Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Two Plus Two > Special Sklansky Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-20-2006, 09:32 PM

Default Re: End game and the Derren Brown Kung Fu punch (clip)

traditional goju ryu:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXY4FgKlLok
Old 12-20-2006, 10:32 PM

My eyes! My eyes!

For god sakes Colm, put a warning on some of those clips. That first one in particular.

I feel nauseous.

Best,
Z.
Old 12-21-2006, 01:54 PM

How much would you be willing to pay (in a pay per view) to see a fight between whomever is considered at the top of the heavyweight class in boxing (I suppose that's Wladimir Klitschko right now, you may think otherwise), and whomever is at the top of the UFC heavies?
Old 12-21-2006, 03:00 PM

I would pay the PPV cost. Well maybe I would. The boxer would get killed. Clinch, take down, pound out, or submission. It's really a lot easier for a top MMA'r than you think.
Old 12-22-2006, 12:16 AM

Default Re: New Fight Question

MMA fighter...easy

asian martial arts?? like...muai thai?

If so...i'll take him 2nd

So...

Ultimate fighter
Asian Martial Artist
Street fighter
Boxer
Navy Seal

How often do navy seals actually fight?? probably rarely.
Old 12-22-2006, 02:03 AM

I'm only halfway through, and do not consider this my reply, but this:

UFC Champion: 45%
Martial artist:35%
Boxer: 10%
Streetfighter: 6%
Navy seal: 4%

is the most laughable thing I have ever seen.
Old 12-22-2006, 02:10 AM

So far we have a thread dominated by people saying that a mixed martial artist will win a fight with no rules against anyone in the world. The argument for this has been that most MMA competitions are won by MMA practitioners. This is a horribly flawed 'argument', and I doubt it has a chance to convince anyone who's not already an MMA fan. It's only somewhat less absurd of an argument than saying that a world class boxer will beat an MMAer in a boxing match, therefore he's the better fighter.

If you want to say that someone with a balanced skill set has an advantage over someone with only a specialization in a narrow field, that's fine. This, however does nothing to clarify the distinction between someone who practices Mixed Martial Arts and someone who practices Traditional Martial Arts. Like only the MMA guy knows how to grapple? Not true. Like only the TMA guy knows how to kick? Not true. So what's the difference? One guy's asian and the other's brazillian? There's so much dogma flying around on either side, it's easy to get caught up, but the truth is the guy who's stuck in his dogmatic ways doesn't stand a chance against someone who thinks outside the box. If you think no one in MMA follows dogma and everyone in TMA does, you're mistaken.

Sport fighting has rules, and real fighting doesn't. It's that simple. It's so obvious that the guy who has the better overall understanding of ways that a human body can cause damage to another human body and ways of preventing said damage, who has spent more time thinking about and practicing such methods, who knows when to check-raise, slowplay... oh, that's poker. Same difference. The best guy wins. Most of the time.
Old 12-22-2006, 02:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Bare Handed
90% UFC MMA
10% seal
0% other

[/ QUOTE ]
lol
Old 12-22-2006, 02:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Sport fighting has rules, and real fighting doesn't. It's that simple.

[/ QUOTE ]
So do dojo's and sparring competitions. TMA practicioners don't actually fight for real when they practice.

I think the OP might have been better off asking which "style" would be best in a fight because the best fighter's style might not be the reason he wins.
Old 12-22-2006, 03:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
So do dojo's and sparring competitions. TMA practicioners don't actually fight for real when they practice.

[/ QUOTE ]

Absolutely. And as such, I think sparring competition and how one 'looks' in a dojo are mostly useless in deciding who's a better fighter. Such things are simply elements of practice, as are MMA competitions. The most important thing in TMA though, is training your mind to prepare your body to perform such techniques at full speed and without hesitation. A lot of traditional martial artists get into actual fights, though, specifically to 'practice' their techniques in a real situation. I'm sure plenty of MMAers do this as well, and I know for a fact that soldiers are constantly brawling. Now, you may say that such practices are outside the general philosophy of modern martial arts, but it's certainly part of the way of the warrior, dating back anyone cares to look. When he was concerned that I was spending too much time thinking about free fighting, my teacher actually told me to go out and get in a real fight. I don't think this is particularly ethical, but it's certainly how he learned to apply what he practiced.

The point is, you can't look at a few videos of guys training or competing and think that's the sum total of what martial arts has to offer. You know how ridiculous guys rolling around on the floor grabbing each other looks to an untrained observer? Quite. But that has nothing to do with its effectiveness.