Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-05-2007, 06:52 AM

Default Re: Week 10 Rank\'em

From a perspective of tarnishing the current BCS system; what would be worse - undefeated OSU playing undefeated Kansas for the National title?

Or a controversy over OSU vs one of LSU and Oregon with one loss each?

As someone who watches this stuff develop from across the Atlantic - it baffles me as to why there isn't a playoff system in place for the National Championship admitting at least 8 teams for a post season.
Old 11-05-2007, 08:52 AM

LuckyLloyd,

In my opinion, the latter scenario would be more controversial, especially when something like that has happened in the past and people were all up in arms about it.

Thing is, if there was no BCS and the two championship teams were just selected by polls, either of those scenarios could happen fairly easily.
Old 11-05-2007, 08:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
suppose OSU was playing Michigan this week instead of next (it's at Michigan) -- what is the point spread?

-4.5 OSU sound about right?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it'd be higher given Henne and Hart injuries. I'd say -6.5, maybe even across the 7.
Old 11-05-2007, 09:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Don't worry, Kansas won't be winning out. Just go ahead and assume they have one loss even if it comes in the title game.

@Oklahoma St. - They beat Texas, they could beat KU.
Missouri - Has a good shot at beating KU.
Title game...

[/ QUOTE ]

Uh... no they didn't. In any case, I give Kansas about a 10% chance of going undefeated.
Old 11-05-2007, 09:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, that sounds pretty accurate. If I were to guess, I'd say it opens at -5, and gets bet down to maybe -4 by kickoff.

With that said, I've got a strong feeling Michigan's going to pull the upset. This is pretty much the same offense that put up 38 points on the Buckeyes last year, and the Big House is going to be crazy. I say a last-second TD gives it to Michigan 27-26.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are forgetting that the Ohio State defense is a ton better this year than last. You are also forgetting that Michigan's last TD and 2 point conversion came in their miracle attempts to come back. You are also forgetting that the field was destroyed from rain and previous games and it made it very difficult for defenses to do much in the game.

Add in the Henne and Hart injury situation, the addition of Beanie Wells as our main running back, and I see value up to -7.
Old 11-05-2007, 10:47 AM

I think tOSU is solid this year, but I still don't really know where they are compared to other top 10 schools since they still really haven't played anyone that good. Even if they do crush Michigan on the road, Michigan (I'm a UM fan) is really not that good this year.

SOS is 62 in the country in comparison, Oregon and LSU are #13 and #12 respectively according to Saragin. Honestly I think there both better with Oregon being the best team in the country right now in my eyes. It's hard to pick them over a 0 loss team in a big conference though.

Honestly a win a PSU is a decent win, a win vs Wisconsin is decent but neither is really that great. Also their d is good but what Os have they played. And I'm not talking about Os that ran up the score OOC, I'm talking about teams that can actually score against anyone. tOSU D was good last year until they played UF and Michigan, then they didn't seem all that great.
Old 11-05-2007, 03:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
LuckyLloyd,

In my opinion, the latter scenario would be more controversial, especially when something like that has happened in the past and people were all up in arms about it.

Thing is, if there was no BCS and the two championship teams were just selected by polls, either of those scenarios could happen fairly easily.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the reply. It just seems to me that Kansas and OSU playing for a national title would be ridiculous when their schedules are compared to that of LSU. And I know people will argue that some of the wins that OSU and Kansas have racked up are genuinely impressive - but Younstown State; Kent State; Akron and Central Michigan; Southern Louisiana; Toledo are essentially freebies that help to pad the record and allow teams to build confidence and ease into the season.

The system just doesn't make any sense to me.
Old 11-05-2007, 04:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Don't worry, Kansas won't be winning out. Just go ahead and assume they have one loss even if it comes in the title game.

@Oklahoma St. - They beat Texas, they could beat KU.
Missouri - Has a good shot at beating KU.
Title game...

[/ QUOTE ]

Uh... no they didn't. In any case, I give Kansas about a 10% chance of going undefeated.

[/ QUOTE ]

10% is pretty close, probably a tad low.

70% to beat OSU
100% to beat ISU
50% to beat MU

That's 35% to be undefeated going into the game against OU. I would think at that point they're better than 28% against OU on a neutral field.

But 10% is pretty close.
Old 11-05-2007, 04:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
LuckyLloyd,

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the reply. It just seems to me that Kansas and OSU playing for a national title would be ridiculous when their schedules are compared to that of LSU. And I know people will argue that some of the wins that OSU and Kansas have racked up are genuinely impressive - but Younstown State; Kent State; Akron and Central Michigan; Southern Louisiana; Toledo are essentially freebies that help to pad the record and allow teams to build confidence and ease into the season.

The system just doesn't make any sense to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

lsu has 3 cupcakes also
Old 11-05-2007, 04:48 PM

They also play in the SEC. I used to be down on the SEC but it is very hard to win each week on the road. The same can't be said for the Big 10 at all atleast right now. tOSU, Michigan are good and tOSU might be great, the rest of the Big 10 is decent but not anything special in comparison to the SEC/Pac-10 right now.