Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Two Plus Two > Special Sklansky Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-17-2006, 03:57 PM

Default Re: New Fight Question

better question -- who would win in a pole vaulting competition...
the world's best pole vaulter, or stephen hawking?
Old 12-17-2006, 05:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
better question -- who would win in a pole vaulting competition...
the world's best pole vaulter, or stephen hawking?

[/ QUOTE ]

Old 12-17-2006, 09:59 PM

Ok so i am 6'5" 225 and have never trained to fight and i have kicked a navy seals ass before albiet he was about 6'0" 200. He is obviously not the best fighter the seals have to offer as he had only been a seal for 2 years but either way he definitely didn't possess amazing hand to hand combat skills seeing as he was the one that started the fight with a sucker punch and within 30 seconds i had dropped him to the ground and had people pulling me off of him.

And as far as mma guys are concerned they definitely have a big edge here because they train in many different styles (hence the term mixed martial arts) like boxing, brazilian jui-jitsu, muay thai, etc. so to think that an expert in just one can beat someone who is an expert in all of them is silly (just research bruce lee's opinion on this).
Old 12-17-2006, 10:45 PM

I myself practice mixed martial arts and i also started with the more traditional karate ... as oposed to the kick boxing and grappling that is taught in the ufc style school. trhe ufc fighters will come out on top ALL DAY LONG . Navy seals and such are taught similar styles of fighting that ufc fighters train in.
Old 12-17-2006, 10:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ok so i am 6'5" 225 and have never trained to fight and i have kicked a navy seals ass before albiet he was about 6'0" 200.

[/ QUOTE ]

How do you know he was a SEAL?
Old 12-18-2006, 01:55 AM

Some people here need to abandon the ideas of traditional martial arts propaganda. First, there are four options in this scenario who have any formal training in unarmed combat: the Seal, the boxer, the traditional martial artist, and the mixed martial artist. The person who will come out on top first must have trained their skills against a resisting opponent. That excludes the traditional martial artist unless he's practiced something like Muay Thai or Kyokushin which emphazise full contact sparring, putting them in the same category as the boxer. You can have all the death touches you want, but until you've killed somebody with it, you don't know you can use it in a fight effectively. A ninjitsu kata is really effective when you know exactly what your opponent is gonna do, but when he bull-rushes you, it's not gonna look like a Stevan Segal movie with some elaborate flip. The boxer (or thai fighter, read above) has a nice chance there, because his strikes are probably the best out of the group (if he is decent at what he does). He is in good physical shape, he can probably hit hard and quick. But he can't grapple. The second the fight goes to a clinch (and it inevitably does), he's done. The fight goes to the ground, and the sweet science is useless when you're on your back. His best chance is to land a punch before the clinch is initiated, so if you've ever watched a boxing match you know it takes about 20 seconds before that happens. I've seen probably close to 200 no-holds-barred fights (not MMA), and many featured skilled pure boxers taking on NHB fighters. The boxers never, I repeat never land that punch while the fighter initiates the clinch. I'm discounting that argument as ridiculous. Ask the Gracie family how many times they've been knocked out by boxers. MMA fighters train to initiate the clinch while avoiding damage. So we're left with the Seal and the MMA fighter, both of whom know how to strike and grapple. The thing here is, the MMA fighter is better at both. He trains and fights for a living. Military training is very limited in hand-to-hand combat, and for good reason. It's rare that in a battle you'll come to an unarmed phase of combat. But they do receive realistic training in unarmed combat. The same training MMA fighters receive. In the military, they practice brazilian jiujitsu, or combat grappling. They learn boxing techniques. Frequently, MMA fighters are brought in to instruct troops in unarmed combat. They train the same techniques and positions, but the MMA fighter does it 6 hours a day, every day.

The MMA fighter wins because his techniques are trained in realistic situations against resisting (and attacking) opponents. He is skilled in both striking and grappling. And he is very experienced in what he does. The choice is easy. The MMA fighter gets the fight on the ground, and lands most likely a choke, the most common finishing hold against inexperienced opposition. A basic blood choke reders the opponent unconscious in 5-10 seconds (has happened tons of times in UFC for example). You hold that choke until he's dead if you want, plain and simple.
Old 12-18-2006, 02:08 AM

I see by our newcomer here that somebody has posted this topic on Sherdog. This could get ugly.
Old 12-18-2006, 02:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I see by our newcomer here that somebody has posted this topic on Sherdog. This could get ugly.

[/ QUOTE ]

What's more shocking is that there's actually a moderate debate going on there too, it hasn't even degenerated into threats and racial epithets.
Old 12-18-2006, 02:33 AM

Boxing = sport
UFC = sport
MMA = mixed MARTIAL ARTIST

did everyone read the OP? The best MMA wasn't the question. The best UFC champion was in the question. And it was never stated that the 'martial artist' could only strike. If you want to think every martial artist only practices the fruity kung fu you see in the movies, go ahead, but that's not the reality. Martial arts were originally invented to kill people with, not for sport.

If you want to say that a grappler would have no problem against someone who's never fought a grappler before, I'll give that to you. But the world's BEST martial artist has had someone take them down before, trust me. And he's learned from it. And he's practiced defenses against it.

So if the question was to determine who would be the world's ideal fighter, then the answer is a tremendous athlete who's spent an unreasonable amount of time training in as many conceivable ways to end a human life as the can, and how to avoid as many of these ways as possible.
Old 12-18-2006, 02:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Some people here need to abandon the ideas of traditional martial arts propaganda....

[/ QUOTE ]
Some of the hardcore MMA proponents here need to remember where the sport came from. Boxing, Jiu-jitsu (which came from judo, which came from ju-jitsu), wrestling, and Muay Thai have been around for a long time, sometimes thousands of years. So while I think the best MMA fighter has the best chance to win, have a little respect for MMA's roots.