Fedor Emelianenko uses to crush his opponents.
Old 10-07-2007, 09:52 AM

Yesterday I took my 10 y/o son to The Game Plan with Dewayne "The Rock" Johnson and was pleasantly surprised. But I guess it was exactly what you should expect in a good way. I mean it's not going to win any awards but I've taken my son to many MANY movies and I've seen some pretty bad ones.

This one pulled on the emotional strings almost too much though. But I'm a pretty emotional person.

I don't think this is a movie anyone above the age of 15 would really just love unless they were taking someone young so you can enjoy them enjoying the movie.
Old 10-07-2007, 11:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm surprised that "Gone Baby Gone" hasn't been mentioned in this thread? Is there a reason that I'm unaware? It's from the guy who wrote the novel for Mystic River and apparently is getting great feedback so far. Stars Casey Affleck in a starring role (or so the trailers lead me to believe).

No one else interested in this one?

[/ QUOTE ]

From the previeews, it looks like it could be good, whats funny is that it is directed by Ben Affleck and it looks like they are going out of there way not to advertise the fact.
Old 10-07-2007, 01:10 PM

a must see is Into the Wild. best movie i've seen in a long time. sean penn directed it, everything about it is great.

also recently saw and loved king of kong documentary.

saw the darjeeling limited. wes anderson fans will like it. you either like his style or you dont. i do.
Old 10-07-2007, 05:43 PM

I can't comment on Into the Wild because I haven't seen it. But I would view someone like the main character as being spoiled, pretentious and selfish. (assuming they didn't come from an abusive home or w/e.)There are millions of people in third world countries that struggle every day in hopes of one day maybe having half of the things that many of these disillusioned "nomads" have in their lives. Yet we will never hear of most of their stories. One of my professors had his whole family massacred when he was a child in Rwanda. He made his way to the U.S., got a phd in linguistics and ethnic studies, got married etc. Unfortunately no one will probably ever write a book about his plight. More often than not we'll see books/movies that come out romanticizing the course that the Into the Wild character took instead.
Old 10-07-2007, 07:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I can't comment on Into the Wild because I haven't seen it. But I would view someone like the main character as being spoiled, pretentious and selfish. (assuming they didn't come from an abusive home or w/e.)There are millions of people in third world countries that struggle every day in hopes of one day maybe having half of the things that many of these disillusioned "nomads" have in their lives. Yet we will never hear of most of their stories. One of my professors had his whole family massacred when he was a child in Rwanda. He made his way to the U.S., got a phd in linguistics and ethnic studies, got married etc. Unfortunately no one will probably ever write a book about his plight. More often than not we'll see books/movies that come out romanticizing the course that the Into the Wild character took instead.

[/ QUOTE ]

u def wont like it...sean penn takes the character and turns him into a messiah like character. even has him appear in a jesus on the cross type pose in the film
Old 10-07-2007, 07:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

A) I haven't seen it either.
B) I just watched the trailer for the first time and it did seem that his home may have been abusive. Someone asks Emil what his parents are doing and he says "living their life" and then they show what appears to be a flashback of Emil as a toddler hiding behind a doorway watching his father violently shove his mother. I think.
C) Yea a lot of people have been in worse circumstances than him, but calling him pretentious and spoiled because of this is unfair imo. At the beginning of the trailer he tries not to accept a new car from his father because he doesn't NEED a new one. That seems pretty unspoiled to me. Although leaving your family etc. without letting them know and all that is obviously selfish. But sometimes you gotta look out for yourself first.

Anyways, my interest is piqued and I will probably see this soon. I still need to see Eastern Promises and The Kingdom.
Old 10-07-2007, 07:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

funny that you say spoiled and pretentious, because he is the exact opposite.
Old 10-07-2007, 07:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

u def wont like it...sean penn takes the character and turns him into a messiah like character. even has him appear in a jesus on the cross type pose in the film

[/ QUOTE ]

i do agree with that. that's the only thing i can find fault with in the film. it is still a fantastic film though IMO.
Old 10-07-2007, 08:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why is the assumption that achieving a doctorate from an American university, getting married, etc. the best way of life? Assuming this person could have lived a life in his home country w/o his family's death, is the American way of life really so much better than his?