Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Is this a good idea or a bad idea?
Good 10 66.67%
Bad 5 33.33%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-03-2007, 04:18 AM

Default Re: **** OFFICIAL Premiership 2007-08 season Thread!*****

Liverpool FTW
Old 09-04-2007, 12:03 AM

Hey all, here is a chart I made over the weekend. It has the point totals for every Premier League champ for each week.
Old 09-04-2007, 07:04 AM

Nice work. Not sure what to make of it though. I think it shows that competition at the top is getting harder and harder, and if you want to win it, you need to hit 90+.

Would be interesting to see a chart showing league position per weekly basis, with all the talk about "early days". A chart like that would show us how soon we could say about a team that they are contenders for the title, i.e. if it was very common that the title winners would be top after ten games.
Old 09-04-2007, 07:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Nice work. Not sure what to make of it though.

[/ QUOTE ]

i believe it shows that a team needs to steadily increase its point total if it has any chance of being champion.

preferably by 3.
Old 09-04-2007, 11:00 AM

TheRenaissance, I have been trying to find a way to gauge whether a team is a legit title contender based on their point totals at different stages.

I have the totals for each fixture round for those teams. I also have the mean for each fixture round. Do you guys think I should get the standard deviations for each round and graph them as well?
Old 09-04-2007, 11:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
TheRenaissance, I have been trying to find a way to gauge whether a team is a legit title contender based on their point totals at different stages.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think your graph can give you what you are looking for. The schedules vary from year to year, and it makes a huge difference how the contenders play against one another. For this year, Man U can get turned around very quickly based on how they play the top teams.
Old 09-04-2007, 11:26 AM

TSC,

Can you give the same chart for the second placed team? That will be better IMO as that's the mark that's necessary. If a team wins the title by 10 points then they got 9 more than they needed and that will skew the data.
Old 09-04-2007, 11:32 AM

I'd like to see a chart the graphs each championship table standing by week. I think this might give you a better idea of what you are looking for.
Old 09-04-2007, 12:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
TSC,

Can you give the same chart for the second placed team? That will be better IMO as that's the mark that's necessary. If a team wins the title by 10 points then they got 9 more than they needed and that will skew the data.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is much more important. There were a couple of years that we won the league by 10-14 pts, and the year that aresenal didn't lose a game they won the league pretty handily. I know that the year we won the league with 93 pts or so, we won it by 15 pts IIRC.

This type of stuff is extremely variable because you also have to take into account who is at the bottom of the league. There are some years where the bottom two or three clubs are just major whipping boys so that they pad the stats, or you take the year when West Ham went down with 43 pts where the clubs between 18-15 were pretty good for bottom of the table clubs.

what I'm getting to is that going purely off of points is hard as the league gets changed up by 3 clubs each year and some clubs are stronger then other. This year we'll probably see mroe points for the top clubs because it's evident early that there is a big gap between Birmingham, Wigan, Derby, and Sunderland as compared to the rest of the league(in fact, we don't really know how reading are going to be just yet too as the sophmore jinx may very well come into play).

I've been following the league for ten years now, and I've seen a decent amount of ups and downs and I've also seen clubs come on fire and then fade fast. I've seen Villa and Charlton top the table at times in the past after 10-12 games and then fall back to teh mid table, and look at last year where it looked for a while that charlton wouldn't go down and they ended up getting the drop. I've also seen Ipswich get 5th one year and fall back to getting 18th the next. Basically what I'm saying is that we'll know more about how the season will go by the first couple of days after the new year
Old 09-04-2007, 01:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
TSC,

[/ QUOTE ]I can do this. It will take some time and I can't do it until I get home.

How about graphing the average points of the champ and 2nd place?

Do you want to see the graph per round, or just season end totals?
BTW, my point isn't to prove a team is out of it. I am just curious if there any benchmarks or trends in regards to point totals per fixture round.