Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > BBV4Life
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Libertarians
I consider myself a libertarian and agree with the pro-israeli stance more than the pro-palestinian one. 16 76.19%
I consider myself a libertarian and agree with the pro-palestinian stance more than the pro-israeli one. 5 23.81%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-17-2007, 02:40 AM

Default Re: My Campus is getting shot up.

Really sad to hear of this. Sadly enough, my first thought too was, "how many dead"? This type of [censored] is far far far too commonplace.

On the topic of gun control, and only because it has been mentioned in this thread:

I'm a 25 year old guy from East Texas. As some of you may or may not know, it is both a generalization and a fact that Texans love their guns. I do. I now live in Southern California, and I can honestly say that THE hardest thing about living out here is not carrying my pistol with me everywhere I go.

The idea that people cannot control themselves in the presence of weapons is just so stupid, I can't stand it.

It goes like this......you shoot first, I shoot last.

All I'm saying is this.....it only took ONE of those victims in ONE of those classrooms to pull his .45 and go to work. No one did. No one could.

We can all mourn the lost, and we all should. My question will always be.....why could no one defend themselves?
Old 04-17-2007, 02:43 AM

Yeah thats what I was trying to get at but everyone flamed me for it. Good luck.
Old 04-17-2007, 02:46 AM

Let them flame. I LIVED in that type of environment for 23 years. I learned to shoot before I learned to ride a bike.
Old 04-17-2007, 02:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Really sad to hear of this. Sadly enough, my first thought too was, "how many dead"? This type of [censored] is far far far too commonplace.

On the topic of gun control, and only because it has been mentioned in this thread:

I'm a 25 year old guy from East Texas. As some of you may or may not know, it is both a generalization and a fact that Texans love their guns. I do. I now live in Southern California, and I can honestly say that THE hardest thing about living out here is not carrying my pistol with me everywhere I go.

The idea that people cannot control themselves in the presence of weapons is just so stupid, I can't stand it.

All I'm saying is this.....it only took ONE of those victims in ONE of those classrooms to pull his .45 and go to work. No one did. No one could.

We can all mourn the lost, and we all should. My question will always be.....why could no one defend themselves?

[/ QUOTE ]

sorry but this is wrong. Having a bunch of young college kids who are intoxicated, running around campus with guns is not going to make the any place safer. Maybe in this outlier situation it would help but year in and year out this would turn out real bad
Old 04-17-2007, 02:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]

sorry but this is wrong. Having a bunch of young college kids who are intoxicated, running around campus with guns is not going to make the any place safer. Maybe in this outlier situation it would help but year in and year out this would turn out real bad

[/ QUOTE ]

First of all, don't apologize to me for having an opinion, if you weren't being sarcastic. In the case of sarcasm, I'll first say that I now see why this needs a seperate thread. Second, I think it's TOTALLY irresponsible to assume that college aged people are STUPID enough to play with guns. The first time you even SEE a gunshot wound, you'll have a HUGE respect for what a gun can do. A.45 1911 will make you vomit. It's nothing pretty, or even cool.

My alma mater(Lamar University in Beaumont, Texas) is:

A)a minority school
B)full of people carrying guns

Care to venture a guess how man gun related crimes were committed on that campus during my 4 years there?
Old 04-17-2007, 02:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah thats what I was trying to get at but everyone flamed me for it. Good luck.

[/ QUOTE ]

From a quick scan of your last few posts in this thread, it would appear you haven't been paying much attention to what's actually going on.

The first shooting happened at about 7:15 ET this morning. From what police (both city and school) could tell, this was isolated. Are they going to shut down an entire 2600-acre, 25000+ student campus when every piece of evidence shows that the situation is likely over?

When the second report came in, they shut down campus. They did so in as effective a manner as possible. Most schools have moved to email as their primary contact medium with students, and they got the info out as quick as they possibly could, while working with local and state authorities in a ridiculously hectic emergency situation.

And as far as the "quote" from the president about tuition, if you believed that without seeing it corroborated anywhere official, you're really not helping your case.

Done sidetracking - I've been in the politics and OOT threads, just dropped by here. Prayers and love to Va Tech victims, friends, and families.
Old 04-17-2007, 03:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Slippery slope. The younger college kids wouldn't be carrying you have to be 21 to own a handgun. While on campus is when most college students are sober.

Problem I see is the rule is only to make people feel safer. Ahhh no one is allowed to have guns on campus.

Problem is a guy who is willing to shoot/kill people probably doesn't care about being kicked out of school. While the good guy who would only use gun to protect himself/others cannot have his gun because he follows the rules.
Old 04-17-2007, 03:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

From a quick scan of your last few posts in this thread, it would appear you haven't been paying much attention to what's actually going on.

The first shooting happened at about 7:15 ET this morning. From what police (both city and school) could tell, this was isolated. Are they going to shut down an entire 2600-acre, 25000+ student campus when every piece of evidence shows that the situation is likely over?

When the second report came in, they shut down campus. They did so in as effective a manner as possible. Most schools have moved to email as their primary contact medium with students, and they got the info out as quick as they possibly could, while working with local and state authorities in a ridiculously hectic emergency situation.

And as far as the "quote" from the president about tuition, if you believed that without seeing it corroborated anywhere official, you're really not helping your case.

Done sidetracking - I've been in the politics and OOT threads, just dropped by here. Prayers and love to Va Tech victims, friends, and families.

[/ QUOTE ]
Ty for actually telling me what the real deal is instead of just flaming.
Old 04-17-2007, 07:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you have a faith in the general public that is way out of wack. I know many people who own handguns who have them for "security". Many of them have never fired the gun but I don't doubt they would try if they felt threatened. People "trying" to use a gun and people who know how to use a gun is a huge difference. Here's a scenario for you :

Let's say that students in that classroom were packing. The gunman goes in, he's going to get off a few rounds before someone can draw and shoot him. So now you have multiple gunshots going on in the school. Obviously a heavy police presence is going to come, plus there's going to be all those other people packing who now have a false sense of security trying to help out fellow man. This hall is now over run with people carrying guns and willing to use it because of the fear that someone is going to shoot them. Only the few in the classroom will know the truth that the lone gunman has been subdued.

You really think everything would be peachy then?
Old 04-17-2007, 09:35 AM

New York Times, CNN say it's Cho Seung-Hui, a 23 yo Korean-American male.

For what it's worth, all of you who posted here were far more informative and insightful than the national news, especially those of you at VT (at least before this thread became a trainwreck). I love this place.