Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 10-05-2007, 03:45 PM

Default Re: **Official** uNL Microbrew Thread - October

I'll definitely pick up a copy. I heard somewhere that it's really more applicable to 100NL+. Is it worth getting if I plan to stay around 50NL? (When my bankroll has gotten high enough for 100NL in the past, I cash out and keep playing 50NL - just a personal preference).
Old 10-05-2007, 03:47 PM

My opinion is that PNL applies to the FTP NL50
Old 10-05-2007, 03:51 PM

My only advice for all of this is this simple yet time consuming drill. After every session go to game notes hit get all sort by losers and make two columns on a notebook. Losing hands and Mistakes. Figure out what you should lose (losing hands) and what you should not have lost (mistakes) for every hand over 4bb. Do the same for your winners. Take the total and divide the mistakes into the total and see where you are. I started doing this two months ago and my improvement is killer. I'm making 10-15% less mistakes on both winners and losers and doing this forces you to go through everything after every session and ask yourself why did I play this hand this way and what better way could I have played it.
Old 10-05-2007, 03:53 PM

Every book ive read has been a repitition of every other book i've read, i've got like 25 in a draw sat unread or browsed.

Is PNL really that good? Ive heard about this "commitment" thing which i thought sounded strange, perhaps it was used in the wrong context.

See i consider preflop as more "advertising". Wide range gets you more action as its harder to read "you could have anything". Nits on the other hand are easier to read, so easier to play and are given more respect.

Knowing what your image is and post flop hand reading/play are far more important to me than figuring out what im going to raise UTG and if KJo is good or bad to raise.

If your a nit who felts every AA then perhaps its a postflop problem, not the fact you fold KJo utg but raise it in the CO.
Old 10-05-2007, 03:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My opinion is that PNL applies to the FTP NL50

[/ QUOTE ]

I have no idea to what it "applies" or why it shouldn't apply to a specific limit. It's a pretty general book that talks about ranges etc. There is no clear cut strategy in it. Maybe you want to play hands differently on specific limits, i.e. make different commitment decisions (i.e. being willing to get it all-in), but since the book doesn't give you a clear cut strategy, you can adjust it to every limit, imo. And if the reason is that on <100NL you can get every TPTK payed off for 100BB easily, well, that's kind of the same crappy advice as "your 20K hands downswing is just variance, because you were a winner before that!"
It helped me understand the dynamics of the game that depend on stack, bet and pot sizes a lot better. It helps anticipating situations and therefore managing getting into them or staying out of them, depending on what you want.
Old 10-05-2007, 03:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My only advice for all of this is this simple yet time consuming drill. After every session go to game notes hit get all sort by losers and make two columns on a notebook. Losing hands and Mistakes. Figure out what you should lose (losing hands) and what you should not have lost (mistakes) for every hand over 4bb. Do the same for your winners. Take the total and divide the mistakes into the total and see where you are. I started doing this two months ago and my improvement is killer. I'm making 10-15% less mistakes on both winners and losers and doing this forces you to go through everything after every session and ask yourself why did I play this hand this way and what better way could I have played it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ohh i like that calculation, i do this but never ran any calc [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Thanks for that sir, although perhaps still subjective.
Old 10-05-2007, 04:02 PM

BTW all but the percent calculations were stated in a post by MYNAMEIZGREGG some time ago. He advocated going through every hand over 4xbb and I took what he said and pushed it to a new level doing the percents and taking notes to add to my notes file. Wished I could find that post, I would link it for others.

Edit: http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/sh...age=0&vc=1
Old 10-05-2007, 04:05 PM

Ah 4BB is way to small, that'd take me 2hours in raises LOL.

I review 20BB pots (A pfr + a cbet and a call).
Old 10-05-2007, 04:07 PM

To quote his post

"5) Review your sessions.
After my sessions, I review EVERY HAND that I played. That means I put the table into PT and look hand by hand. I look at every hand where the pot was over xbb. I look at the action, and I take notes on my opponents. Even playing only 4 tables, I don’t pick up on everything. I save these notes to a text document, or import them to the site directly if applicable. This is especially helpful if you play vs the same people a lot. Of course, if you play a session late at night, you can always go to bed after and review it in the morning or afternoon, before your next session, generally when the games aren’t as good."
Old 10-05-2007, 04:46 PM

I dug up some stats from the beginning of my poker career, just to throw a spanner in the works - smallish sample size, but a killer winrate and a very low W$WSF

Closed Thread