FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-18-2006, 02:39 AM

Default Re: New Fight Question

[ QUOTE ]
Boxing = sport
UFC = sport
MMA = mixed MARTIAL ARTIST

[/ QUOTE ]

UFC is mixed martial arts. I meant MMA as referring to the sport. UFC champions are not the pinnacle of mixed martial arts, as UFC is one of the many brand names in Mixed Martial Arts.

I am not so naive as to think that all martial artists have trained in only one style. In fact, since the days of Bruce Lee, it's probably the case that very FEW have trained in only one style. But as for the training to end a human life, I would still argue that those techniques are limited in effectiveness unless they are practiced full force on a resisting/attacking opponent, which of course is unrealistic from a training standpoint. How do you know you can realistically apply your move well enough to kill someone if you've never killed anyone with it?
Old 12-18-2006, 02:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Some people here need to abandon the ideas of traditional martial arts propaganda....

[/ QUOTE ]
Some of the hardcore MMA proponents here need to remember where the sport came from. Boxing, Jiu-jitsu (which came from judo, which came from ju-jitsu), wrestling, and Muay Thai have been around for a long time, sometimes thousands of years. So while I think the best MMA fighter has the best chance to win, have a little respect for MMA's roots.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you misunderstood me. I have tremendous respect for MMA's roots. It was originally a blend of taking the most efective attacks and defenses from all the matrial arts you listed.

I was talking in the sense of death touches and kung fu movies, not tried and true techniques.
Old 12-18-2006, 02:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Some people here need to abandon the ideas of traditional martial arts propaganda....

[/ QUOTE ]
Some of the hardcore MMA proponents here need to remember where the sport came from. Boxing, Jiu-jitsu (which came from judo, which came from ju-jitsu), wrestling, and Muay Thai have been around for a long time, sometimes thousands of years. So while I think the best MMA fighter has the best chance to win, have a little respect for MMA's roots.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you misunderstood me. I have tremendous respect for MMA's roots. It was originally a blend of taking the most efective attacks and defenses from all the matrial arts you listed.

I was talking in the sense of death touches and kung fu movies, not tried and true techniques.

[/ QUOTE ]
Then I'm not sure who you're addressing, because no one has argued recently for dim mak or movie stuff.
Old 12-18-2006, 02:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Then I'm not sure who you're addressing, because no one has argued recently for dim mak or movie stuff.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry then, that was meant more as a general statement, not referring to any recent comments (althought I saw a few in earlier pages).
Old 12-18-2006, 03:10 AM

Default Re: The Answer

Meh, I only read the first 2 pages but here is my input. Both of my cousins are Navy SEALs. They are both highly trained Ju Jitsu and other forms of martial arts.
Old 12-18-2006, 03:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
UFC champions are not the pinnacle of mixed martial arts, as UFC is one of the many brand names in Mixed Martial Arts.

[/ QUOTE ]
Exactly. The original question stated UFC champion, so I wouldn't pick that guy. But if the eastern martial artist only practiced one very limited style, then I wouldn't take him, either. So maybe there's a problem with the question and the way it was phrased. It's pretty vague. For instance "World's best real streetfighter from a gang or whatever".

I think most of us will agree that anyone who's a favorite in a fight to the death should have considerable experience fighting in a real situation. Thinking otherwise is like thinking you can read a poker book and then sit at a table of pros. But don't assume any of the world's best fighters haven't gotten in a real fight. A lot of these guys, whatever they may say, are real tools. That's probably why they decided to dedicate so much of their life to learning how to fight. People like to try things. Fighters like to fight. It's only natural.
Old 12-18-2006, 03:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The original question stated UFC champion

[/ QUOTE ]
I think you're being a nit. The spirit of the OP seemed to mean the best MMA fighter. David might only know it as UFC or might not know of the other organizations out there.
Old 12-18-2006, 03:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
UFC champions are not the pinnacle of mixed martial arts, as UFC is one of the many brand names in Mixed Martial Arts.

[/ QUOTE ]
Exactly. The original question stated UFC champion, so I wouldn't pick that guy. But if the eastern martial artist only practiced one very limited style, then I wouldn't take him, either. So maybe there's a problem with the question and the way it was phrased. It's pretty vague. For instance "World's best real streetfighter from a gang or whatever".

I think most of us will agree that anyone who's a favorite in a fight to the death should have considerable experience fighting in a real situation. Thinking otherwise is like thinking you can read a poker book and then sit at a table of pros. But don't assume any of the world's best fighters haven't gotten in a real fight. A lot of these guys, whatever they may say, are real tools. That's probably why they decided to dedicate so much of their life to learning how to fight. People like to try things. Fighters like to fight. It's only natural.

[/ QUOTE ]

First off, the poker comparison is a good one.

Second, I would still probably take the UFC champion, unless it's the heavyweight division, which is a joke. BUt that's besides the point.

The point is that the person who trains the most effectively and fights the most realistically will win the fight, whether to the death or otherwise.
Old 12-18-2006, 03:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The original question stated UFC champion

[/ QUOTE ]
I think you're being a nit. The spirit of the OP seemed to mean the best MMA fighter. David might only know it as UFC or might not know of the other organizations out there.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was also going on this assumption. UFC is the dominant brand in the US, so many people just call it ultimate fighting. I think the point is the same either way.
Old 12-18-2006, 03:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think you're being a nit.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's fair. I think you're probably right about that. So let me ask another question for those who are followers of MMA:

Do you think a MMA competition is the best way to determine who would win a real fight, as in: no rules, to the death.

I can say with ultimate confidence that Taekwon-Do competition doesn't do anything close to approximating that. I have fought a world champion, and while I wouldn't even remotely stand a chance in a scored match with him, I could easily land a fight stopping punch because he doesn't even practice defending against this sort of thing. They don't score punches.

And if you do think it's the best way to determine who would win a real fight, how accurate do you think it is? Like, what's the variance?