Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-07-2007, 06:12 PM

Default Re: Farha VS. Sbrugby

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Regardless of whether Brian's winnings today is due to variance or a solid edge, how long til Farha tilts away?

[/ QUOTE ]

Barry gave Farha 5 for steam control, so its possible for him to blow up.
But no worry, he'll offer a flip for 1.1M vs Brians 1M and win it all back.

[/ QUOTE ]

barry gave farha a 5 so it MUST BE TRUE.
Old 06-07-2007, 06:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Regardless of whether Brian's winnings today is due to variance or a solid edge, how long til Farha tilts away?

[/ QUOTE ]

Barry gave Farha 5 for steam control, so its possible for him to blow up.
But no worry, he'll offer a flip for 1.1M vs Brians 1M and win it all back.

[/ QUOTE ]

barry gave farha a 5 so it MUST BE TRUE.

[/ QUOTE ]

I said it's possible.
Old 06-07-2007, 06:17 PM

Default Re: Farha VS. Srugby

[ QUOTE ]
From all the information we have on Brian, I do not think he would have really flipped for $450,000. he is just trying to convince himself he would.

This episode reminds me of the great non-fiction book on wall street "Liar's Poker." It is about Salomon Brothers in the early 1980's.

Michael Lewis writes about the traders ordering Mexican food with 5 gallon drums of guacamole. "Do you know how much food you have to eat to use five gallons of guacamole?"

The most famous scene in the book involves the gambling game Liar's poker. All the bond traders used to play the game for large sums of money all day long. One of the best and most fearless players was the head of bond trading , John Merriwether.

The head of the firm was John Gutfreund. He had been a trader, but not for a number of years. He resented that when he was on the trading floor he was treated as an outsider, not one of the boys, since he no longer put his ass on the line anymore. He wanted to re-establish his maverick side with the traders.

One day Gutfreund walked up to Merriwether in front of all the other traders. Gutfreund said "One hand, one million dollars, no tears."

Most games were for only a few hundred dollars. No tears meant no whining or complaining after your million dollar loss.

"The code of the Liar's poker was something like the code of a gunslinger. It required the trader to accept all challenges. Because of the code- which was his code- John Merriwether felt obliged to play. But he knew it was stupid. For him, there was no upside. if he won, he upset Gutfreund. No good came of this. But if he lost he was out of pocket a million bucks. This was far worse than upsetting the boss. Although Merriwether was by far the better player of the game, in a single hand anything can happen. Luck could very well determine the outcome. Merriwether spent his entire day avoiding dumb bets, and he wasn’t about to accept this one.

“No, John,” he said , “if we’re going to play for those type of numbers, I’d rather play for real money. ten Million dollars. No tears.”

Ten millions dollars. It was a moment for all players to savor. Merriwether was playing Liar’s poker before the game even started. He was bluffing.

Gutfreund put on a forced smile and said “You’re crazy.” And then he walked off the trading floor.

- Liar’s Poker by Michael Lewis

This is a great book full of NVG type stories on a much larger scale.

Topset72

[/ QUOTE ]

I enjoyed that story, thanks
Old 06-07-2007, 06:18 PM

whats the stop loss for each player do you think? like what number down at anytime do they just say, i have to stop?

as we have seen, brian was 1.2 million down and didnt stop, you think if he hit 2mill down he would have said, "enough"

what about farha, at what point does he stop? he seems to have a money tree, so i would imagine his stop loss it alot higher than aba's...

this match is about as cool as it gets are we are lucky that one of the parties is open enough to let us follow along
Old 06-07-2007, 06:21 PM

So maybe the reason aba didn't do the flip was because losing that money would have stopped him from being able to play Farha, or atleast taken away from his stoploss. Depends if he thinks his edge against Farha is bigger than the edge he had on the flip, which I'm sure it is.

Also def cool of aba to keep us informed like this.
Old 06-07-2007, 06:23 PM

daniel alaei said in another thread farha is an action junkie and has bottomless pockets so his stop loss is non exisent. i would say abas is 3 million but that a pure guess
Old 06-07-2007, 06:26 PM

I'd say aba's stop loss would be 2.0 million. He then would wait a day to cool down, gather funds, and prolly play another 2 mill.

So total stop loss in 4 million range. Being willing to flip for .5mill shpws how deep his bank is.

Farhas stop loss = his BR/worth, so id say 24-32 mill?
Old 06-07-2007, 06:29 PM

Day 3 of Sammy vs. Brian Zimba reporting...

Day 3 of the HU PLO and NLH series between Sammy Farha and Brian Townsend began at Bobby's room at the Bellagio about 1:30pm Pacific. Stakes remained the same from previous days at 500/1k. More sessions are planned this week. On site reporters haven't been allowedto give more detailed reports, so I will use Brian's blog to make occasional updates when i'm text messaged.

2 pm - Brian is off to a quick start and up 200k in the first 30 minutes.

2:55 pm - Brian continuing his good play and up 370k
Old 06-07-2007, 06:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
daniel alaei said in another thread farha is an action junkie and has bottomless pockets so his stop loss is non exisent. i would say abas is 3 million but that a pure guess

[/ QUOTE ]
Alaei is on 2+2?
Old 06-07-2007, 06:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Alaei is on 2+2?

[/ QUOTE ]
yep but only has a few posts his SR is alaei so just search him