Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 10-11-2007, 09:50 PM

Default Re: Here\'s exactly why that article was stupid

Main Entry: en·er·gy
Pronunciation: 'en-&r-jE
Function: noun
Inflected Form: plural -gies
1 : the force driving and sustaining mental activity <in psychoanalytic theory the source of psychic energy is the id>
2 : the capacity for doing work
Merriam-Webster's Medical Dictionary, © 2002 Merriam-Webster, Inc.

Thoughts, speaking, writing are all forms of energy.
Old 10-11-2007, 09:57 PM

a thought is not "the force driving and sustaining mental activity."

a thought is not "the capacity for doing work."
Old 10-11-2007, 10:15 PM

Can anything be done before the thought of it being done?
Old 10-11-2007, 10:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Waking up?
Old 10-11-2007, 10:25 PM

LOL what about subconscious thoughts?
Old 10-11-2007, 10:28 PM

[img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
I was seriously trying to answer your question. I've been doggedly following this thread, but I just dont understand what you're actually advocating. It seems to me you switch between different uses of the word energy (amongst others). What I mean is, the fact that energy has two definitions in the dictionary doesnt mean that those two concepts are the same thing.
Old 10-12-2007, 12:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

it sort of looks like you're trying to argue that a thought is "the capacity for doing work" and therefore, a thought is energy.
Old 10-12-2007, 03:39 AM

OP,

Stop me when this sounds familiar.

[ QUOTE ]
Pseudoscientists invent their own vocabulary in which many terms lack precise or unambiguous definitions, and some have no definition at all.
Listeners are often forced to interpret the statements according to their own preconceptions. What, for for example, is "biocosmic energy?" Pseudoscientists often attempt to imitate the jargon of scientific and technical fields by spouting gibberish that sounds scientific and technical. Quack "healers" would be lost without the term "energy," but their use of the term has nothing whatsoever to do with the concept of energy used by physicists.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
How to Spot Pseudoscience

4. Is the claim based on the existence of an unknown form of "energy" or other paranormal phenomenon?
Loose, meaningless usage of a scientific-sounding word like "energy" is one of the most common red flags you'll see on popular pseudoscience. Terms like energy fields, negative energy, chi, orgone, aura, psi, and trans-dimensional energy are utterly meaningless in any scientific context. Approach with extreme caution.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Phrases such as "energy vibrations" or "subtle energy fields" may sound impressive, but they are essentially meaningless.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
The term "pseudoscience", as used here, defines an area of study that resembles science and uses scientific jargon (e.g. wave, energy, focus, alignment) but does not utilize the scientific method. Often, the area of study has underlying unprovable or provably fallacious foundations, which would proclude serious scientific study (i.e. bad science). This doesn't stop the credulous, of course.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-12-2007, 03:59 AM

Default You are mixing superstrings with philosophy.....

.... and spewing the most incredible nonsense. Please understand the physics of which you speak before attempting to derive meaning from it.

And DON'T mix it with philosophy and then claim to have the truth. That old trick has been used for ages, and is as wrong now as it has always been.
Old 10-12-2007, 09:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
OP,

Stop me when this sounds familiar.

[ QUOTE ]
Pseudoscientists invent their own vocabulary in which many terms lack precise or unambiguous definitions, and some have no definition at all.
Listeners are often forced to interpret the statements according to their own preconceptions. What, for for example, is "biocosmic energy?" Pseudoscientists often attempt to imitate the jargon of scientific and technical fields by spouting gibberish that sounds scientific and technical. Quack "healers" would be lost without the term "energy," but their use of the term has nothing whatsoever to do with the concept of energy used by physicists.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
How to Spot Pseudoscience

4. Is the claim based on the existence of an unknown form of "energy" or other paranormal phenomenon?
Loose, meaningless usage of a scientific-sounding word like "energy" is one of the most common red flags you'll see on popular pseudoscience. Terms like energy fields, negative energy, chi, orgone, aura, psi, and trans-dimensional energy are utterly meaningless in any scientific context. Approach with extreme caution.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Phrases such as "energy vibrations" or "subtle energy fields" may sound impressive, but they are essentially meaningless.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
The term "pseudoscience", as used here, defines an area of study that resembles science and uses scientific jargon (e.g. wave, energy, focus, alignment) but does not utilize the scientific method. Often, the area of study has underlying unprovable or provably fallacious foundations, which would proclude serious scientific study (i.e. bad science). This doesn't stop the credulous, of course.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

A classic! I hope this gets copied/quoted many times in reply as those posts when obfuscation takes place!

+++
Closed Thread