Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-03-2006, 01:25 AM

Default Re: The refs have drastically favored the Heat so far.

Charlie,

My computer screwed up last night and wasn't working this morning and I just got back from the park. All year long the haters called Dallas a one trick offense only team and I gave them the numbers to prove them wrong in many threads, b/c they weren't watching the games and weren't seeing a completely facelifted team defensively. They had become a defensive first team, this has been emphasize all year long and no matter how much I tried to tell and show nobody believed and I was just greeted with, "they are going to win 60 games and lose to SA in the second round." So I figured if they went deep into the playoffs or even won the damn thing that then maybe everyone would realize that the team is for real, and is a top team in the league. But after this thread I realize that it will never be what the Mavericks do that is so great to win games but what the opposing teams DIDN'T do that ALLOWED them to win.

This line of thinking is very evident and that is fine, I hope Dallas racks up great season after great season and eventually, maybe one day you and some others may finally wake up and realize that they are deeper and quicker and more balanced than SA. That they are more versatile than just about any team, that they can quicken the pace as well as slow the game down and play a great half court game as well. I also find it funny that you have a team that won 8 less games in a weaker conference and weaker division ahead of Dallas in your goofy rankings and was boat raced both times they played them(the Heat). This HAS to be a homer pick, b/c it doesn't make any sense.

You keep bringing up very nitty points about the Spurs series, like blowing a 20 point lead...yeah well when you get two free throws each time down the court from offensive initiated contact it is pretty easy to come back, so give me a break. Hell, I was only like a minute and a half off in calling what time they would end up coming back, it was very obvious. Why don't you talk about the fact that after they got completely screwed all game they didn't complain, bitch or moan (like SA would) and instead kept their cool (Avery is the man) and played a great 4th quarter in foul trouble and with some key guys fouled out and then won in overtime with three players fouled out. What about that? See if SA did that it would be "the mark of a great team" but since Dallas "let" them come back they are a marginally good team and SA is better. Funny stuff.

The next thing I would like to say is that if you think I was angry (you said I had anger in my post?) then you are really far off, b/c in case you were under a rock Dallas had just got through thumping PHO and that made me very very happy. I also don't know why you are so thick-headed about issues that not only I but everyone seem to understand, I am not just some homer that is blind about Dallas, Tuq and I are very friendly about the PHO/Dal series and I am realistic about Dallas, hell I didn't even pick them to win it all--I picked Detroit, so much for that. So if you think I am angry then you are wrong and if you think I am just some homer then you are way wrong b/c I am very realistic person, I don't have that Yankee attitude! Sure, I want my team to win more than anything, but if you check, I am never viscious or cruel or attack posters who are fans of the other team b/c that is just ridiculous IMO.

take care,

~td
Old 06-03-2006, 03:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I agree with Dms that the Pistons are the better team, but everyone else is right, all that matters is who shows up when it counts. The Heat showed up, and played well, and the Pistons most definitely did not play well. Oh well, always next year.

[/ QUOTE ]

They are not the better team, they lost in a 7 game series. This was not a one game deal like football. They had 6 games to show that they were the better team and they didnt. The Miami Heat is the better team end of story. I cant believe that after a team loses in a 7 game series some people are actually stupid enough to argue that the losing team was the better team.

[/ QUOTE ]

jorge,

i disagree. they lost in 6 games.
Old 06-03-2006, 07:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I agree with Dms that the Pistons are the better team, but everyone else is right, all that matters is who shows up when it counts. The Heat showed up, and played well, and the Pistons most definitely did not play well. Oh well, always next year.

[/ QUOTE ]

They are not the better team, they lost in a 7 game series. This was not a one game deal like football. They had 6 games to show that they were the better team and they didnt. The Miami Heat is the better team end of story. I cant believe that after a team loses in a 7 game series some people are actually stupid enough to argue that the losing team was the better team.

[/ QUOTE ]

if they lost to the Cavs would the Cavs be a better team?
Old 06-03-2006, 08:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
if they lost to the Cavs would the Cavs be a better team?

[/ QUOTE ]

Remember this:

Dallas: 29-12
Detroit: 28-13
Miami: 28-13
Phoenix: 28-13

Well, Cleveland: 26-15

So yeah, maybe in 2006, Cleveland is better than Detroit.

Also, for those calling D-Wade a bitch, what does that make Rasheed and his series-long "injury"?
Old 06-03-2006, 11:28 AM

All that really matters are the results. In my opinion, Miami was the better team this year. They had a worse record during the regular season, but this is due to having to adjust to a new lineup. Making it even more difficult for the new lineup to gel, was Shaq being injured. It takes time for new lineups to play well together and Miami just happen to gel at the right time toward the end of the season.

I also believe that Miami was the team better last year. They were up 3-2 in the series, but Shaq was playing injured and Wade missed game 6 and was also playing injured in game 7. Despite that, they were still about a minute from the finals.

Yet somehow, everyone seems to think that Detroit is above and beyond better than the Heat.

That said, the Heat did not get it done last year and Detroit won and that is all that matters, but the Heat got it done this year.
Old 06-03-2006, 01:38 PM

So 6 games definitely show that Miami was better, but 82 freaking games are inconclusive about Detroit?

I really hate the fetishization of the playoffs.
Old 06-03-2006, 01:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So 6 games definitely show that Miami was better, but 82 freaking games are inconclusive about Detroit?

I really hate the fetishization of the playoffs.

[/ QUOTE ]

WTF are you smoking? The regular season is fine and all, but no one cares who had great regular seasons. Teams are defined by how they win in the postseason. Players are defined by that as well.

All you idiots going on and on about how Detroit is the best team...I mean, are you serious? It was pretty clear that Miami "brought it" and Detroit did not. The Pistons have no chance at hoisting the trophy this year.

I think on paper, Detroit is a better team, but part of what defines a team is how they play in crunch time, or in high pressure situations like the playoffs where you can be eliminated.

Miami was better this postseason. I'll take that over being best at the regular season any day.
Old 06-03-2006, 01:51 PM

i know the pistons/heat talk is still hot - but i wanted to come in and say that i am wearing my suns tie today - and am looking forward to tonight, in what (hopefully) won't be the last game of the season for them.

would be nice to see them win at home...also would be nice if Dirk has a point total under 50. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

and in closing - if someone's going to beat us - just let it be Terry.
Old 06-03-2006, 02:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think on paper, Detroit is a better team, but part of what defines a team is how they play in crunch time, or in high pressure situations like the playoffs where you can be eliminated.

[/ QUOTE ]

this detroit team won one title and took the spurs to 7 games, let's see how the heat does in "crunch time" before we start even considering saying the heat are the better team.
They were better in one series where the Pistons were playing like absolute [censored], nice [censored] accomplishment.
Old 06-03-2006, 03:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The regular season is fine and all, but no one cares who had great regular seasons. Teams are defined by how they win in the postseason. Players are defined by that as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly my point. Fetishization.

[ QUOTE ]
The Pistons have no chance at hoisting the trophy this year.

[/ QUOTE ]

Given that they were eliminated from the playoffs yesterday, that's probably a pretty safe assumption.

Detroit was and is the better team, but Miami played better in the last 6 games. I don't see why that's such a difficult concept people have been arguing about it for like a page and a half now.